A supportive thread for CoronaVirus (no politics please)

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 07:21 pm
I found out today that two members of my extended family tested positive for Covid-19. Both are doing OK so far and are at home. This makes the crisis hit home for me. These are people I care about. I am sure I won't be the only one here with a connection to someone with the virus.

I am sure we are all struggling with something through this, whether worry about finances... or just the stress of being locked up.

If you want to unload, or if you just want a virtual hug from a caring troll, this is a place where you will be supported.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,359 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 07:24 pm
@maxdancona,
I sure hope it goes well and goes quickly for your family.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 07:40 am
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/816/760/742.jpg

I have been to two virtual birthday parties so far. How is video conferencing with friends for you guys?
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 07:54 am
@maxdancona,
did you read about the potato incident - let me find it

here it is

https://imagevars.gulfnews.com/2020/04/01/Potato-filter_17134d6c0c9_medium.jpg

According to the above "My boss turned herself into a potato on our Microsoft teams meeting and can’t figure out how to turn the setting off, so she was just stuck like this the entire meeting."

https://time.com/5813683/boss-turns-herself-into-a-potato/
maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 08:42 am
@Linkat,
I did see that. Funny!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:35 pm
I just got back from the supermarket. It wasn't very crowded at all. Everyone is respecting social distance. People seem to be handling this in two ways.

There is one group of people who are in good humor. They are being very patient and polite... they are respecting social distance but making a joke out of it. There was some "you go first... no you go" with good natured arm waving and smiles all around. Some people also seem eager to have small talk with a real human being... they would stand 7 feet away and talk loudly withe me. I appreciated this.

Then there are another group of people who seem bitter and angry, including a woman who pantomimed her disgust at me being in her way.

People are just trying to get through this. I think it helps to have a good sense of humor and a lot of patience.

Am I the only one who thinks the repeating recorded public service announcements in supermarkets are hilarious?

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the repeating recorded public service announcements in supermarkets are hilarious?

I did not notice this last time I was in the supermarket - however, I am trying, if I need any supplies, to order online and pick up from my car. If I can find it online, I have been ordering online and having it shipped.

I hope my disinfected wipes hold out - when I get an order shipped or grab something from the mailbox, or when I get anything from the store - I leave it outside until I can wipe it down with the wipes.

Not sure if I am paranoid but I figure better safe than sorry.

My daughter's therapist is now meeting her virtually or over the phone.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:57 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah... my way of coping with a stressful situation is to find the humor in everything. This really pissed off my ex-wife who believes that serious things need to be taken very seriously.

I do everything I am supposed to do. But after that, I figure I might as well enjoy the ridiculousness of it all.

It helps my mental health to think this way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 01:10 pm
One less thing to worry about - just got notification from my employer - there will be no layoffs through the duration of the coronavirus crisis and they likely will extend this to the end of the year.

Bad news is - this applies to no new hires as well. We are currently short staffed as we lost one person and are losing two more - due to people leaving the company. Hopefully if there is an area that might be slated to cuts maybe we can get someone good internally - our group certainly will need the help.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 07:44 am
@Linkat,
This ‘Crappy’ Museum Now Needs More Security Than the Louvre

https://imgur.com/lAu0zNY.jpg
Quote:
In Washington state, this run on toilet paper is causing one man to tighten up his home security.

Bobj Berger, a 74-year-old model railroader, train manager, and seasonal Santa Claus, has more than 200 rolls of the now-hot commodity. The vintage, odd, and unusual rolls of can be found at the Toilet Paper Museum, which he’s been curating in his home since the 1960s.

https://imgur.com/Tmr5w5Q.jpg
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:53 am
I made this thread when the "Coronavirus Diaries" thread started turning into mud throwing. That thread is nice now... and as long as that sticks, there is really no need for this thread.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 08:24 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies