Happy St. Patrick's Day 2020! Doing anything special for the holiday?

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:54 pm
Hi. Happy St. Patrick's Day 2020! I am just a bit curious about this. Are you doing anything special for the holiday?

I haven't really done anything special for it. I wore a green shirt and that was about it. I went grocery shopping earlier today. I was surprised nonSt. Patrick's Day-themed music was being played over my local supermarket's PA system. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised - everyone is so fixated on the Wuhan Flu scare, which to me is ridiculous. In light of the negativity concerning the Covid-19 I am still going to talk about the holiday and focus on it. I'm not letting a stupid virus or media scare ruin my holiday.

I would rather focus on something positive.

A few weeks ago my town had its annual St. Patrick's Day parade but I didn't get to see it. It's my town's tradition to hold a parade a few Saturdays in March before the actual holiday.

I'll probably listen to some Irish culture-themed music and/or some holiday-themed music specifically but that's about it. I want a break from what I am dealing with in my personal life right now. I don't know if there was any holiday-related stuff on TV today; I can't watch TV at the moment.

What about you?

Please help - thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,918 • Replies: 44
Topic Closed

cherrie

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 09:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm not letting a stupid virus or media scare ruin my holiday.

You really do just live in your own little world, don't you.

All over the world St Patrick's Day celebrations and parades have been cancelled because of this 'stupid virus'. It's a bit difficult to do these things with a ban on outdoor gatherings of more than 500, or indoor gatherings of more than 100 people.
chai2

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:07 pm
@cherrie,
Why would a town have a st Patrick’s day parade a few weeks ago?
Not only his own little world, but one that is a fantasy.

Where I live groups are limited to 10.
JGoldman10

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:47 pm
@chai2,
I don't know, it's a city tradition. My hometown always holds the parade the first Saturday in March every year. It's always been that way since I moved here.
JGoldman10

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:48 pm
@cherrie,
Lol.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I was surprised no St. Patrick's Day-themed music was being played over my local supermarket's PA system.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:55 pm
@cherrie,
I'm a Christian and I am not concerned about the virus. We Christians know how to pray. It WILL be contained.

God is bigger than any virus.
cherrie

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 11:12 pm
@chai2,
It's still 500 and 100 here, but it's probably just a matter of time before that's lowered further.
0 Replies

cherrie

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 11:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then you all need to start praying a bit harder because what you're doing isn't working.
JGoldman10

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 12:28 am
@cherrie,
My pastor prayed about the virus being contained and it WILL be. He's a prophet.
JGoldman10

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 12:30 am
Cherrie and Chai, in light of what's going on in the world regarding Covid-19, did you two have a nice holiday? Did you two do anything special for the holiday?
Rebelofnj

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 03:08 am
@JGoldman10,
I couldn't do anything, really.

The parade was cancelled, there is a curfew in effect, the bars were closed, and no major public gatherings are allowed. Plus, my workplace will likely close by the weekend, so I will have to stay home for the foreseeable future.
0 Replies

cherrie

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 03:18 am
@JGoldman10,
It's not a holiday here. I went to work like usual and it was just another day.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 04:34 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm a Christian and I am not concerned about the virus. We Christians know how to pray. It WILL be contained.

God is bigger than any virus.

You should be concerned about your mother, from what you've said she's in a high risk group, and you should be taking precautions for her sake if nothing else.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 04:37 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

My pastor prayed about the virus being contained and it WILL be. He's a prophet.

Some things never change.

The apprehensions of the people were likewise strangely increased by the error of the times; in which, I think, the people, from what principle I cannot imagine, were more addicted to prophecies and astrological conjurations, dreams, and old wives' tales than ever they were before or since. Whether this unhappy temper was originally raised by the follies of some people who got money by it—that is to say, by printing predictions and prognostications—I know not; but certain it is, books frighted them terribly, such as Lilly's Almanack, Gadbury's Astrological Predictions, Poor Robin's Almanack, and the like; also several pretended religious books, one entitled, Come out of her, my People, lest you be Partaker of her Plagues; another called, Fair Warning; another, Britain's Remembrancer; and many such, all, or most part of which, foretold, directly or covertly, the ruin of the city. Nay, some were so enthusiastically bold as to run about the streets with their oral predictions, pretending they were sent to preach to the city; and one in particular, who, like Jonah to Nineveh, cried in the streets, 'Yet forty days, and London shall be destroyed.' I will not be positive whether he said yet forty days or yet a few days. Another ran about naked, except a pair of drawers about his waist, crying day and night, like a man that Josephus mentions, who cried, 'Woe to Jerusalem!' a little before the destruction of that city. So this poor naked creature cried, 'Oh, the great and the dreadful God!' and said no more, but repeated those words continually, with a voice and countenance full of horror, a swift pace; and nobody could ever find him to stop or rest, or take any sustenance, at least that ever I could hear of. I met this poor creature several times in the streets, and would have spoken to him, but he would not enter into speech with me or any one else, but held on his dismal cries continually.

Daniel Defoe A Journal of the Plague Year, published 1722, about events in 1665.
cherrie

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 04:51 am
@izzythepush,
I seem to remember from another thread that his mother's in hospital or rehab or something. So at least she's being looked after by people who actually have an understanding of what's going on in the world, and won't be relying on prayers to make it all go away.
izzythepush

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 05:02 am
@cherrie,
I know. I think the phrase God helps those who help themselves is appropriate. For sake of argument let's assume there's a benevolent god. That god gave us the understanding to learn about disease, what causes it, and how to prevent it, therefore we should do just that.

Islam takes it a step further and commands its followers to seek knowledge, which is why Islamic science and medicine was way ahead of that over here until the Renaissance.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 06:08 am
@JGoldman10,
What else has your pastor accurately predicted?

Also, it seems like Ireland, which has always held major celebrations for St. Patrick's Day, has cancelled all major festivities, with smaller get-togethers still happening
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51941641
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/gabrielsanchez/st-patricks-day-ireland-coronavirus-pictures
Sturgis

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 07:20 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
He's a prophet.

Not a very good one, apparently.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 18 Mar, 2020 07:33 am
As to St.Patrick's Day, I hold no real interest. The first one this year was the usual non-inclusive mess. Took place March 1 out on Satan's Island (that'd be Staten Island to some). As per usual they would not allow non-heterosexuals to be part of it. Considering that NYC police officers are there for security and the DSNY (Sanitation dept) are there to clean up after, it seems wrong that the city keeps giving them permits.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the Covid-19 wiped out most parades this year. The blame for this JGoldman10, falls upon your Pastor. Clearly they are not praying hard enough or with enough sincerity or purity of their heart.
0 Replies