Bill Clinton for Vice President

gollum

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 11:59 am
I think Bill Clinton as the VP candidate would strengthen the Democratic ticket.

I am aware that the 22nd Amendment prevents him from being elected as president again.

May he now serve as V.P.?

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:29 pm
@gollum,
Nope. A VP has to be able to step in, and he cannot.

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/United_States_of_America_1992
12th Amendment says:
Quote:
...no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:31 pm
@jespah,
Good deal.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:41 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I think Bill Clinton as the VP candidate would strengthen the Democratic ticket.

I am aware that the 22nd Amendment prevents him from being elected as president again.

May he now serve as V.P.?

This would be a horrible idea for lots of reasons.

1) Bill Clinton was a controversial president. Imagine having a debate about Monica Lewinsky in this age of #MeToo (not to mention Juanita Broaddrick who accused Bill Clinton of raping her).

2) Joe Biden promised to nominate a woman.

3) Joe Biden needs to nominate someone under 70 (Although, I would love to see Jimmy Carter in the administration again.).

4) Most Americans (myself included) cringe at the idea of another Clinton in the Whitehouse.... ever.

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Some of my thoughts were similar - especially Number 1.

Not that I would want this - but if Clinton was VP as far as stepping in for the President - wouldn't it just then skip over him and go to the Speaker of the House?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 01:03 pm
Ah I found something -

The 12th Amendment, says:

“[N]o person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States,”

But from what I read this is up for interpretation. Is a person ineligible to be vice president (and thus, have the outside chance of becoming president) if they’re ineligible to run for president? Technically speaking, the 22nd Amendment doesn’t place any limits on former presidents to serve as president for a third term — it simply prevents them from running directly for the office of president again.

Interesting....

Here is where I found this - this article actually discussing Obama running as VP

https://hillreporter.com/could-joe-biden-pick-barack-obama-as-his-running-mate-in-2020-32771
0 Replies