July 4th, What does it mean to you?

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
Independance day is coming along rather quickly this year. Is there a day to be more patriotic? If there is, I can't think of it. I thought it would be interesting to see what this day means to everyone.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO DISCUSS OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS.

Please feel free to share your opinions and feelings on Independance day. I hope all our posters can allow fellow posters to share their opinions unfettered and free from having their opinions lambasted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 837 • Replies: 17
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
Every year for the past 15 or so, I use the holiday of July 4th as an excuse to go camping. This is the only trip I can convince my wife to come with me each year. We go to a lake in the Adirondacks where we do camping stuff. We canoe, climb a mountain, fish, sit around the fire and have family time away from the TV, computers, etc.

Invariably, since the birth of my son, I have tried to teach him why July 4th is an important day while we sit in the canoe, or around the fire. I explain to him how we are blessed to live in such a great country that we can do the things we do and we can have the things we have. July 4th represents the anniversary of the birth of one of the greatest nations to have existed.

We always watch the fireworks out on the water. You get an interesting perspective that way. Freedom is like that. Sometimes you need the proper perspective. Freedom is something worth fighting for. Freedom is something everyone should be entitled to have.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:07 pm
For me it means cooking out, hot weather, family, maybe some fireworks. We're leaving for Savannah tomorrow, my sister-in-law lives on the water, if the weather holds out, it should be lots of fun.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
My husband, and by association me too, has a passion for Civil War history and if we are within an hour of a commemorative Civil War battlefield anywhere, we visit it. We have his great grandfather's discharge from the Confederate Army.

As we were between wars and he was needed at home, Hubby didn't see any reason to go regular army, but joined the National Guard and served eight years there. He had his footlocker packed and was on stand by to be shipped out when John Kennedy turned back the Russian ships converging on Cuba and a military showdown was avoided.

I had six great uncles who fought in WWI and I think some 15+ relatives who fought in WWII, most for four years or more. Several of those and others went to Korea and the next generation was in Vietnam and more recently Desert Storm and the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Only a very few of these were career military. My father did not go overseas but spent his time during WWII running the commissary at a POW camp near Roswell NM. My mother worked with him.

It is the Fourth of July, more than Memorial Day, that I think of all those brave people, along with so many friends and neighbors, who went to war and came home with wounds, scars, ribbons, medals, and now and then a flag draped coffin. Except for one great niece who hated the Navy and kept going AWOL, each served with a sense of service, duty, and pride.

And because they were willing to serve, every day is Independence Day for all the rest of us.

We'll also have a cookout. Smile
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:08 pm
It means a whole bunch of people fought and died for ideals that I mostly believe in.

I wish we could return to a 'purer' time in this nation when our ideals meant more to us and our framers were more philosophic in thier law and policy making - but all in all - the 4th is a time to reflect on that freedom, sacrifice, and my (and many others) contunued efforts to keep the American experiment running.

In short, McG - it is the freedom to tell you to piss off - and have you tell me to piss off - and for both of us to laugh and have a beer and a brat about it instead of ending up in some prison.

Good question.

TF
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:23 pm
I at one time felt very proud to celebrate the 4th. But, since the Constitution and our freedoms have become more and more subverted, I can only look back with nostalgia.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:05 pm
a good day to remember that we live in the greatest place on earth.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:29 pm
When I was a little girl, I loved the 4th for all the fanfare and stuff.

Now, beyond the family getting together for some food and laughs...it's just another day. Mostly. I mean...I'm glad that I live in this country, but as for the 4th, and the country's independence as it relates to me ancestrally, I don't ..... as least not most of the time.... stare slack-jawed at the flag on the 4th.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:41 pm
I must echo edgar's sentiments. I had an obsession with our flag and our history, until I started paying attention to our government and their pals. (I don't mean this in a partisan manner at all)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:46 pm
I know my response will be taken for partisan, but it truly is not.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:44 pm
Bump
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:12 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bump

McG,
In my opinion, the bump was one of the more forgettable dance crazes.
The Hustle...Now that I can get behind.

p.s. I had a blast today (literally) with 3 cans of black powder, some duct tape, heavy cardboard tubing, six feet of fuse, and a lot of food and drink.

"Hey y'all, watch this! "
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:15 pm
Redneck's famous last words!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
I still have ten fingers !

WooHoo!!!
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:11 am
Arrow Mum's birthday
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:32 pm
Fireworks with my dad usually (although I missed 'em this year... Sad ) and the weather finally getting nice and hot... camping or swimming... and as far as the patriotism, thoughts of the fascinating men who formed our government and framed the Constitution. I'm not a big fan of flag-waving generally, but I do think the beginning of our country is amazing, and it's a good time to review my history lessons. Smile
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
...damn only 21 more days until my birthday!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:10 pm
The Fourth of July: What does it mean to you?

It was the last holiday that I spent with my father before he died.
0 Replies