US briefly showed a glimp of their real intentions!

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:37 am
Americans raise hackles by flying Stars and Stripes in Iraq

Nicholas Watt
Saturday March 22, 2003
The Guardian

American marines swept aside Iraqi sensibilities yesterday to raise the Stars and Stripes at the entrance to Iraq's main port of Umm Qasr.
In a move condemned by MPs as crass, the marines replaced the Iraqi flag in an attempt to recreate the iconic image of the US flag being raised over the Pacific island of Iwo Jima in the second world war.

Geoff Hoon, the defence secretary, promised to pass on British concerns about the raising of the flag, which undermined allied claims that they were liberating, not conquering, Iraq.

His remarks came after Crispin Blunt, a Tory MP who served in the first Gulf war, said: "It would be singularly unfortunate if the Stars and Stripes was, for example, planted over the parliament building in Baghdad at a future stage."

Promising to raise the matter with the US authorities, Mr Hoon attempted to calm waters by saying: "It is necessary to understand how, at the end of what was a vigorous confrontation, any soldiers are likely to feel the need to demonstrate their success, which I suspect is what happened overnight."

Britain underlined its determination to respect Iraqi sovereignty by warning its troops not to wave the union flag. Addressing 1 Battalion the Irish Guards this week, Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins said: "We go to liberate, not to conquer."

The Americans later replaced the Iraqi flag in Umm Qasr.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,180 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:49 am
Yeah, that WAS tacky. I'm glad that it was fixed.

I question the title of your thread though. A thoughtless act by a bunch of young marines excited by their accomplishment, does not indicate showing America's "real face".
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:51 am
wait and see!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:59 am
All countries got a pretty ugly face somewhere - that was quite a Freudian slip, though...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:15 am
A clumsy but understandable behavior after 2001-9-11.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:44 am
I beleive time will quickly tell whether this was just a faux pas by excitable youngsters, or something else.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:33 am
This kind of thing is easily used as a propaganda in one side. I know an Iraqi diplomat referred to this incident in front of the press. Readers should be careful.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:58 am
Oh no, I hope it was just youthful exuberance and not a try for a picture, ala, Iwo Jima.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:15 am
Let's hear it for the guys who've shed their blood, in this encounter with Iraq, for the USA, Great Britain and Australia!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:18 am
Remember: The most blood shed will be Iraqi blood. And so far the British are taking the most casualties.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:04 pm
And again the US showed their real intentions

Where is the humanitarian aid that was promised to the Iraqi people. Day 5 of the war and no sign of that help. However Journalists are reporting Trucks are crossing the Kuwait border and head for the oil fields. Trucks loaded with pipelines, equipement and engineers for fixing the damaged oil installations. Meanwhile Basra has no water supply and no electricity. The occupying forces are responsibility to provide for the welfare of the Iraqis. It is estimated 60 percent of Iraqis are dependent on the program for food, in which some oil sales have been exempted from sanctions placed on Iraq so that the proceeds can be used to buy humanitarian supplies.

Sixty percent of the local population are still without access to a regular water supply. This could develop into a humanitarian crisis. And what is the first priority of those forces. Secure the oilfields and repair the damaged installation.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:45 pm
Ribbit-Ribbit
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:57 pm
Asherman, I thought you were a man of reason and arguments. Sorry, Had to adjust my opinion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:59 pm
I agree with some of your concerns, frolic, but like Phoenix, I think your title was over-the-top...

...and your subsequent remarks using that same phrase were also.

You had some good points to make -- excellent questions to ask to be considered...but you really screwed up the opportunity to contribure with some atypical rashness.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
To adjust the title, what do you suggest?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
How about:

"Americans raise hackles by flying Stars and Stripes in Iraq"
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:41 am
What flag?
To be most clear, what kind of flag SHOULD our troops be waving?

a) American
b) U.N.
c) Iraq
d) A new symbol, chosen by the people of Iraq
e) Exxon Mobil
f) Hologram, changes color depending on how you look at it.
g) Texas
h) Bush family crest
i) Jolly Roger (skull and cross-bones)
j) World Flag (earth on a blue background)
k) CNN, ABC, or NBC
l) ESPN
m) Christian cross
n) White truce flag
o) Reichministry of Homeland Defense
p) Very large dollar bill

... Ideas? Honest opinions?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:43 am
The US staff spread the word the Iraqi seem to like the White flag. But so far this hasn't been confirmed by honest sources!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:55 am
Frank Apisa- Yup. That sounds about right!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
Codeburg, you made me laugh. Something that is getting hard to do these days, Thanks. And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies