New York City Landlords

gollum

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:12 am
Are landlords in New York City disproportionately Jewish?

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 12:39 pm
@gollum,
Wow. Where the hell is that question coming from?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 01:48 pm
@gollum,
what?

Confused
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 02:00 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

I am Jewish and active in a number of synagogues and Jewish organizations.

I attended a Zoom meeting with one such organization this morning.

We discussed antisemitism in NYC. One person mentioned that a cause of antisemitism is that certain people have a negative impression of Jewish landlords.

Based on that, I wondered as to the prevalence of landlords being Jewish and whether they tend to be good or bad more than non-Jewish ones.
jespah

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 04:44 pm
@gollum,
Got it, and thank you. Took me quite by surprise there.

I have no idea, but I suspect people who are antisemitic will be so regardless of their relationship to Jews in their lives.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 05:58 pm
Here's an article you might find interesting.
gollum

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta-

Thank you
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 04:05 pm
@gollum,
Not going to go into that. The answer is clearly no, however yes many Jewish people make a business centralized around owning property and many can often id such persons who owns property if they are within those circles. Usually they have somebody relating to etc race, culture, and etc running those businesses. Like you might see a Chinese or Russian manager ( Usually a woman ) but in reality you will rarely see the owner. Again no matter what race, religion, culture is the owner, chances are they have a management office who does the "paper work" and many times going to pay your rent directly to these officers you will see halls of women at desks dressed in black
inside a run-down building that is so ugly and disgusting barely passing clearance for occupation.

Again many NYC ( or State ) landlords are scum-lords. They are terrible no different then Home Owners associations. They are many people not just Jewish.

However in terms of incomewise and jobs yes many Jews do get into the business of reality. My former supervisor worked as a maintenance person ( super ) from when he was sixteen back in the 1980's. He tried opening his own construction business but again their was problems with "Trust". So he settled to buy a house somewhere he could enjoy the open road and surfing. He never look back.

Point being with NYC back in the post WWII came the illegal tatic of red-lining ( something former Trump was accused of and went to court for ). Basically using race, religion, and culture as a way of lowering value to raising value. What happen is that people were offered free houses in exchange for leaving their apartments and free apartments in exchange for leaving their houses. Time passed and those people passed-away. Now leftover are families in what should be diverse neighborhoods but instead are ghetto like filled with one kind of person with a method of thinking.

Look bad at television game shows, to historical media you will see the amount of country bumpkins we had in Long Island ( we still have ). They screwed up the neighborhoods as well.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 07:49 am
@PoliteMight,
Please help me with this quote from your last post: "chances are they have a management office who does the "paper work" and many times going to pay your rent directly to these officers you will see halls of women at desks dressed in black"

My question is, who is dressed in black? The desks or the women?
Mame

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 03:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Can you explain to me what "halls of women" even are? And who cares what colour they're in or if they're there?
0 Replies