Are cartoons, comics, video games, etc., about street gangs and/or street fighters still popular?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Dragonball is/was a popular action/adventure anime franchise:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
OMG it doesn't get any better than this.......
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 12:23 am
@glitterbag,
Hello Glitter. I don't understand your comment. You like this thread?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 01:37 am
@glitterbag,
Apparently regular and old-fashioned action stuff is not as popular as it used to be.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 01:38 am
@JGoldman10,
It just so happened to coincide with an epidemic of galloping scrotrot.

Coincidence or shrewd marketing campaign?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 01:42 am
@glitterbag,
This is probably a silly question but is Dragonball considered a superhero franchise?

That's probably why the new DB series Rebel mentioned is so popular.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:28 am
@glitterbag,
Yes GB. What were all those years working in intelligence for if not to be able to say if Dragonballzy is still considered a superhero franchise and not just a term to describe royal genital mishaps?

It’s not like “is North Korea developing chemical weapons?” this is important ferchrissakes.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:09 am
@JGoldman10,
Gangs of New York is critically acclaimed, but it is not very popular with general audiences. Same can be said with all of the films directed by Martin Scorsese, who also directed The Last Temptation of Christ, if we are talking about blasphemous films.

Def Jam: Fight for NY was more of a cult favorite than a generally popular game. At that time in 2004, the shooter game Halo 2 was the most popular game.

Non superhero action films are still popular: The Fast and The Furious, John Wick, Mad Max, Kingsman, etc.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:39 am
@JGoldman10,
Not at all.

Dragon Ball Z did have a story arc where Gohan becomes a superhero The Great Saiyaman while he went to school.

Dragon Ball Super had a follow up arc where a film studio wanted to make a Saiyaman movie years later when Gohan is married and has a family.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:27 pm
If superhero/sci-fi stuff is so popular now, why isnt Disney working on a Darkwing Duck movie?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because Disney is already producing financially successful superhero and sci-fi films.

They are not going to produce a film based on a cartoon that hasn't been relevant in years. At best, Darkwing Duck may appear in the Ducktales reboot in some fashion, but that is it.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:47 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes, Darkwing, along with other classic Disney Afternoon characters, appears in the DuckTales reboot.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:03 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:

Gangs of New York, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio and came out in '02 wasn't popular?

JGoldman10 wrote:

How popular were the Def Jam games? I recall watching a review for Def Jam: Fight For NY a couple of years back on X-Play on G4TV.

I assume Rebel never heard of the film Gangs of New York? I assume he's not familiar with any of the Def Jam games?
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
I already gave you an answer 6 postings ago in this very thread.
https://able2know.org/topic/548548-2#post-7013964
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes you did. I missed that post. I apologise.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Yes, Darkwing, along with other classic Disney Afternoon characters, appears in the DuckTales reboot.

Apparently Darkwing Duck, which ran in syndication on TV for most of the '90s, didn't have the same lasting impact on pop culture that DuckTales had. Which to me is strange, considering the fact Darkwing Duck was originally conceived as a DuckTales spin-off.

A cartoon show is popular if it spawns at least one movie. Classic cartoon shows like DuckTales, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs all have had at least one movie. Those two Goofy movies that came out were loosely based on Goof Troop.

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 06:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
What was popular back then may not be able to retain the same level of popularity years later.

Many comics published by Image Comics in the 90s (Spawn, Witchblade, The Darkness, Savage Dragon) no longer have the same sky high popularity nowadays, though most are still being published.

Meanwhile, Superman and Batman, who both had major events in the 90s (The Death of Superman, Clark marries Lois, Knightfall, No Man's Land) are still very popular, with both celebrating their 80th anniversaries their 1000th issue.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 07:00 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The animated Batman and Superman shows from the '90s were also very popular.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 07:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
Inversely, some of the major Disney animated films did receive spinoff TV shows and sequels, but very few are still popular, if any at all. All of the TV spinoffs had short lived popularity.

The Lion King 1½ is still good for the most part, having just rewatched it last month.
0 Replies

Positiveplus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 01:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't know if I am getting you right, are you talking about things like Hotline Miami or Mortal Kombat? Maybe these 2 are more evolved video games...

But for me are the best, I loved them from the beginning, and I love them even now.
0 Replies