Churches hating Jew's

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
The basic jist...

However, the resolution is part of a larger movement within Protestant churches, mostly in the United States, to divest from Israel. The Presbyterian Church-USA, the World Council of Churches, the United Methodist Church and the Episcopal Church have all considered similar resolutions. (emphasis mine)

More and more are turning against Israel.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1120098359482

Some you that complain about these institutions, from what I see here, I don't blame you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,729 • Replies: 67
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 06:25 pm
Your link is not working CG. I get a page not found.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
ConstitutionalGirl,

You are making a logical error (I don't know whether it is intentional or not).

Opposing the actions of the State of Israel does not equal hatred of Jews. They are two completely seperate issues. There are Jews who oppose the actions of the State of Israel. What do you make of that?

Did people who divested from South Africa do so because they hated the Dutch?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:27 pm
Please cut and paste the link I provided, then it will work. A2K's cookies messes it up.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
Where's the hate? These organizations are doing nothing more than withdrawing support from companies that are profiting from human misery. I applaud any organization's efforts to combat injustice, religious or otherwise.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:05 pm
CG, the article you posted doesn't even say anything about "hating Jews".
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:25 am
Get over yourself CG, not everyone who opposes the actions of Israel are anti-semites. Besides, from the link you posted this seems to be more of a pacifist action than an anti-Israeli one.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:27 am
I agree with you CG hate against jews is on the rise.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 08:08 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:

Do you have a reason for thinking this? I would be interested in seeing evidence.

In the United States, hatred against Jews is without question much lower than it was 50 years ago. It is easy to see this since there is a much lower incidence of hate crimes and there are now almost no examples of blatant hatred against Jews being published. 50 years ago (and at any other time in our history) you could find quite a few... for example Charles Lindburgh.

Jewish groups also worked hard to change what they saw as a overt Christian influence in American culture that was hostile to other religions. They had success in ending prayer in schools and making sure that there were no "religious tests" in public life.

As we discuss this, keep in mind that Israel is part of a very difficult and controversial political struggle. You should separate this from real ethnic hatred.

Finally, the target of most ethnic hatred in the United States right now is without question Arab Moslems. Hate crimes, attacks on mosques, employment discrimination and even example of blatant hatred in the press.

I trust you don't really believe that some races are more important than others. I feel strongly that hatred based on ones ethnicity or religion is always wrong... no matter who is the target.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 12:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

Do you have a reason for thinking this? I would be interested in seeing evidence.

here you have it - straight from the hoses mouth -

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ASInt_13/4726_13.htm
http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/speech_palacio.asp
http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default.asp (these guys arnt martians)

by committing the holocaust the west has raised the bar so much that any treatment meted out to jews which is this side of the SS carnage - is considered "treating them nicely and with dignity".
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:21 pm
brahmin wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

here you have it - straight from the hoses mouth -

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ASInt_13/4726_13.htm
http://www.adl.org/Anti_semitism/speech_palacio.asp
http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default.asp (these guys arnt martians)

by committing the holocaust the west has raised the bar so much that any treatment meted out to jews which is this side of the SS carnage - is considered "treating them nicely and with dignity".

While I have a great deal of respect for the Anti-Defamation League and the work it does, we must keep in mind that its purpose is to fight anti-semitism; at the risk of sounding cynical, they raise more money when anti-semitism seems to be on the rise than when it's waning.

Examining the links above I was struck by the fact that they don't support the notion that anti-semitism is on the rise. The first link summarizes the results of a survey conducted in Europe. The survey actually shows that at least twice as many European countries showed decreases as those that showed increases on every dimension of anti-Jewish sentiment but one; the one dimension that didn't maintain this trend--the one that says Jews bring up the Holocaust too often--showed six European countries showing a decrease in the number of people who thought this was true as compared to five countries that showed an increase in the number of people who thought this was true (Hungary and Poland, being new to taking this survey, could not be said to have increased or decreased).

The second link provides little more than anecdotal evidence--one simply cannot conclude that anti-semitism is on the rise base on this link. However, it is interesting to note that it makes the same logical fallacy being seen here: it equates anti-Israeli and anti-Sharon sentiment to anti-semitism (this breed of 'anti-semitism' being prevalent on the left and, thus, harder to monitor). In short, the reason people are against Israeli violence against Palestinians is anti-semitism. It couldn't possible be that this sentiment is the result of the horribly unjust treatment of Palestinians by Israel, the fact that Israel has vastly exceeded the territory orignally granted it by the UN, the fact that the so-called terrorist attacks by Palestinians resulted from Israel's treatment of Palestinians, etc.

Since 2000, more than three times as many Palestinian civilians have been killed by Israeli military as Israeli civilians have been killed by Palestinian 'terrorist attacks'; six times as many Palestinian children have been killed as Israeli children. These seem like pretty good reasons to be against a country. To compare the well-deserved negative sentiment Israel has incurred around the world to anti-semitism is ridiculous.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:31 am
pardon me for not having been able to dish out the best of links - but wasnt it just a year ago that a poll across europe showed that europeans consider israel to tbe the nerve centre of all world terrorism or somethig down those lines?

what defence do you have of the next link? that adl is sexing up the gravesstones to rake in more revenue ???

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/588738.html

look at how th epalestanians still continue to blow up innocents through their suicide bombings.

and quit trying to deny whats clear are daylight (the rising anti jew / israel feeling and "sympathy" for the same arabs that nato regularly butchers in iraq and afghanistan) - or do you find denying it very easy - 'cos its nowhere as difficult as denying the holocaust?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:52 am
Brahmin,

Why can't we just say "killing people is wrong" regardless of your religion or theirs?

I have sympathy for people who are losing their homes, or facing the trials of war, or living as refugees. Their religion doesn't matter. Hindus, Jews and Muslims have all faced these trials... and the majority of each of these groups live lives without becoming militants.

A few members of each group become militant and each religion has members that have commited barbaric acts in the name of their religion. In times where each of these groups were more pressured, they each became more militant.

It is the militants who benefit the most from extreme statements demonizing other religions.

Ayodhya is a perfect example. Hindus attack and kill because of the "barbaric" acts of the Moslems. Moslems attack and kill because of the "barbaric" acts of the Hindus.

It is obvious that they are all idiots. They are dying of mutual stupidity... perhaps inherent to religion.

You attempts to jump on the demonize Islam bandwagon is hypocracy.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

A few members of each group become militant and each religion has members that have commited barbaric acts in the name of their religion. In times where each of these groups were more pressured, they each became more militant.

you knwo i should have stopped answering your canards long back.

a lot more than just a "few" members amongst christians and muslims have murders people of other faiths.

jews and hindus hardly have, buddhists never.

stop trying to equate the hitlers and the inquisitors and the jehadis with mere murderers who killed one or two.

anti semitism is increasing. period. you havent produced a single counter arguement.
2ndly what people of your faith have done to jews - can never be equalled or justified.. so best not try to continue. too many skeletons will come out.

ebrown_p wrote:

Ayodhya is a perfect example. Hindus attack and kill because of the "barbaric" acts of the Moslems. Moslems attack and kill because of the "barbaric" acts of the Hindus.

It is obvious that they are all idiots. They are dying of mutual stupidity... perhaps inherent to religion.

ty for betraying your abysmall ignorance of history.

"the barbaric act of hindus" = (1) killing of 750 muslims when a trainful of hindu devotees were set fire to by muslims killing 59 of them. they then killed 250 more hindus in the riots that followed. AND (2) demolition of one mosque

barbaric acts of muslims = killing about twice the number of hindus during 700 years in india as germans slautered jews AND razing thousands of temples and building mosques in their place . the babri masjid that was destroyed is also one such mosque built on flattened temple.

""The massacres perpetrated by Muslims in India are unparalleled in history, bigger than the holocaust of the Jews by the Nazis; or the massacre of the Armenians by the Turks; more extensive even than the slaughter of the South American native populations by the invading Spanish and Portuguese."
- Francois Gautier, French journalist ( http://www.francoisgautier.com/ )

- http://sarvadharma.org/Museum/HinduHolocaustMuseum.htm

equal arnt they?

just like the irgun's blowing up of the king david hotel in israel = the holocaust ??????? great.

look what happened today.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54929

the "stupidity inherent to religion" is a very good euphemism you came up for "the sheer intolerance of others inherent to the secondary abrahamic religion and to them alone"

ebrown_p wrote:

You attempts to jump on the demonize Islam bandwagon is hypocracy.

sure.

just like jewish attempts to demonise christians, esp the nazis, border hypocracy.

meanwhile, your attempts to side with them shows that not just great men, but intolerant religions also think very alike.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:46 pm
Wow. You really hate Muslims, don't you.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:36 pm
brahmin wrote:
pardon me for not having been able to dish out the best of links - but wasnt it just a year ago that a poll across europe showed that europeans consider israel to tbe the nerve centre of all world terrorism or somethig down those lines?
I have no idea, but that would be no more indicative of anti-semitism than a survey showing most Americans believed Iran was the nerve center of terrorism would indicate anti-Muslim sentiment.

Quote:
what defence do you have of the next link? that adl is sexing up the gravesstones to rake in more revenue ???

I don't defend anti-semitism. This was an atrocious act and I sincerely hope they catch those responsible. However, this is only anecdotal evidence and even the fact that the number of anti-semitic incidents last year in Great Britain were at a 20 year high doesn't prove that anti-semitism is on the rise generally.

Quote:
look at how th epalestanians still continue to blow up innocents through their suicide bombings.

And look at how the Israelis continue to shoot indiscriminately into crowds of Palestinians, launch missiles into homes suspected of housing Palestinian extremists, or even launch missiles at cars suspected of transporting extremist leaders on crowded streets. Why is a Palestinian suicide bomber seen as somehow worse than the Israeli military? The biggest difference is that Israel can afford (thanks to the U.S.) a well equipped military that can deliver its explosive ordinance via missile whereas the Palestinians, lacking foreign patronage anywhere near what Israel receives, are forced to use a financially less expensive means of explosives delivery.

If a foreign power had forced me out of my home and off of my land, killed my friends and/or countrymen for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or, God forbid, had thrown rocks at armored vehicles in protest of this grave injustice, then I'd probably want to blow up some of their people, too.

Quote:
and quit trying to deny whats clear are daylight (the rising anti jew / israel feeling and "sympathy" for the same arabs that nato regularly butchers in iraq and afghanistan) - or do you find denying it very easy - 'cos its nowhere as difficult as denying the holocaust?
I've seen no evidence whatsoever that anti-semitic feelings are on the rise in America nor read evidence of the same in Europe. You have, unfortunately, breached the boundary of unacceptable irrationality by suggesting that refuting something for which there is no evidence is the same as refuting something for which there is much evidence (both physical and eye-witness). I have neither seen nor read compelling evidence that anti-semitism is on the rise, and you have failed to provide any evidence beyond opinion and anecdote that such is the case. If you truly believe anti-semitism is on the rise, than direct your ire at yourself for doing such a poor job of supporting your contention.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:51 pm
Mills75 wrote:
brahmin wrote:
I have no idea, but that would be no more indicative of anti-semitism than a survey showing most Americans believed Iran was the nerve center of terrorism would indicate anti-Muslim sentiment.

Quote:

I don't defend anti-semitism. This was an atrocious act and I sincerely hope they catch those responsible. However, this is only anecdotal evidence and even the fact that the number of anti-semitic incidents last year in Great Britain were at a 20 year high doesn't prove that anti-semitism is on the rise generally.

Quote:

And look at how the Israelis continue to shoot indiscriminately into crowds of Palestinians, launch missiles into homes suspected of housing Palestinian extremists, or even launch missiles at cars suspected of transporting extremist leaders on crowded streets. Why is a Palestinian suicide bomber seen as somehow worse than the Israeli military? The biggest difference is that Israel can afford (thanks to the U.S.) a well equipped military that can deliver its explosive ordinance via missile whereas the Palestinians, lacking foreign patronage anywhere near what Israel receives, are forced to use a financially less expensive means of explosives delivery.

If a foreign power had forced me out of my home and off of my land, killed my friends and/or countrymen for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or, God forbid, had thrown rocks at armored vehicles in protest of this grave injustice, then I'd probably want to blow up some of their people, too.

Quote:
I've seen no evidence whatsoever that anti-semitic feelings are on the rise in America nor read evidence of the same in Europe. You have, unfortunately, breached the boundary of unacceptable irrationality by suggesting that refuting something for which there is no evidence is the same as refuting something for which there is much evidence (both physical and eye-witness). I have neither seen nor read compelling evidence that anti-semitism is on the rise, and you have failed to provide any evidence beyond opinion and anecdote that such is the case. If you truly believe anti-semitism is on the rise, than direct your ire at yourself for doing such a poor job of supporting your contention.

Rolling Eyes
Sigh.... Must you.
How about you prove your bizarre fantasical accusations with some links?
No news; no data; no truth.
Which is simply carving out a lie in this little teeny corner of the universe...
Why bother?
If you really believe what you wrote, provide some facts.
If you have no facts, why do you feel compelled to repeat stupid canards?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:32 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Rolling Eyes
Sigh.... Must you.
How about you prove your bizarre fantasical accusations with some links?
No news; no data; no truth.
Which is simply carving out a lie in this little teeny corner of the universe...
Why bother?
If you really believe what you wrote, provide some facts.
If you have no facts, why do you feel compelled to repeat stupid canards?

"If Americans Knew." Figures on Israeli casualties versus Palestinian casualties, as well as a brief historical overview of the conflict.

Amnesty International. Supports the data reported by "If Americans Knew" and details the reckless shooting by IDF soldiers into crowds of unarmed civilians.

See, the Israeli's really do bomb houses and kill innocent civilians, including children.In this case, the house really did belong to an extremist leader (however, he wasn't home).

See, the Israelis really do bomb cars driving on the streets.In this case, the car was carrying an extremist leader, but the civilians near the car at the time of the attack had no known terrorist connections.

Unfortunately, I haven't kept a file of all the articles I've read on the topic over the last ten years or so, or even the last five. However, Google searches turn up all sorts of articles with reliable data supporting my contention. Indeed, the "stupid canards" I've provided are merely well-known facts to anyone who pays even passing attention to the conflict.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Wow. You really hate Muslims, don't you.

i really do have millions of valid reasons't dont i?

after all they arnt too better than their christian siblings (given that they have the same ideological parents) are they ???
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:07 pm
Mills75 wrote:
brahmin wrote:

and even the fact that the number of anti-semitic incidents last year in Great Britain were at a 20 year high doesn't prove that anti-semitism is on the rise generally.

do you need another holocaust to start for it to be evident that anti semitism is on the rise?
0 Replies