Cost of raising a 14 year old, middle-class boy

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:49 pm
I'm always wanting something.

I know the federal government has figures covering the cost of raising a child, but this weekend my husband is recovering from minor surgery and as I type, house guests are driving north.

Can anyone pin these figures down for me?

I'd also love to have the tables the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania uses to compute Child Support Payments.

Briefly, the situation is this:

A soon-to-be 15 year old boy is very unhappy living with his father and new stepmother and wants to go to live with maternal grandmother.

His mother has vanished. Possibly she's dead. Possibly she's in jail. Possibly she's on the streets. She cannot be counted on for support.

Grandmother can provide emotional support, but is not in a position to contribute to financial support. He's a big kid with a healthy appetite which means he's growing out of his clothes on a regular basis. He also has at least $100 a month of medical expenses.

Stepmother (who certainly seems over financially prudent if not downright wicked) insists that $100 a week adequate recompense. Daddy is a wimp and a weakling.

Can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,849 • Replies: 9
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
I wish I had some good info for you, Noddy. Maybe grandmother can approach father and work it out directly with him. She could first give some estimates of her own about the cost of food, clothing, school supplies, anything needed to accommodate a long term guest, plus medical bills and see how he responds.

I looked up PA child support but it's all geared to divorce and the amounts seem to have more to do with the parent's income than the cost of raising the child.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:49 pm
FreeDuck--

The grandmother and father agreed on $100 a week, the father to pick up all medical expenses. Because of the policy of the local school, in order for the boy to attend in his mother's district he must be a deduction on her income tax return.

We have a lot of NYC kids staying with PA families during the week but returning to the Big Apple for weekends and vacations.

Then Stepmama got into the act, announcing to her children and the boy's sister that Grandmother was demanding so much money that the rest of them would suffer.

She wants to cut support to no more than $4400 a year AND make grandmother responsible for any future medical expenses.

Papa's medical plan is much better than Grandmother's medical plan.

The PA support figures would be helpful because the boy's father say's his gross income is $38,000 and stepmama says gross income is only $24,000. Also she refuses to have her income considered.

Meanwhile, thanks for the information that the figures are out there. I apreciate that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:19 pm
Ugh. Well, here is the site I saw that has a support calculator. http://www.divorcehq.com/calculators/pa_supportcalc.shtml

I don't know if it will help. Will it make a difference to the school district if the grandmother has custody or is his legal guardian? When I was 15 I went to live with an older sister in MD. The school district was going to charge us tuition until she became my legal guardian. Or maybe that's what you meant about a deduction on her tax return -- as a dependent I guess? It seems like she could still claim him as a dependent even if she gets support for him from someone else. Especially if it's no more than $4400 a year.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:29 pm
FreeDuck--

Thanks for the site. In order to attend school in that district, his grandmother must claim him as a dependent.

Stepmama says that Grandmother is making this up.

The relevant rules have been xeroxed.

The boy's father is going to have to make a stand. His religious denomination insists that he be head of his house. He better get religion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:13 am
Noddy, I found a site which helps one determine if they can claim an individual as a dependent. It includes allowances for shelter, utilities, etc as contributing to support.

Perhaps the dependency requirements can be met by the grandmother even though the father is contributing financial support, allowing the child to attend school.

http://www.jacksonhewitt.com/resources_library_topics_dependents.asp
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
USDA to the rescue (I hope).

Since 1960, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has provided estimates of expenditures on
children from birth through age 17. This technical report presents the most recent estimates for
husband-wife and single-parent families using data from the 1990-92 Consumer Expenditure
Survey, updated to 2004 dollars using the Consumer Price Index. Data and methods used in
calculating annual child-rearing expenses are described. Estimates are provided for major
components of the budget by age of child, family income, and region of residence. For the
overall United States, child-rearing expense estimates ranged between $9,840 and $10,900 for
a child in a two-child, married-couple family in the middle-income group. Adjustment factors
for number of children in the household are also provided. Results of this study should be of
use in developing State child support guidelines and foster care payments as well as in family
educational programs.

http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/Crc/crc2004.pdf

I'm hoping that Mr. Noddy is doing well and that you have time for some rest. You "sound" tired.

This USDA report looks pretty comprehensive - I hope it helps you get the answers you're looking for.

And good luck to Grandmother and Grandson.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:40 am
Everyone--

Many, many thanks. I have houseguests coming and Mr. Noddy is recovering from minor surgery on Thursday so today is rather hectic. When the hubbub dies down--probably late tomorrow, I'll peruse these sites. They seem to be exactly what is needed.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:23 pm
Noddy, those sites will get you better information, but I can tell you about my real teenager -- there's no way it costs only $366.66/month for her! (That's $4400/12.) We've been pretty broke the last couple of years as I've been un- and under-employed (that front is looking up, thank goodness!) but food/drink/clothing/a modicum of entertainment/the ever-popular et cetera category really take a toll!

And a boy would definitely eat more, if her friends are any example.

School meals run about $3/day. There are other school fees to consider, too. Labs, sports clothing, shoes for gym, extra books, participation in field trips -- not luxuries, but the kind of thing a child needs to just be a part of things. My kid makes an art of shopping the thrift stores (precious child!) but her clothing/shoe needs still run into money; you can't count on finding what you need at the thrifts the day you go. And school-appropriate and off-duty teen wardrobes vary... Mine's a reader who loves the library. A child involved in sports would cost more.

And just BTW, I don't think a stepmother who is legally married to the dad can "refuse" to have her income counted -- if the boy lived with them her income would provide part of his support (what's she gonna do, cook him hotdogs from dad's pay while the rest of the family eats steak from the communal budget?) and I think the courts take household income, not dad's income, as the qualifying amount.

Are there other kids? Are they dad's, stepmom's or both?

Good luck with this, Noddy, and try to teach the kid and his Grandmother about dominion. I've learned lots from you over the past few years... I hope this turns out well for all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
Free Duck--

We're just a few hours away from NYC and most local school districts are refusing to cope with the city kids who are sent to the safe, suburban schools from Monday to Friday and spend weekends and summers in the Big Apple with the Real Family. Hence the requirement that for free tutition the adult responsible for the kid must take the Income Tax Deduction.

Stepmama doesn't want to believe this. Grandmother has offered to give them half of the deduction. Stepmama wants it all.

J_B--

If grandmother doesn't get the tax deduction, the parents have to pay tuition. Needless to say stepmama wants her cake and wants to eat it too.

Boomer--

Great site.

Yes, I was a bit weary, but my company was wonderful for my morale and my neglected garden. Mr. Noddy has a gadget in his back--on a trial basis--to eliminate his back pain by zapping the spinal cord with electricity. It is working.

We had only one dog fight--no damage. I hate breaking up dog fights on crutches, but fortunately the tea kettle was full with cold water. Pit bulls do not like having cold water poured in their eyes and up their noses. They like mixed drinks even less.

Wy--

Grandson's has one "blood" sister. There are three step-siblings, one of whom is also being thrown out of the house. I think he's going to live with stepmama's parents, but this is not my concern.

Before Grandmother went clothes shopping, her grandson's summer wardrobe consisted of the clothes she bought him for school last September. The kid grew nearly four inches in this time.

The newlyweds, Father and Stepmama, installed a hot tub in the bath of the Master Bedroom, but the kid was wearing rags.

I'll keep you all posted about Stepmama Facing Financial Reality. Your information will be very helpful.
0 Replies