Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
sumac wrote:
As I said, I don't play. It is a waste of my time. There are plenty of examples behind you, and you and everyone else knows of them.

Nobody believes you. Prove them wrong.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Cyclo, How much you wanna bet Rove doesn't spend one day in jail?

Hard to say. Depends on how serious they consider revealing the identity of Plame is. Sandy Berger did not go to jail, and he actually smuggled out documents and destroyed them.

On the other hand, if it turns out that Rove lied to investigators, we could have another Martha Stewart deal here. Jail time.

I wonder if Rove will get into trouble in prison smuggling in a fondue fork in his underwear like Stewart did. Mr. Green
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:07 pm
Berger hasn't been sentenced yet. I doubt he'll go to jail, though.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:24 pm
WSJ will report that the memo circulated on AF ONE was not only Top Secret but also marked "Do not share with Foreign Nationals" which is really really really sensitive. Bloomber will report that Rove lied to the Grand Jury. Stay tuned.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:29 pm
Does this mean that the House of Bush is going to self-destruct?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:34 pm
I keep hearing that Rove will be indicted under the Espionage Act, which is so broad, it would cover spitting on the sidewalk if it ahrmed National Security.

I think Rove is lucky to still be alive after what he did to the CIA.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:37 pm
Some of us haven't heard anything about Rove being charged under the Espionage Act. Can you provide some links?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:41 pm
From the NYT:

July 22, 2005
For Two Aides in Leak Case, 2nd Issue Rises
By DAVID JOHNSTON
This article was reported by David Johnston, Douglas Jehl and Richard W. Stevenson and was written by Mr. Johnston.

WASHINGTON, July 21 - At the same time in July 2003 that a C.I.A. operative's identity was exposed, two key White House officials who talked to journalists about the officer were also working closely together on a related underlying issue: whether President Bush was correct in suggesting earlier that year that Iraq had been trying to acquire nuclear materials from Africa.

The two issues had become inextricably linked because Joseph C. Wilson IV, the husband of the unmasked C.I.A. officer, had questioned Mr. Bush's assertion, prompting a damage-control effort by the White House that included challenging Mr. Wilson's standing and his credentials. A federal grand jury investigation is under way by a special counsel to determine whether someone illegally leaked the officer's identity and possibly into whether perjury or obstruction of justice occurred during the inquiry.

People who have been briefed on the case said the White House officials, Karl Rove and I. Lewis Libby, were helping prepare what became the administration's primary response to criticism that a flawed phrase about the nuclear materials in Africa had been in Mr. Bush's State of the Union address six months earlier.

They had exchanged e-mail correspondence and drafts of a proposed statement by George J. Tenet, then the director of central intelligence, to explain how the disputed wording had gotten into the address. Mr. Rove, the president's political strategist, and Mr. Libby, the chief of staff for Vice President Dick Cheney, coordinated their efforts with Stephen J. Hadley, then the deputy national security adviser, who was in turn consulting with Mr. Tenet.

At the same time, they were grappling with the fallout from an Op-Ed article on July 6, 2003, in The New York Times by Mr. Wilson, a former diplomat, in which he criticized the way the administration had used intelligence to support the claim in Mr. Bush's speech.

The work done by Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby on the Tenet statement during this intense period has not been previously disclosed. People who have been briefed on the case discussed this critical time period and the events surrounding it to demonstrate that Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby were not involved in an orchestrated scheme to discredit Mr. Wilson or disclose the undercover status of his wife, Valerie Wilson, but were intent on clarifying the use of intelligence in the president's address. Those people who have been briefed requested anonymity because prosecutors have asked them not to discuss matters under investigation.

The special counsel in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, has been examining this period of time to determine whether the officials' work on the Tenet statement led in some way to the disclosure of Ms. Wilson's identity to Robert D. Novak, the syndicated columnist, according to the people who have been briefed.

It is not clear what information Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby might have collected about Ms. Wilson as they worked on the Tenet statement. Mr. Rove has said he learned her name from Mr. Novak. Mr. Libby has declined to discuss the matter.

The effort was striking because to an unusual degree, the circle of officials involved included those from the White House's political and national security operations, which are often separately run. Both arms were drawn into the effort to defend the administration during the period.

In another indication of how wide a net investigators have cast in the case, Karen Hughes, a former top communications aide to Mr. Bush, and Robert Joseph, who was then the National Security Council's expert on weapons proliferation, have both told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that they were interviewed by the special prosecutor.

Ms. Hughes is to have her confirmation hearing on Friday on her nomination to lead the State Department's public diplomacy operation. Mr. Joseph was recently confirmed as under secretary of state for arms control and international security. As part of their confirmation proceedings, both had to fill out questionnaires listing any legal matters they had become involved in.

Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby did not meet face to face while hammering out the critical points that were desired for the Tenet statement, the people briefed on the case said.

In its final version, the Tenet statement, through its language and tone, supported the contention that senior White House officials were focused on addressing the substance of Mr. Wilson's claims. It did not mention Mr. Wilson or his wife, and Mr. Libby made it clear that Vice President Cheney did not send Mr. Wilson to Africa, a notion some said Mr. Wilson had suggested in his article. The defenders of Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby contend that the statement underscores that they were not trying to punish Mr. Wilson.

A former government official, though, added another element to how the statement was prepared, saying that no one directed Mr. Tenet to issue it and that Mr. Tenet himself felt it was needed. The statement said that the "C.I.A.'s counterproliferation experts, on their own initiative, asked an individual with ties to the region to make a visit to see what he could learn."

In Mr. Wilson's article, he recounted a mission he undertook to Niger in 2002 seeking information about a purported effort by President Saddam Hussein of Iraq to acquire uranium there, his conclusion that the effort had not occurred and the filing of his report.

In his State of the Union address in January 2003, Mr. Bush cited reports that Iraq had sought to acquire a form of uranium in Africa as evidence of Mr. Hussein's intentions to gain weapons that he might provide to terrorists, use to threaten the United States or employ against other nations in the Middle East.

Lawyers with clients in the case said Mr. Fitzgerald and his investigators have shown interest in a classified State Department memo that was provided to Colin L. Powell, then the secretary of state, as he left for Africa on Air Force One with Mr. Bush and his top aides on July 7, 2003, a day after Mr. Wilson made his accusations public.

The memorandum identified Ms. Wilson by name and described her as having a role in her husband's selection for the mission to Niger. A government official said the paragraph in the memorandum identifying Ms. Wilson was preceded by the letter S in brackets, a designation meaning that contents of the paragraph were classified secret. The designation was first reported on Thursday by The Washington Post.

The investigators have been trying to determine who else within the administration might have seen the memo or learned of its contents.

Among those asked if he had seen the memo was Ari Fleischer, then the White House press secretary, who was on Air Force One with Mr. Bush and Mr. Powell during the Africa trip. Mr. Fleischer told the grand jury that he never saw the document, a person familiar with the testimony said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the prosecutor's admonitions about not disclosing what is said to the grand jury.

Mr. Fleischer's role has been scrutinized by investigators, in part because his telephone log showed a call on the day after Mr. Wilson's article appeared from Mr. Novak, the columnist who, on July 14, 2003, was the first to report Ms. Wilson's identity.

In his column, Mr. Novak referred to her by her maiden name, Valerie Plame, which she had used when first employed by the C.I.A. Mr. Fleischer has told the grand jury that he did not return Mr. Novak's call, a person familiar with the testimony said.

Mr. Rove has also told the grand jury that he never saw the memorandum, a person briefed on the case said. Democrats who have been eager to focus attention on the case have urged reporters to look into the role of several other administration officials, including John R. Bolton, who was then under secretary of state for arms control and international security and has since been nominated by Mr. Bush to be ambassador to the United Nations.

In his disclosure form for his confirmation hearings, Mr. Bolton made no mention of being interviewed in the case, a government official said. In the week after Mr. Wilson's article appeared, Mr. Bolton attended a conference in Australia.

In addition to ferreting out the original leak, the grand jury is examining the truthfulness of its witnesses, comparing each account with previous testimony. One apparent area of interest is the conflicting accounts given by Mr. Rove and Matthew Cooper, a Time magazine correspondent who has said he spoke to Mr. Rove about Ms. Wilson, about why they spoke on July 11, 2003.

Mr. Rove, said a source familiar with his testimony, told prosecutors that the conversation began under the pretext of discussing welfare reform.

But Mr. Cooper said he had no record or memory of actually talking to Mr. Rove about welfare reform, instead only discussing the Wilson case in their brief chat. The grand jury focused on that apparent discrepancy, Mr. Cooper wrote in an account in Time this week.

Anne E. Kornblut contributed reporting for this article.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Some of us haven't heard anything about Rove being charged under the Espionage Act. Can you provide some links?

It is speculation, if you read the Espionage Act, you will see that it could easily apply. There is going to be a lot of right-wingersd eating crow here soon. I juist have to laugh at the brouhaha over the "covert" nonsense. This case has moved so far past that. What gets me is that people don't get a clue from the SCOTUS letting a reporter languish in jail.

Here is a bold prediction: Person of the Year 2005: Patrick Fitzgerald
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:56 pm
Bloomberg goes to press!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:12 pm
New York Times wrote:
It did not mention Mr. Wilson or his wife, and Mr. Libby made it clear that Vice President Cheney did not send Mr. Wilson to Africa, a notion some said Mr. Wilson had suggested in his article.

If Libby's or Rove's defense is that they were trying to counter allegations that Cheney sent Wilson to Niger, they are in big trouble.

Nothing in Wilson article sugggests that Cheney sent him.

Here is the quote from Wilson's article.
Joseph Wilson wrote:

If that is the best Libby and Rove can muster in the way of a defense, this is not looking good for them at all.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:13 pm
From the Bloomberg source above:

Quote:
The leak case shows that administration officials have in effect been using reporters as shields by claiming that the information on Plame first came from them.

My, my, a new articulated twist.

And between both stories, we now have Bolton and Russert entering as prospective players.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:14 pm
The evil, liberal press is to blame. It is all their fault.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:15 pm
Chrissee wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

It is speculation, if you read the Espionage Act, you will see that it could easily apply. There is going to be a lot of right-wingersd eating crow here soon. I juist have to laugh at the brouhaha over the "covert" nonsense. This case has moved so far past that. What gets me is that people don't get a clue from the SCOTUS letting a reporter languish in jail.

Here is a bold prediction: Person of the Year 2005: Patrick Fitzgerald

an honest republican, cleaning the augean stables behind the white house?

perhaps, but as i said earlier after reading the amicus brief to the appellate court, what is contained in the appeal is now slowly being trial-balloned as a talking point for the right wing, viz., fitzgerald's competence is being attacked.

first the facts are attacked, then the pertainent law, next target is the prosecutor.

i will bet a dollar to a donut that if fitzgerald returns indictments against rove, libby, fleisher, et al., he, a republican lawyer, appointed by a republican attorney general, in a republican administration will be attacked by the right wing spin meisters either for his incompetence or for personal aggrandizement towards his political future. if fitzgerald even gave 5 cents to a democrat's campaign 30 years ago the mouth breathers on the right will claim this as evidence that fitzgerald was a "double-secret liberal" the whole time and was waiting in the tall grass to take bush down.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:45 am
Edit (Moderator): Link Removed
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:04 am
After yesterday's discussion about the possible charges that could be made against anyone (not just Rove) I started searching for more information. I found a web page full of information covering a lot of the various points that have been made over the last weeks here. I only pasted the points related to charges that could be made.

(I realize that it isn't new news to most people here, nevertheless, I found the web site useful in putting the whole thing in order)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Plame

Quote:
Possible legal jeopardy
There are many questions surrounding the allegations of illegality by Karl Rove and perhaps other administration officials. These officials are potentially vulnerable under a number of federal laws relating to disclosure of Plame's identity along with laws against perjury, conspiracy, and obstruction of justice.

In addition, Rove, Libby, and others have been interviewed by the FBI and the Special Counsel, and have testified before a grand jury. They may also have made statements to White House officials or to the president. Misrepresentations to any of these parties could be a crime. News reports first published on July 19, 2005 suggest that Rove falsely told FBI agents in his first interview that he had not spoken to reporters about Plame's CIA status until after Novak's column revealing her identity had been published. At the time, the White House made similar claims publically, but with recent revelations of Rove's discussion with Cooper three days prior to Novak's article this might represent illegal interference in a federal investigation.

[edit]
The Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement
Cooper's thus far unrefuted testimony suggests Rove violated the "Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement" (Form SF-312 [21]), which he signed as a condition of employment. SF-312 prohibits confirming or repeating classified information to unauthorized individuals, even if that information is already leaked. SF-312 is a vehicle for federal employee compliance with Executive Order 13292. Executive orders are not laws, but violation typically results in dismissal. Relevant passages of the agreement read,

I have been advised that the unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized retention, or negligent handling of classified information by me could cause damage or irreparable injury to the United States or could be used to advantage by a foreign nation.
I have been advised that any breach of this Agreement may result in the termination of any security clearances I hold; removal from any position of special confidence and trust requiring such clearances; or the termination of my employment or other relationships with the Departments or Agencies that granted my security clearance or clearances. In addition, I have been advised that any unauthorized disclosure of classified information by me may constitute a violation, or violations, of United States criminal laws, including the provisions of Sections 641, 793, 794, 798, *952 and 1924, Title 18, United States Code, * the provisions of Section 783(b), Title 50, United States Code, and the provisions of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982.
In addition, the briefing booklet distributed with that form states,

Before confirming the accuracy of what appears in the public source, the signer of the SF 312 must confirm through an authorized official that the information has, in fact, been declassified. If it has not, confirmation of its accuracy is also an unauthorized disclosure.

Quote:
Related laws and precedents
If Plame's identity as a CIA employee was in fact classified -- and a CIA criminal referral combined with a long running grand jury investigation would suggest so -- the leak may also have violated other U.S. laws, including the Espionage Act. Moreover, failure to protect classified information, criminal or not, is often grounds for the revocation of one's security clearance.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
Tikey, tune in NOW to C-SPAN3. Your canard is being buried even further.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
"those engaging in partisan obfuscation should shut up"
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
Rove, Libby Accounts Case Differ With Those of Reporters
Rove, Libby Accounts in CIA Case Differ With Those of Reporters
July 22 (Bloomberg)

Two top White House aides have given accounts to a special prosecutor about how reporters first told them the identity of a CIA agent that are at odds with what the reporters have said, according to people familiar with the case.

Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, told special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald that he first learned from NBC News reporter Tim Russert of the identity of Central Intelligence Agency operative Valerie Plame, the wife of former ambassador and Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson, one person said. Russert has testified before a federal grand jury that he didn't tell Libby of Plame's identity, the person said.

White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove told Fitzgerald that he first learned the identity of the CIA agent from syndicated columnist Robert Novak, according a person familiar with the matter. Novak, who was first to report Plame's name and connection to Wilson, has given a somewhat different version to the special prosecutor, the person said.

These discrepancies may be important because Fitzgerald is investigating whether Libby, Rove or other administration officials made false statements during the course of the investigation. The Plame case has its genesis in whether any administration officials violated a 1982 law making it illegal to knowingly reveal the name of a covert intelligence agent.

`Twisted' Intelligence

The CIA requested the inquiry after Novak reported in a July 14, 2003, column that Plame recommended her husband for a 2002 mission to check into reports Iraq tried to buy uranium from Niger. Wilson, in a July 6, 2003, article in the New York Times, had said President George W. Bush's administration ``twisted'' some of the intelligence on Iraq's weapons to justify the war.

Robert Luskin, Rove's attorney, said yesterday that Rove told the grand jury ``he had not heard her name before he heard it from Bob Novak.'' He declined in an interview to comment on whether Novak's account of their conversation differed from Rove's.

There also is a discrepancy between accounts given by Rove and Time magazine reporter Mat Cooper. The White House aide mentioned Wilson's wife -- though not by name -- in a July 11, 2003, conversation with Cooper, the reporter said. Rove, 55, says that Cooper called him to talk about welfare reform and the Wilson connection was mentioned later, in passing.

Cooper wrote in Time magazine last week that he told the grand jury he never discussed welfare reform with Rove in that call.

Miller in Jail

One reporter, Judith Miller of the New York Times, has been jailed on contempt of court charges for refusing to testify before the grand jury about her reporting on the Plame case.

Cooper testified only after Time Inc. said it would comply with Fitzgerald's demands for Cooper's notes and reporting on the Plame matter, particularly regarding his dealings with Rove.

Libby, 54, didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

The varying accounts of conversations between Rove, Libby and reporters come as new details emerge about a classified State Department memorandum that's also at the center of Fitzgerald's probe.

A memo by the department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research included Plame's name in a paragraph marked ``(S)'' for ``Secret,'' a designation that indicated to anyone who read it that the information was classified, the Washington Post reported yesterday.

State Department Memo

The memo, prepared July 7, 2003, for Secretary of State Colin Powell, is a focus of Fitzgerald's interest, according to individuals who have testified before the grand jury and attorneys familiar with the case.

The three-page document said that Wilson had been recommended for a CIA-sponsored trip to Africa by his wife, who worked on the CIA's counter-proliferations desk.

Bush had said in his State of the Union message in January 2003 that Iraq was trying to purchase nuclear materials in Africa. Days after Wilson's article -- in which he said there was no basis to conclude that Iraq was trying to buy nuclear material in Africa and that the administration had exaggerated the evidence -- the White House acknowledged that the Africa assertion shouldn't have been included in the speech.

The memo summarizing the Plame-Wilson connection was provided to Powell as he left with Bush on a five-day trip to Africa. Fitzgerald is exploring whether other White House officials on the trip may have gained access to the memo and shared its contents with officials back in Washington. Rove and Libby didn't accompany Bush to Africa.

One key to the inquiry is when White House aides knew of Wilson's connection to Plame and whether they learned about it through this memo or other classified information.

Some Bush allies hope that the Fitzgerald investigation, which dominated the news in Washington for the first part of July, will subside as attention shifts to Bush's nomination of Judge John Roberts to fill the first vacancy on the Supreme Court in 11 years.

Fitzgerald's term of service lasts until October, which is also the length of time remaining for the grand jury hearing evidence in the case.
---------------------------------------------

To contact the reporter on this story:
Richard Keil in Washington at [email protected].

Last Updated: July 22, 2005 00:10 EDT
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:44 am
All this 'new' information coming out about Rove's lies and this administration's deceit about Iraq's WMDs and yellowcake from Africa should have the American People not only angry but demand the impeachment of this president and his administration. The implications are huge! We have lost over 1,800 soldiers and 200 billion in Iraq based on lies. Where's the anger?
0 Replies