US-Mexico Controversy About a "Racist" Postal Stamp

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:03 pm
I'll have to give it to you, JTT. That was hilarious.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:20 pm
Lash wrote:
I'll have to give it to you, JTT. That was hilarious.

Wish that it were simply hilarious, Lash, but 'hilarious' is not the word that comes to mind to describe this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:27 pm
Melodramatic?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Perhaps I should read the entire thread before stating the following: Jesse Jackson is an opportuniist, and the U.S. is hypocritical. But clearly, Mexico is a racist society, especially (but not exclusively) in its Indian states, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Campeche and Yucatan. I've always been appalled by the discrimination against "Indians" in Mexico. I have also observed anti-black attitudes, but not as much as in the U.S.. In 1955 I lived in Mexico City in a boarding house owned and managed by a highly educated black man from New York city. He told me that in Mexico City he was treated with a respect he never experience in the U.S.. This might be partly explained by the fact that he was considered "exotic" (and educated), whereas in the U.S. blacks are a competitive underclass.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
Lash wrote:
Melodramatic?

Your penchant for avoiding uncomfortable truths is truly amazing, Lash. This too, surprises me not at all.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:23 pm
...mundane?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:05 pm
I'm claiming this post spot as territory while I gather my small wits to make comments here. Check in from time to time, I may actually say something. (I'll edit as seems useful.)

I can infer that racism towards blacks is low in some or most parts of mexico.
It is more of a mess in los angeles, not that I know that personally, but from reading about the ups and downs since I left there, in '99.

I was just back in west LA this last week. I can only speak for what I see, which is my view of my niece's melieu as she graduates from a city high school. She is african american, and to be more specific, liberian irish american. Her best friends have ranged in heritage, but the one thing I can say interests her is mixed heritage, and that has been true for her teen life. Well, she's seventeen. Ask me again when she is 26. As of now, to me, from watching her, having feet in mixed cultures is having a step ahead.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:52 am
Very good first post Contestatario, welcome to A2K.

Farmerman, what can I say? "Pinche la capesa" means nothing. I don't even think there's an equivalent for "dickhead" in Spanish (at least Mexican Spanish).

Now, Pepe Le Pew a rapist? A failed seducer, I'd say. A stalker, perhaps. A sexual harasser, yes in this times. But a rapist? When did he "score"?
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:03 am
The problem is that blacks label the most insignificant thing to be "racist."
You look at a black person, then you're a racist. You don't give a black person a job, you're a racist. You fire a black person from work, you're a racist. You call a person "blackboy," then you're a racist, yet they can call us "whiteboy" and the public doesn't view that as racist.
This is Duke of Lancaster reporting live.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:56 pm
Duke, I think you are using black sensitivity to indicators of racism as a justification for white racism. I agree that the behavior of some blacks indicates racist attitudes towards whites. By that I mean that they consider the "whiteness" of all whites to make them racist. As far as I'm concerned any belief that "race" has any behavioral significance is racism, including the Nazi notion that whites are superior to non-whites. By this I mean that Nazi perception is ("positively) racist toward whites and (negatively) racist toward all other categories of people.
As an essentially political concept, I think we can or should bifurcate "racism" into the categories, "aggressive racism" and "defensive racism". Aggressilve racism is that practiced by some majority group people who use ideology to support their competition with or exploitation of biologically-defined "other" groups. Defensive racism refers to the ideology used by minority group people to justify their own disadvantages and brand as immoral the means by which majority people have gained their advantages, i.e., by means of inter-ethnic exploitation. It seems to me that if whites were to benefit economically by means of anti-racism there would be far less racism.
By the way, American anthropology has officially repudiated the notion of race as scientifically meaningless, with respect to biology. They still consider the term useful as a sociological term, as a reference to intergroup perceptions and definitions. They use the term "social race" (as opposed to "biological race") for this purpose.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Duke, I think you are using black sensitivity to indicators of racism as a justification for white racism. I agree that the behavior of some blacks indicates racist attitudes towards whites. By that I mean that they consider the "whiteness" of all whites to make them racist. As far as I'm concerned any belief that "race" has any behavioral significance is racism, including the Nazi notion that whites are superior to non-whites. By this I mean that Nazi perception is ("positively) racist toward whites and (negatively) racist toward all other categories of people.
As an essentially political concept, I think we can or should bifurcate "racism" into the categories, "aggressive racism" and "defensive racism". Aggressilve racism is that practiced by some majority group people who use ideology to support their competition with or exploitation of biologically-defined "other" groups. Defensive racism refers to the ideology used by minority group people to justify their own disadvantages and brand as immoral the means by which majority people have gained their advantages, i.e., by means of inter-ethnic exploitation. It seems to me that if whites were to benefit economically by means of anti-racism there would be far less racism.
By the way, American anthropology has officially repudiated the notion of race as scientifically meaningless, with respect to biology. They still consider the term useful as a sociological term, as a reference to intergroup perceptions and definitions. They use the term "social race" (as opposed to "biological race") for this purpose.

Ok, Whatever...... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:26 pm
OK. I never saw Pepe involved in the old in and out, but I am confident he would have if he could have.
0 Replies

jamie2004

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Racist Mexico Stamp
Members of the race, sex, religion, or ethnic group characterized should have the final say about whether they consider an image or characterization racist or offensive. As a Black person I find this characterization racist and offensive. By the same token, a characterization of Jewish people or Mexican people that I might find inoffensive could very well be deeply offensive to a person from one of those groups. This stamp should be withdrawn.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:35 pm
That's right, Jaime. It's for the one who is hit to say ouch. The one who does the hitting feels no pain, so he should have no say as to whether or not blow was painful.
0 Replies