Coronavirus Diaries

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:10 pm
@Linkat,
If you don’t mind, please keep me informed and pass along to him that a lot of Americans feel that he and his colleagues are the heroes of this moment.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Airlines do not need bailout money. These miserable scuzzballs have been soaking the people flying for years. They are constantly looking for and finding new ways to up the price of a ticket so as to get a tidier profit. A profit which doesn't go to the rank and file worker. It goes to the people at the top, the already handsomely paid executives.

More seats (less leg room and narrower seats), reduction of any "perks", such as roasted almonds, continental breakfast...any food product. Charges for each bag...

No way an airline should get more taxpayer dollars.

Sounds to me like bus travel is for you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Many of these corporations have plowed their profits back into their own corporations by buying shares in their corporations...

Which ones?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:34 pm
@McGentrix,
That was in the mainstream news as it happened.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:39 pm
@Lash,
That's very thoughoul thank you ... I will let him know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:08 pm

Home
See new Tweets
What’s happening?

Your Home Timeline
Chris Richards 🌹🍑❤️🅰️
@EclecticRadical
·
2h
Someone needs to teach megacorporations how to live within their means, spend frugally, and save for a rainy day so they can stop bumming it off the taxpayer’s money.

#CapitalismKills
Tammy Kosiancic 🌹🌺🐦
@TammyKosiancic
·
5m
Why be careful when they know they'll get bailed out no matter what? Like spoiled rich kids.
Chris Richards 🌹🍑❤️🅰️
@EclecticRadical
·
58s
GIF
Nuveen
@NuveenInv
With more than 120 years of innovation helping clients meet their income needs, we know what income investing is all about. https://nuveen.com/income-oriented-investing?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_paid&utm_campaign=brand&utm_content=income
0:18
Promoted
BarbieWaifu Retweeted
CJ Berina for Congress
@CJ4Congress2020
·
15m
Cancel student debt? Whose going to pay for it?

Medicare for All? How are we going to pay for that?

Homes for the homeless? No way

$6 trillion dollars for the wealthiest corporations that will probably use it on executive bonuses & stock buybacks without oversight? Yea, sure!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:41 pm
It’s particularly interesting that in the US, people who live paycheque to paycheque are expected to have enough savings to live several months with no income, while apparently well run billion dollar companies are going to go bankrupt after a couple of weeks of reduced profits
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 12:17 am
@Wilso,
Amen . . . the logic of that position escapes me, too.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 07:26 am
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/vancouver-healthcare-workers-coronavirus-234642479.html

This brightened my morning.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 07:30 am
@Joeblow,
That certainly is good to see.
Joeblow

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 07:45 am
@Setanta,
Yeah. Pretty cool. It's nice that it's timed for a shift change. I heard it's happening in Ajax, too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In fact, oh father of long-winded, meaningless posts, the real question is why should tax payers bail out any corporation. Lining up to feed at the public trough, George?

In order to keep them alive, able to pay their employees, and deliver (now in the case of most businesses, or later in the case of restaurants and other like businesses that are already completely shut down). The employees and employers in all these corporations are already organized in usually efficient, mutually supporting ways, and there is meaningful social and economic value in their continued existence. Reinventing them all after the recovery would be more costly to both the people and the government, They are, after all, the direct or indirect source of nearly all the taxes paid to our government.

None of the companies with which I am associated is currently planning to apply for any of the loans being offered in the pending legislation. The loans must be repaid and the attending government requirements (stock sales transfers or security commitments , etc. ) are not yet clear. Two of the three companies with which I am associated (one my own) are debt free and intend to stay that way if at all possible. To my knowledge the pending legislation offers only loans, no grants or subsidies.

You appear to be unaware of or uninterested in the facts in these programs and more interested in merely reciting your preconceived prejudices.

Parenthetically, I am very skeptical of the likely benefits attendant to any long term or continuing government subsidies. The adverse, usually counterproductive, side effects in most cases leave them doing more harm to the intended beneficiaries than good. Our student college loan program is a good example. This effort is, in my eyes, justifiable only in that it is a temporary measure to contain a well defined transient, but serious, emergency.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:39 am

Quote:
You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be
All right, all right, all right
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:42 am
People have actually died specifically because of ignoramus, completely irresponsible word diarrhea from Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-cure-kills-man-after-trump-touts-chloroquine-phosphate

Now, he's so worried about the coming election and +
*the economic downturn wrecking his #1 argument that he should be elected* that he's willing for millions more people to die.

He's using media coverage to pressure Americans to return to work earlier than medical advice states.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-pandemic-trump-should-not-tell-americans-back-to-work-2020-3

georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:50 am
@Lash,
Those are merely your assumptions, not facts. It is clear that we cannot keep the country shut down indefinitely, and that more harm than good would attend any effort to do so. That said, until we get to the point at which the uncontrolled spread of the disease is ended and effective treatment modalities are in hand and operating, we should avoid loosening the reins. I believe Trump was fairly clear about these points. He indicated Easter as a goal, and not a fixed date.

Would you have preferred that he didn't address this issue at all???
The fact is many others were already expressing and advocating the same thing. Ignoring the facts and challenges attendant to these trade-offs would do no one any good.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:52 am
@georgeob1,
Trade offs? What's the death rate for trade offs? Do you live in a gated community with private security guards?
georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:59 am
@Setanta,
A complete economic collapse would injure many people, and cripple our efforts to treat the sick and combat the spread of the disease. Do you deny that? Perhaps you live in a world of absolutes of your own design. The real world which we all inhabit is far more complex than that and does indeed involve tradeoffs.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:05 am
@georgeob1,
George, I am willing to accept your point about the "trade-offs". The problem I have is the math.

Right now we have had steady exponential growth for over two weeks. You can do the math yourself on this, the number of deaths is 780 right now, if it doubles every three days (which is what we are doing) it looks like this
today is

3/25 and there have been 780 deaths in the United States.

projecting forward on the current trend of exponential growth (doubling every 3 days).

3/28 1560 deaths in the US
3/31 3120 deaths
4/03 6240 deaths
4/06 12480 deaths
4/09 24960 deaths
4/12 49920 deaths.
4/15 99840 deaths.

We know there will be a "peak" and that at some point this growth starts slowing. There is no sign of this happening yet. And worse, lifting the restrictions makes the peak number of deaths much higher. It is easy to see the number of deaths in the US from this going into the hundreds of thousands.

Understanding that this is the mathematical reality that we are looking at, and that these numbers match the actual growth from the past 2 weeks... are you really willing to say that shutting down the country isn't worthwhile?

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:28 am
@georgeob1,
I prefer that he acquiesce to the expertise of medical professionals, epidemiologists, and those who've been following the pathology of this pandemic--and he should have kept his stupid mouth shut about "I heard there's a National Enquirer-sponsored cure..." that did result in people's deaths.

Anything else is reckless with millions of lives.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

People have actually died specifically because of ignoramus, completely irresponsible word diarrhea from Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-cure-kills-man-after-trump-touts-chloroquine-phosphate

Although I agree he should not be spewing things he is not an expert on - but really - how stupid do this people have to be. There is a huge difference between an actual prescription drug and some chemical you use for fish. I mean would reasonable people do this?

So should doctors that prescribe and promote penicillin are held liable for people that think eating mold to cure an ailment?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Coronavirus Diaries
  3. » Page 13
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 07:29:26