Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:11 am
Ex-Intel Officers Speak on Plame's Behalf
Ex-Intel Officers Speak on Plame's Behalf
Wed Jul 20, 7:10 PM ET
AP

Eleven former intelligence officers are speaking up on behalf of CIA officer Valerie Plame, saying leaking her identity may have damaged national security and threatens the ability of U.S. intelligence gathering.

In a statement to congressional leaders, the former officers said the Republican National Committee has circulated talking points focusing on the idea that Plame was not working undercover and deserved no protection.

There are thousands of U.S. intelligence officers who work at a desk in the Washington, D.C., area every day who are undercover as Plame was when her identity was leaked, the 11 former officers said in a three-page statement.

The former officers' statement comes amid revelations that top presidential aide Karl Rove was involved in leaking Plame's identity to columnist Robert Novak and Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper, and that Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis Libby, also was a source for Cooper on the Plame story.

The leaking of Plame's identity followed public criticism leveled against the Bush White House by Plame's husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson. He suggested the administration had manipulated intelligence to justify going to war in Iraq. A criminal investigation into the leaks is ongoing.

"Intelligence officers should not be used as political footballs," the 11 said. "In the case of Valerie Plame, she still works for the CIA and is not in a position to publicly defend her reputation and honor."
---------------------------------

On the Net:
CIA: http://www.cia.gov
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:26 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
All this 'new' information coming out about Rove's lies and this administration's deceit about Iraq's WMDs and yellowcake from Africa should have the American People not only angry but demand the impeachment of this president and his administration. The implications are huge! We have lost over 1,800 soldiers and 200 billion in Iraq based on lies. Where's the anger?

It's disgusting. So many of the American People have been brainwashed by the fear-mongering of the impotent Shrub and his shameful regime. As long as we can "believe" we're actually "fighting terrorism" we can pretend everything is going to be fine. It's all denial, just like we're seeing from the neocons on the very real issues of global warming and climate change.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
The hearings going on on cspan3 are truly epic.

Truly. If you didn't watch, you'll see clips later on, I have no doubt.

The Bloomberg article is confirming exactly what many of us thought; the testimony given to Fitzgerald didn't match. This is why he's pursuing this so doggedly. Hell, any prosecutor would in a case like this!

The point of both of today's news pieces is that the lies that were used to cover this crime up are coming unravelled. This is the best news that Americans have recieved in some time.

Cheers to everyone

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:47 am
It's always good when lies are exposed, I mean unless it's Clinton's lies, right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
McG, Do you understand anything about lies that gets people killed and lies that are about a private sexual encounter? Prolly not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:03 am
Quote:
It's always good when lies are exposed, right?

Since I was raised to believe that lying is a bad thing, I'd say yes. Parsing words isn't really any better.

There are occasional exceptions - like telling someone their hair looks good, when it doesn't.

Lies that have the possibility to damage any country's security ... can't think of a way to excuse those.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:13 am
BBB
McGentrix wrote:
It's always good when lies are exposed, I mean unless it's Clinton's lies, right?

Do you notice that whenever bush administration chauvinists race to defend their Party, they nearly always turn to something about the Clinton administration.

That is such a weak defense it makes them look like pitiful dunces.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
"bush administration chauvinists"? Laughing

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The point of both of today's news pieces is that the lies that were used to cover this crime up are coming unravelled. This is the best news that Americans have recieved in some time.

You fail to see the irony here... I guess that's the thing about pitiful dunces, eh? Takes one to recognize another.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:24 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG, Do you understand anything about lies that gets people killed and lies that are about a private sexual encounter? Prolly not.

So you are suggesting that there is a scale of lies? That some lies are somehow less than others and are therefore excusable? Shocked

Explain what you mean here C.I.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:25 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

So you are suggesting that there is a scale of lies? That some lies are somehow less than others and are therefore excusable? Shocked

0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

I am aghast. Are you claiming all lies are equal. If I said "I think McGentrix exhibits logic, reasoning and intelligenceion his posts" that that would be the same as if I lied as an eyewitness in capital murder trial and caused an innocent defendant to be executed?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
I find neither lie acceptable. It must be a liberal thing. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
"bush administration chauvinists"? Laughing

Cycloptichorn wrote:

You fail to see the irony here... I guess that's the thing about pitiful dunces, eh? Takes one to recognize another.

Sling your insults all you want.

It won't change the fact that Clinton STILL totally owns your Soul, McG.

When the indictments start coming in, I'm going to start posting pieces about Clinton a lot again; just to piss you off...

There is no irony here. Knowledge of a lie allows the country to heal itself by taking action to correct the problem, i.e., start voting your party full of lying, cheating, low-down dirty bastards out of office.

Cheers!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Sling your insults all you want.

You shouldn't be so hard on BBB. She tries awful hard.

Quote:
It won't change the fact that Clinton STILL totally owns your Soul, McG.

If he did, it would only be because he doesn't have one.

Quote:
When the indictments start coming in, I'm going to start posting pieces about Clinton a lot again; just to piss you off...

There is no irony here. Knowledge of a lie allows the country to heal itself by taking action to correct the problem, i.e., start voting your party full of lying, cheating, low-down dirty bastards out of office.

Cheers!

Cycloptichorn

I agree with that last part whole-heartedly. You Dems really need to do something about the people representing you in Washington.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
Lame. But on with the thread...

Quote:
Thursday, July 21, 2005

Father Tim And The Leak

Two top White House aides have given accounts to the special prosecutor about how reporters told them the identity of a CIA agent that are at odds with what the reporters have said, according to persons familiar with the case.

Lewis "Scooter'' Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, told special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald that he first learned from NBC News reporter Tim Russert of the identity of CIA agent Valerie Plame, the wife of former ambassador and Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson. Russert has testified before a federal grand jury that he didn't tell Libby of Plame'sidentity.

White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove told Fitzgerald that he first learned the identity of the CIA agent from syndicated columnist Robert Novak, who was first to report Plame's name and connection to Wilson. Novak, according to a source familiar with the matter, has given a somewhat different version to the special prosecutor.

If this is true, the wingnuts are going to have to call Father Tim and poor old Bob Novak liars. I have no doubt they will do it if they have to. But this game gets more and more dangerous for them every day.

And the thing about Libby is just delicious. WTF, did Scooter just blurt out Tim Russert's name without thinking? If he lied about the Monsignor he was making a grave error. There aren't many media figures in Washington who are viewed with any reverence anymore, but he's one of them, as sad a comment as that is. It's a fatal error to get into a he said/she said with a guy like him --- if there's a trial, he's the guy who will be believed.

Oh what a hissy fit these allegedly slick operators had over this one piece of criticism. Anyone with any sense would have known this was just the beginning, as it was becoming obvious that there were no WMD to be found. If they'd have kept their poweder dry for a few days they probably could have come up with a better explanation, but they lost their heads, just like always do under pressure. There really could not have been a worse crew in charge after 9/11. This little episode, in microcosm, is why we are in Iraq today, throwing billions of dollars down the tube, losing our credibility by the boatload and seeing thousands of people die for with no end in sight. No grace under pressure.

Needless to say, this could also be bullshit. William Safire once famously claimed Hillary Clinton was going to be indicted. Rove (or a person who "has been briefed on the matter") already revealed that he learned Plame's name from Novak and then said "Oh I heard that too" or "Oh, you've heard about that?" depending on who's telling the story. We've all been under the impression that Novak agreed that Rove confirmed the story, but maybe he didn't. Or maybe there is some convoluted way in which his behavior can be explained as both learning about it and confirming it at the same time. There's obviously more to this story than we know --- perhaps Fitzgerald is putting together a bigger case than just perjury. Or maybe, as I said, this is bullshit.

But this is getting fun.

Update: According to the NY Times, friends of Rove and Libby are trying to make the case that the two were not trying to out Plame or discredit Wilson --- they were working together on Tenent's statement with Stephen Hadley. It's hard for me to see how this helps them --- it suggest coordination if not conspiracy.

There is one interesting little tid-bit, however: they say Ari testified that he never say the memo on AF One. We've certainly heard otherwise, so Ari may be in a little bit of a pickle too.

All this leaking is looking more and more like internecine fighting among the "subjects." This could get ugly.

digby 6:44 PM Comments (52) | Trackback (1)

www.digbsyblog.blogspot.com

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:08 pm
I admire and respect Russ Baker. He just about said that Miller was a party to the leak and attempts to discredit Wilson and out Plame. Not just a poor journalist, but a player.

That would be something else.

Cheers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
"I find neither lie acceptable. It must be a liberal thing."

If you find "neither lie acceptable," why are you defending the lies from this administration?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
Am I? Which lie have I defended C.I.?
0 Replies