Former Republican Senator John Danforth

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:20 pm
Robin Young had an interview on today with former republican senator John Danforth. Danforth is also an ordained, but not practicing priest (Episcopal). He has written a couple of op-ed pieces speaking out against the republican party's partnership with the religious right.

What do you all know of or think about this guy? Seems he's getting some interesting responses from his writing. The link to NPR below offers a link to listen to the interview. I'll go look for his writing.....

NPR Interview
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 995 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:27 pm
June 17th, NYT oped piece by John C. Danforth called: Onward, Moderate Christian Soldiers

the NYT archieve page is a little slow right now.... more later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
Very. He served in the senate for something like 16 years starting in the mid 70s. He says he supports Bush, mostly, but that he thinks it's a bad move to allow religion to run decision-making. Influence - ok, run - not ok.

Did you listen?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:53 pm
I love Fresh Air, but tuned in late and only heard the second half with Shelby Foote. I'll have to mess with my computer to listen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:57 pm
Listening, and reading some other reviews of the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20050628/cm_csm/eten/nc:742

Quote:

In recent decades, though, their clash has gradually widened in scope and players. It's not just the conservatives and secularists anymore, but also other people of faith, many of them devout Christians, who have become alarmed at the aggressive agenda of the conservatives.

As former Sen. John Danforth, a Republican from Missouri, recently opined in the New York Times, "It is important for those of us who are sometimes called moderates to make the case that we, too, have strongly held Christian convictions... Our difference concerns the extent to which government should, or even can, translate religious beliefs into the laws of the state."

The senator appeared to speak for a largely unheard constituency in the religion debate, and also hinted at the contest's larger scope in politics, legislation, courts, and schools.

A single and profound question underlies the religious tussle: To what extent should government bring religious beliefs into people's lives?

and this guy kinda scares me

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/6/282005tw.asp

Danforth's definitely an interesting man.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/12/02/danforth.resigns/
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:10 pm
"this guy kinda scares me"

Really? What scares you?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
Did you read the article at agape, diag?

<it's the author that scares me, not Danforth>
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Did you read the article at agape, diag?

<it's the author that scares me, not Danforth>

Yup, went straight to it when I read your reference. Why does the author scare you?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:16 am
Quote:

We believe there is absolute truth and fixed standards of morality that have been given to us by the God of the Holy Bible. Examples of these fixed standards are found in the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount.

What's at stake here is whose definition of right and wrong will prevail when it comes to social mores and public policy and where that leaves us -- and leads us -- as a people and what it means to our future. This is the war for the soul of America, if you will.

Jeez Diagknowz,

You don't see what is scary about this?

He is declaring war on me.

I thought I was a good American freedom loving citizen... but according to him I am an enemy in the "war for the soul of America".

How am I supposed to take this?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:45 am
Oh, cummon, eBrown, he's talking about a war of ideas, not a bloody, physical war....as in "culture wars," ya know?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:17 am
I know. So what?

His stated goal is to force his religious beliefs on me-- whether or not I accept them. He plans to do this by imposing laws based on religion. That is what bothers me.

This guy is saying that I, as an American citizen, should be judged by his religion. He wants to take his idea of "absolute" truth and ram it down my throat.

The fact that I don't accept his view of "absolute" truth makes me an enemy to the "soul of America".As an American who believes in "liberty and justice for all",

I take offense at this.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

We believe there is absolute truth and fixed standards of morality that have been given to us by the God of the Holy Bible. Examples of these fixed standards are found in the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount.

What's at stake here is whose definition of right and wrong will prevail when it comes to social mores and public policy and where that leaves us -- and leads us -- as a people and what it means to our future. This is the war for the soul of America, if you will.

?

When the Stuarts became kings of England, there was increasing pressure on the Presbyterian Church of Scotland to adopt an Episcopal (i.e. bishops, cardinals etc) mode of organization and government. This ecclesiastical establishment would determine what was acceptable belief for everyone else. The Church of Scotland pussy footed and hedged around this issue for years before finally issuing a definite statement:

"Bishops are a nuisance"

There are many kinds of bishops, and not all of them are ecclesiastical but they are all the same:

Bishops are a nuisance.
0 Replies