Security cameras and dressing rooms..

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 03:28 pm
Curious, and I can not find a definitive outline on rules.

But, how close to the dressing room can a camera be?

can they be right IN the room?

What if you see one set back a ways, not in direct line of sight, but aimed and running pointing right to the room? Able to see you too...

isnt that illegal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 19,270 • Replies: 14

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 03:34 pm
@shewolfnm,
I HOPE so!!!

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:16 pm
@shewolfnm,
You worried about that beautiful black butt, those boobs, or what exactly?

I don't know the answer, either... sorry! I've never seen a camera in a dressing room, in fact, I rarely see an attendant.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:24 pm
It had better be a very wide angle lens cause I have to run around in the shower just to get wet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
Depends on the jurisdiction, but generally speaking (in Canada/U. S.), you've got no reasonable right to expect privacy on another's private property (or in a public space) . Stores/malls are private property.

The only place you can reasonably expect privacy is in your own home, and my understanding is that even that's questionable in the U.S.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:33 pm
@shewolfnm,
http://www.click2houston.com/investigates/14423871/detail.html

Can Stores Use Surveillance Cameras In Fitting Rooms?
By Amy Davis

POSTED: Thursday, October 25, 2007
HOUSTON -- You walk inside, close the door and undress. Most of us assume we're alone in department store dressing rooms, but one man asked Amy if stores can legally use video surveillance cameras inside fitting rooms.

Investigative reporter Amy Davis did some digging and found the answer that may make you have second thoughts about trying on those jeans before you buy them.

Cameron Bettis asked us about this when a friend of his allegedly saw Target employees monitoring security cameras that were shooting into the women's dressing room area. We learned what he saw is legal.

The Harris County District Attorney's office told us the Texas Penal Code makes it clear. Section 21.15 reads that a person commits an offense only if they photograph or video someone else "without the other person's consent" and "with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person."

That means stores have to post notice that you are being monitored by video surveillance.

We called the Target store Bettis mentioned. A manager said that while a camera does shoot towards the entrance and in the common area of the fitting room, it does not tape inside individual dressing rooms.

To read the entire section of the Texas Penal Code regarding this issue, click here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The link in the article is no longer valid, but I found the penal code section referred to on their new site:

From the article:

The Harris County District Attorney's office told us the Texas Penal Code makes it clear. Section 21.15 reads that a person commits an offense only if they photograph or video someone else "without the other person's consent" and "with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person."

The language from that section of the Texas Penal code:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.21.htm#21.15

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
That means stores have to post notice that you are being monitored by video surveillance.

watch for those little tiny signs just inside store/mall entrances noting that there 'may' be video surveillance - oddly (oh yeah) you often don't see the signs until you're leaving and you often have to really be looking for them

the whole 'sexual gratification' thing is pretty much impossible to use in a retail situation - there will be lots of security training manuals and loss management memos around with any decent sized retailer
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
In this store there is no sign posted any where.

In fact, if I did not look up, I would not have noticed the little blue light with the moving lens inside of it.

I find this very odd.

Im not worried. Really. I mean if someone wants to see me naked , generally all they have to do is give me 20 bucks.

But, i dont understand why taping or watching of people in the dressing room is legal.
Young children dress in there too. There are strict laws about them... but not adults?

eh. Strange.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:49 am
@shewolfnm,
It's called risk management/loss prevention.

A significant amount of retail shrinkage happens in store changing rooms.
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:50 am
@ehBeth,
well sometimes it's cold in those rooms and............oh, retail shrinkage Embarrassed , nevermind
0 Replies

kislele

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:10 am
@shewolfnm,
it may happen
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 08:20 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Im not worried. Really. I mean if someone wants to see me naked , generally all they have to do is give me 20 bucks.

Do you have change for a $50?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:53 am
This is very useful information. Particularly for a fellow like me, who is already contending with the microscopic, waterproof cameras the Russians secretly installed at the bottom of his toilet.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@Gargamel,
The Reds tried that in Texas, but weren't able to find a material that would stand up to the corrosive effects of a TexMex diet.
0 Replies

whiteserena

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:05 am
@shewolfnm,
Its right to get when you think about cameras and dressing room connection. Here wireless cameras on a smoky wall can be wired so no one can identify them. But most commonly they are always wired from right outside the dressing room to whole shop.Hope you will get satisfied with the reply.
0 Replies