4th of July - tell us more!

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
Whereas with the Jourth of Fuly, one need only grill up some dead pig, suck down way too much beer, and irresponsibly hand out fireworks to the liddlies--nothing could be simpler.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:41 pm
This is the first time I've lived in a state where fireworks are legal, and so running across huge displays of 'em in the grocery store was quite startling; roughly analagous to a big colorful display showcasing "Rastaman's Best-quality Ganja!"

I got some sparklers though (cheap cheap cheap) and we set those off while watching the mongo Columbus fireworks display on Friday, and will do it again tomorrow. Columbus is this strange conglomeration of lots of different cities, towns, and communities all scrunched up together, and the "Red, White and Boom" fireworks display acknowleges that by scheduling itself on a day OTHER than the 4th, so that people can go to their own local displays on the 4th. Weird, kinda cool though.

If you can't tell, the 4th for us is all about fireworks. When I was a kid, my mom and I would get to the state fair grounds to watch most every year -- in later years I would go with friends to watch the ones over the Mississippi river. (I recently wrote about watching one year on my back in a pool with the fireworks right above me and sizzling down into the pool -- probably my best fireworks experience.)

In Madison, there was a big display but we pretty much never went right to it -- would go to a little hill down the lake from it and watch with a bunch of other people, nice view, not too far. (Near where Patiodog lives now, I think.)

Naperville was the best, and sozlet is missing it now, one of the last things we did before moving. They had a huge festival and fireworks, that was really close to our house so we could just walk while people from all over the region were driving in and parking miles away and taking shuttle buses in and such. Also we'd always get free passes for putting up with the general tumult in our neighborhood. Really nice fireworks, always had a good view, and developed a tradition after the first year of going with a group of deaf familes (well, deaf parents, most of the kids were hearing); they'd park in our driveway, we'd all walk together, watch, then come home and have ice cream as the traffic subsided, then they'd drive home.

Friday was the Red White and Boom watch, heard that it was insane downtown so didn't go all the way in, just far enough to see, it was nice. Then still haven't decided on which local one to go to tomorrow, definitely want to get closer in.

So, it's not cookouts, or flags (though we might don red white and blue in an incidental way), or even any particular deep pondering; it's fireworks fireworks fireworks for us.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:45 pm
It is 5:50 pm, the Fourth of July, 1959.
At the backyard picnic table, Mom is just finishing her lobster while the bowls of potato salad, cole slaw and smoky baked beans lay scraped out and scattered amongst the paper plates and crumbled napkins. Pop is sliding back into his seat with "just one more dog and a couple of roasted ears" to finish off the feast. My sisters are armed with marshmallow sticks and are holding them over the dying fire, slowly turning the white orbs, watching for the golden color to appear. My brothers and I are high up in the pear tree listening for the sound of a cannon.

It is 5:55pm, the Fourth of July, 1776.

Benjamin Franklin turns the handle on the door to his room, enters haltingly and takes off his coat. He takes a moment to stare out at the approaching night's darkness. There they are, the people, out on the streets of Philadelphia heading home, heading to work, tomorrow they would learn what the Congress had done today. Ah...our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor... and theirs too, he thought. Theirs too.
"Hark, is that a cannon?"

It is 6:00pm the Fourth of July, 1959.

We watched the scudding skies above us. Rain had threatened all day, even through the parade up Main Street, but as the sun was easing behind the McDowell's red house there were breaks in the clouds and bright beams cut across the fences between the yards. At 6:01pm, the town would signal if there would be fireworks tonight. One cannon blast would tell us all -yes- come down the grass on Mt. Nebo. Bring your blankets and cold drinks and watch in wonder the rockets on high. Silence would mean a rain out and no fit end to this long day of celebration.
"Who's having Shortcake?"
"Shhhh!!"
"You boys come down here."

It is 6:05pm July Fourth 1776.
Mr. Jefferson sat with his pen in one hand and a glass of fortified wine in the other. He enjoyed the silence.

6:10pm the Fourth of July 1959.
We moped through our strawberry shortcake, no cannon shot, no fireworks display, no joy for boys except Pop had bought a dozen sparkles for us and we ran around the table, annoying our sisters as best we could.

KAAAA BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMmmmm ummm ummm ummm.

It is 9:30pm Fourth of July 1776

The late dinner of squab and boiled vegetables left an odd taste in George Washington's mouth. He sat at the table long after the plates had been cleared. This would be a long campaign, but today's work was the clear, unapologetic break needed. Tomorrow he would begin preparations to return to his command.

It is 9:30pm Fourth of July 1959
We have trekked up Valley Street then through the Park, down Main Street and over the big hill to the grassy field on Mt. Nebo. Thousands have joined us. Big kids and little kids, moms and dads on blankets in the darkness.

The first rocket soars up up up up and bursts into a chrysanthemum of red, white and blue.
OOOOOOOOOOhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhhh The crowd settles in for the show.

My brother makes a grass whistle and blows it in my sister's ear. My parents are watching the fires in the sky and he gets away with it.

It is a perfect Fourth.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
Mmmmm.....beautiful, Joe.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
http://www.humorcolumnist.com/images/julyflag.gif

A Weekly Humor Column

Fourth of July

Every year about this time the fireworks tents begin to sprout out by the county line, and I know its almost here again - the 4th of July. As usual, I'm sitting around trying to decide the best way to spend the holiday. This year things seem to boil down pretty much to three choices: a big public gathering, a gathering of friends at the park for a picnic, or a small family-type celebration.

The large public gatherings must be the best. They sure seem to attract plenty of people. The fireworks displays are large and loud. They usually have fantastic food - fantastically overpriced; beer - fantastically over consumed; and traffic jams - fantastically frustrating. If I didn't mind rubbing elbows with sweaty crowds and had plenty of money to waste, this might be a fun way to celebrate. Who knows, I might even be lucky enough to find a place to park without walking several miles from a parking lot.

Celebrating with friends seems like pleasant alternative. A quite day at the park with picnic food, lawn chairs, children, laughing, playing… becoming overly tired… obnoxious, whining children… fighting… arguing - flies buzzing around my delicious potato salad that has been sitting out for hours and is probably full of food poisoning. Serve those flies right if they get botulism. Of course, there will be all sorts of fun things to do - softball, volleyball… in the hot, oppressive July weather. If the sunburn isn't too bad, we might even get away in time to see the local fireworks. If traffic is the usual, we can watch them from the Interstate again this year!

Last but not least, there is the thought of simply staying at home and celebrating with family. My family is always happy to come by where there is free food. Let's see, I will only need to start cooking a day or two ahead to get ready. Maybe we can barbecue, that's easy. Of course, the grill will have to be cleaned. Gee, wonder if I need to check the propane on that gas grill.. hate to run out. The lawn needs to be mowed, and the lawn furniture hasn't been cleaned this year. Boy, it sure is great to have a holiday so I can rest! 

Of course, the family will probably come late, eat and run. They have to hurry to make it to fireworks. I can stay home and protect the roof from the bottle rockets the neighborhood kids are shooting and calm down the dog, who is terrified by the firecrackers.

What fun! Gee, I love a holiday! Sure hope it doesn't rain!

Copyright 1998-2005 Sheila Moss
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
sozobe wrote:
..So, it's not cookouts, or flags (though we might don red white and blue in an incidental way), or even any particular deep pondering; it's fireworks fireworks fireworks for us.

That sounds like great fun! Nothing heavy, or complicated, just pure, unadulterated fun! Enjoy!Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:57 pm
littlek wrote:
Mmmmm.....beautiful, Joe.

Yes, it was, wasn't it k? Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
I plan on eating a hot dog and lighting a black cat.

A simple meal and a small explosion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
http://www.humorcolumnist.com/images/julyflag.gif

Ah, a flag-waver!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
No I was adding an article lol.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
Whereas with the Jourth of Fuly, one need only grill up some dead pig, suck down way too much beer, and irresponsibly hand out fireworks to the liddlies--nothing could be simpler.

<BURP!>

Aint life good? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Today, I went to a party in CT where a whole pig was roasted. It was a combo 4th of July/cousins' bday party. There was the pig, burgers, corn, chips, etc, but no potato salad or cole slaw. There was broccoli rape, greenbean-fennel casserole, and a bowl of fruit (we're italian descent). We have several vegies in the extended family - and also a few with heart disease. There was also pasta for the kids. And, lots of beer (Corona)

There was way more dessert than anything else (except for maybe pig). Cookie plates, lemon merengue pie, italian sweets (anise biscotti, connoli), pastries......

My family has fewer hard-core traditions for the 4th than for, say, turkey-day.

Tomorrow, I'll likely be hanging out on A2K. The 4th is better celebrated in small towns than in cities, in my opinion. It's way too crowded for me. Maaaaaybe I'll ride down to the river and watch the show.

MsOlga, you really have the day off in Oz? For us?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:04 pm
I finished the post now. Humor on how a family spends the day on this day.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:05 pm
I must confess to feeling a wee bit envious. It's that sense of community that's coming through again & again in your posts ... Wish we had a bit more of that here. Not nearly enough of it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:05 pm
I feel bad for the broccoli at littlek's party. What did they do to deserve such a fate?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:07 pm
rapE! Ra-pay!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:12 pm
littlek wrote:
MsOlga, you really have the day off in Oz? For us?

Why, yes we do, k! Naturally! It's a very important day, after all! Laughing
Nah, I'm actually on holiday & sitting here in my pyjamas & getting over the last bit of a nasty cold! And it's cold. You're all warm. I'm SO envious! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:14 pm
I hate to say it, but it was, indeed, a beautiful day. One of those perfect-temperature days.

I'm sorry to hear about your cold - at least your at the tail end of it.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
My younger sister was born on the 4th of July, and tomorrow I will be stuffing my face, and drinking with the family. She loves it because we have fireworks for her birthday! I have a whole bag in the closet to take home tomorrow.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:18 pm
Thanks, k. <sniff cough splutter>

And I'm glad your day was perfect! Should be more days like that! Very Happy
0 Replies