Why Are Supplies Remaining Out of Stock?

livinglava

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

livinglava wrote:

Quote:
I don't believe toilet paper should be used again. Your choice.

There is toilet paper made from recycled paper, I believe.

Stop that.

I said the toilet paper isn't something, to be used again.

That has nothing to do with what type of paper the TP is originally made from

You obviously know the difference of what I said, and what you said.

If you don't, figure it out.

I knew what you said and what you meant. I chose not to respond since the validity of your point was self-evident.

Instead, I chose to mention that TP can be made from recycled paper, which is a different way that the paper-waste of TP can be reduced.

It wasn't exactly a response to your point about not re-using TP, but it was related from a paper-waste POV.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...worried about poor people...but poor people aren't getting hand sanitizer either.

I am quite concerned for poor people. Right now,regarding their basic needs and survival. Many are now dismissed from their jobs, can't afford to pay their expenses. In NYC at least, food is available to all, through the Grab and Go program. Originally set up so school age children would not lose out on their meals,, it has been expanded to all New York City residents. No I.D. required.

As for the hand sanitizer, it should be regarded as an essential item. A necessity. Free for those who cannot afford. Price gouging....which you seem to favor, punishable by fines.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 01:32 pm
The millions suddenly out of work have not all been used to being without funds or food. I hope they can be kept going by this inept government of ours.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 02:10 pm
@Sturgis,
There is a difference between policy and politics. With politics you only consider what people want to hear. With policy you have to consider the consequences.

1. Policy should be set to take care of the needs of poor people. That really has nothing to do with this discussion.

2. Someone still has to pay for "free" hand sanitizer. If the government is going to force people to make additional hand sanitizer for poor people, they are still going to have to pay the workers. This might be a good policy... but you still need to deal with the consequences.

3, The question is whether anti-price gouging policies have a positive effect or a negative one. Most economists believe that they have a negative effect, they lead to empty shelves.

If you found out that the economists are right, would you still stick to your principle?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 02:31 pm
@Sturgis,
I was thinking more about Sturgis' idea about giving poor people hand sanitizer.... it is seems like a bad idea for another reason. I have been poor at times in my life. If the government gave me hand sanitizer I would be offended. When I was poor, I didn't need hand sanitizer. I needed money.

If you give hand sanitizer to poor people.... they might want it. Or honestly it might not be anywhere near the top of their list. I can imagine saying "how the **** is this going to get me baby food or help me pay my list.

Far better to give people money, and let them decide what priorities they most need for their families. If people decide that hand sanitizer is what they need, then let them buy hand sanitizer.

Political principles are designed to sound great to people. But they don't always make sense in practice.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 02:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

3, The question is whether anti-price gouging policies have a positive effect or a negative one. Most economists believe that they have a negative effect, they lead to empty shelves.

Anti-price-gouging policies are to stop people from taking advantage of a situation in which a normal free-market response to price changes is limited by circumstances.

E.g. in a regular free market situation, someone who doesn't want to pay $50 for a sandwich or toilet paper has the option of choosing another seller with a better price.

In some situations, however, people may not be able to shop around for a lower price and then you have a situation where market freedom is curtailed by circumstances.

Under normal conditions, you as a supermarket manager could set your toilet paper price at $50/pack and see if anyone would pay just to avoid going to another store for toilet paper.

As to your notion about stimulating more production with higher prices, production is not currently the problem but rather supply-chain interference by fear and lockdowns. When the situation is back to a normal free-market, there is no reason the production costs changed from before the crisis.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 01:22 pm
Here is an article of why it is taking so long to resupply the shelves:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/04/08/coronavirus-shortage-where-has-all-the-toilet-paper-gone/2964143001/

Sounds like the decrease is due to two things - hoarding and the fact that people now need more TP at home. Seeing most are not going to work or school or traveling - they need more at home and less at work, school and at hotels. They have the cheaper industrial TP at these places.

The nice cushy ones like I like are in high demand because so many of us that might using this stuff elsewhere are now at home.

I did snag six rolls - that was all they were offering at this local grocery and they were almost out - not the product I would normally buy but we are down to about a roll (with the really small cheapy ones at backup)

Funny I tried Target's order and drive up - they sent me a survey and because it was new and my first time using I answered it - they did a pretty good job and I appreciated having this opportunity to just drive up so I answered - anyway they wrote back and asked if I had any questions or wanted to add something so I asked about the TP and how I just needed enough for my family I was trying to avoid leaving home and going to stores and I was not going to hoard - so he answered and told me the usually get some every day and restock in the morning so you have to come first thing before they are all gone - because he says about 40 people come in first thing and that is what they going to buy.

So don't you all go now and hoard - I am giving you this info on good faith that you will only go get what you need.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 01:26 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Seeing most are not going to work or school or traveling - they need more at home and less at work, school and at hotels. They have the cheaper industrial TP at these places.

So why aren't those businesses selling their 'cheaper industrial TP?'

If nothing else, they could offer it as a free bonus with other purchases.

and/or as employee bonuses
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 01:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat, you have 4 people in your holdhold so I don't think you're anywhere near hoarding.

I was looking back, but can't really tell when was the last time you had to get TP, and how much you got.
It does feel like it was in the month of April though, was it?

If whatever you bought only lasted a week to 10 days, you need to pump those up, those are rookie numbers. Very Happy

Me? I don't consider it hoarding to have a months supply of anything.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GraveFixedFinwhale-max-1mb.gif
Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 02:45 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Linkat wrote:
Seeing most are not going to work or school or traveling - they need more at home and less at work, school and at hotels. They have the cheaper industrial TP at these places.

So why aren't those businesses selling their 'cheaper industrial TP?'

If nothing else, they could offer it as a free bonus with other purchases.

and/or as employee bonuses

Because they are not going into the businesses - it just sitting there. Also, is not their business - can you see these execs at JPMorgan sitting outside selling TP - nope.

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 02:49 pm
@chai2,
I did buy a 4 pack - that one I did not open - this is cheapy back up. It is like those really small toilet paper rolls - more than likely thin one-ply that are very slim rolls.

All I had seen - I am down to about a half roll in our full bath and a half in our half bath of the stuff I like.

so yeah that four pack would have been gone in a couple of days because they were so tiny and you need to use more because the paper is thinner.

Supposedly these 6 packs no-name that I ended up snagging says they are comparable to Charmin ultra strong (I prefer the Ultra soft) - but beggers can't be choosers.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Because they are not going into the businesses - it just sitting there. Also, is not their business - can you see these execs at JPMorgan sitting outside selling TP - nope.

I guess if you really get down to it, between management arranging for security to allow employees to come in and pick up TP rolls from the office and employees without TP using makeshift bidets at home, the makeshift bidets are technically the more rational choice.

It's just that many people tend to choose irrationally when it comes to resisting change in their toilet habits.
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 03:49 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

It's just that many people tend to choose irrationally when it comes to resisting change in their toilet habits.

site your evidence please.

or is this something else we're to believe because you said it?
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 05:20 pm
I have explained to LL before that TP (and paper towels) is manufactured on a "ready-to-ship" basis. The margin is too low and the competition too high to warehouse TP and PT. Things don't seem to sink in with her, though.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 06:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

livinglava wrote:

site your evidence please.

or is this something else we're to believe because you said it?

You're supposed to reflect on what you understand about people and their feelings regarding their ingrained toilet habits.

Have you never had a discussion about bidets or hole-in-the-ground toilets or outhouses or porta-potties or any type of toilet that people consider 'different' from what they're used to?

Adapting to a toilet situation you feel strange about may not be that big of a deal, but people get very uncomfortable about it. I can't understand why you don't just immediately recognize this as true.

What else could you possibly think is the case regarding this topic? That lots of people are just constantly looking for new toilet-usage experiences? Really, is it possible to think that could be true?
chai2

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 06:13 pm
@livinglava,
ok.

So you're not going to, or able to show where you got the information to make such a statement of fact.

livinglava

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 07:19 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ok.

So you're not going to, or able to show where you got the information to make such a statement of fact.

How can I explain a fact to someone who doesn't understand that their own direct knowledge is factual?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:53 am
@livinglava,
My daughter suggested we use a hose to clean off after using the toilet.

She said that is how they do so in Egypt - now I have no knowledge, personally, if this is true or not; she has a good friend who's mom and dad are directly from Egypt.
livinglava

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:59 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My daughter suggested we use a hose to clean off after using the toilet.

She said that is how they do so in Egypt - now I have no knowledge, personally, if this is true or not; she has a good friend who's mom and dad are directly from Egypt.

Better than nothing, isn't it?

But what if you don't have a hose that will reach to the toilet?
Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2020 10:06 am
@livinglava,
Well I would guess if this is what is done in Egypt their hoses reach.

I think we could shimmy it through the window in our half bath - it is close to our outdoor facet - but now that I have TP no need to adjust.