So much for BritArt: Saatchi turns to Germans

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 12:51 am
Quote:
Sunday, 3 July, 2005

Saatchi show deserts British art

Art collector Charles Saatchi, known for championing British artists, will open a new exhibition this week consisting of works by foreign talent.
The Triumph of Painting: Part Two, at Saatchi's County Hall gallery, in London, will feature works by one Polish and five German painters.

Saatchi last omitted British artists from an exhibition in the 1987 New York Now show in his north London gallery.

Saatchi is well-known for his support of British artists like Damien Hirst.

He owns a vast collection of work, with many pieces by British stars including Hirst, Tracey Emin and the Chapman Brothers, and is also credited with helping to bring Hirst to the attention of the public and the media.

Hirst's now famous work The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - 14-foot tiger shark preserved in formaldehyde- was commissioned by Saatchi in 1991 for £50,000.

The work propelled Hirst to fame after it was first shown in 1992.

Natural disasters

The Triumph of Nature: Part Two will cover subjects as diverse as natural disasters, accidents and the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe.

One room will be dedicated to German painter Franz Ackerman, who deals with topics such as urban generation and offers "an apocalyptic view of an ever-shrinking world" in his canvases.

In another, Polish painter Wilhelm Sasnal's work uses images that emerged during and after the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe. The works of German artist Dirk Skreber's deal with accidents and natural disasters like car crashes and floods.

Another German painter, Albert Oehlen, proclaims there is no viable role for painting today and is said to "subvert art's lofty idealism and focus on exposing art's failures" in his work.

The show is the second instalment in Saatchi's 20th anniversary exhibition. The first opened in January to feature established painters Martin Kippenberger, Peter Doig, Marlene Dumas, Luc Tuymans, Jorg Immendorff and Hermann Nitsch.

The Triumph of Painting: Part Two is open at The Saatchi Gallery from 5 July to 30 October.

Source

Related articles by The Times

Independent

Link to the exhibition / Saatchi Gallery
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 763 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:09 am
Re: So much for BritArt: Saatchi turns to Germans
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Sunday, 3 July, 2005

Saatchi show deserts British art

Art collector Charles Saatchi, known for championing British artists, will open a new exhibition this week consisting of works by foreign talent.
The Triumph of Painting: Part Two, at Saatchi's County Hall gallery, in London, will feature works by one Polish and five German painters.

Really, this should read "Art collector Charles Saatchi, known for paying ehhorbitant amounts of money for ridiculous items that somehow pass for art, has now decided that he should be ripped off by German "Artists" for a few years, as he feels that the British conmen were not charging him enough."

Damien Hirst, speaking from his fifty bedroomed Chateau in Southern France, said " I would like to thank Mr Saatchi, for being such a sucker all these years. Good luck to the Germans, I hope they bleed him dry"
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:34 am
Kewl Walter, would have liked to see more, so, I could make up my own mind. That lonely traveler down the river of life is not enough since I can't be there right now. But, I like it so far.

Thanks
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:46 am
I love many of the old German artist, lets see how I feel about the new ones.
0 Replies