(Reminiscing) about Stores and companies that are gradually disappearing or are no longer around.

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 01:59 am
(Reminiscing) about Stores and companies that are gradually disappearing or are no longer around.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 463 • Replies: 19
No top replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 05:39 am
I can still hear the voice on the radio telling people to show up for the big sale because, "Grants is closing its doors – forever!"

Quote:
At its peak, Grants was the fifth-largest retailer in the United States. But the fall was harsh, as Grants went through the second-biggest bankruptcy in U.S. history to that point and tens of thousands of workers lost their jobs.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 08:29 am

i am missing more restaurants than i can count... particularly chinese restaurants, which appear to be a dying breed...
jcboy

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 10:37 am
@Region Philbis,
Speaking of chinese restaurants, there is one we went to quite often, you used to be able to sit inside and eat but ever since COIVD they to this day have not opened the indoor dining. Take out only.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 01:57 pm
When a friend of ours came to stay from Arizona, quite a few years ago now, she remarked that we still had a Blockbusters when in reality we had a used car salesman too lazy to take down the sign.

What it interesting is what has closed down over here, but is still going elsewhere. Safeways closed down a very long time ago, but recently their lorries have appeared on the roads.

C&A is still going in Holland but shut down here years ago, as had Woolworths which I believe is still going in Australia.

More recently Debenhams, which was a long established Department Store, has closed for good, as has Wilko.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 02:32 pm
Boston area folks: Lechmere Sales (appliances, electronics) Cambridge, Mass.
Raymond’s department store
Adventure Car Hop
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 08:48 pm
When I was growing up, my dad would tell me to be sure to get a Sears credit card because wherever you went, there would be a Sears.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 10:35 pm
@engineer,
Sears and Kmart went out at the same time.
Mame

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 07:35 am
@roger,
We had a Woodwards in BC owned and managed by the Woodwards family that was a fantastic store. They went out of business about 30 years ago and people still reminisce about it. And Army & Navy seems to be no more, as well. That's where I bought all my baby supplies. They also had great shoes, but the clothing was more like what you'd find at Target. We had Zellers, Woolworth's, and Woolco, all low-priced Target-y stores, all of which are gone.

Target decided to enter the Canadian market by taking over the Zellers' locations but were forced to close due to terrible management. No supplies on shelves, cheap goods, high prices (we're not gullible), and awful customer service. Good riddance.

Oh, and Eatons, which was a staple, is gone.
hightor

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 08:00 am
@Mame,
Can you still buy EddyLites?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 08:08 am
JC Whitney. What's left is just a brand name.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 08:20 am
@Mame,
I remember there being an Army and Navy in Goole when I was a kid.

I'd forgotten about it until I read your post.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 09:45 am
@hightor,
I had to look that up - don't remember them, of course, and I think the only matchboxes around now are the large boxes. No matchbooks to be found anywhere, and no smaller boxes. I remember my aunt and uncle's 'goodie' at their wedding was a matchbook with their names and wedding date on it. That's nearly 60 years ago but it was a real fad for a while.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2024 09:53 am
@Mame,
They don't make them like that any more.

I always thought the Beatles were Scousers!
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2024 08:46 pm
1. I can remember a time when all major shopping malls all had certain stores.

2. It didn't matter what city I was in.

3. Every mall had a JC Penny, Sears, and Macys.

4. Every mall's food court had one of those Cinnamon Bun restaurants.

5. Every mall had two record stores, with Sam Goody's Record store being one.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2024 08:49 pm
I can remember when certain book stores were easy to find.

1. Barnes and Nobles
2. Borders
3. B. Dalton
4. Walden
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2024 08:51 pm
Who can forget Toys R Us and KB Toys.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2024 08:57 pm
1. I remember when JC Penney and Sears had these 3 inch thick catalogs.

2. The catalogs were filled cover to cover with photo images of their products.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2024 09:01 pm
I also remember when Sears was called Sears and Roebucks.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2024 08:48 am
Burger Chef
(1977 Commercial)

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » (Reminiscing) about Stores and companies that are gradually disappearing or are no longer around.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 07:31:23