Sleeping question

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:33 pm
I know infants sleep for pretty much most of the day. But I am currently doing foster care and have a 1 & a half year old in my home at the moment who seems to sleep a lot. Shouldn't they be more active? I've checked him and he doesn't seem to be running a feaver or sick. He does have a diaper rash but other than that nothing I can see. He does eat when he is awake so there is no change there. He's a rolly polly little guy could that be why? Am I worrying about nothing? It just seems like he should be up and getting into stuff. I mean he'll be in his terrible two's soon. I also noticed that he'll be in the middle of play and just sort of hunch over asleep all of a sudden. I want to take him in to the doctor but waiting for the social worker to get me his paper work filled out as I can not do it for him. Anyone else out there know if this is normal for that age group? thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:10 pm
I think "normal" sleep for that age is around 12-14 hours a day. Ya-ya is 19 months. She sleeps 11 hours at night with a 1-2 hour afternoon nap.

Chart the amount of sleep over several days. The doctor will need that.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 01:31 pm
thanks so much for your reply. Doing just that. I hate that it takes so long to get into a doctor here.
0 Replies

stratman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I think "normal" sleep for that age is around 12-14 hours a day. Ya-ya is 19 months. She sleeps 11 hours at night with a 1-2 hour afternoon nap.

Does she sleep through the night? Ours is 16months and every since she started walking, she has begun to have nightmares and talk in her sleep. Because of this she'll wake up at least once a night (sometimes twice) needing a bottle or to come in our bed. (I know, its not good to have a baby in bed). We are trying to get her to stay in her crib by giving her a bottle and comforting her, and recently it seems to be working but the interrupted sleep is tough.

I'm asking for any advice on the subject.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
Stratman--

Welcome to A2K?

What is in the bottle? I remember the willingness to do anything for a full night of sleep, but 16 months is old enough for tooth trouble if the teeth are bathed in milk or juice all night long.

This too shall pass--but waiting is very, very hard.
0 Replies

stratman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 05:35 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Stratman--

Welcome to A2K?

What is in the bottle? I remember the willingness to do anything for a full night of sleep, but 16 months is old enough for tooth trouble if the teeth are bathed in milk or juice all night long.

This too shall pass--but waiting is very, very hard.

thanks for the welcome.

we give her a milk bottle at night and clean her teeth in the morning.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 05:43 pm
devious

bean is 1 1/2 and she sleeps alot as well.
11 hours at night, about a 3 hour nap in the day time.
SOMETIMES that nap is broken up into 2- 1 hour naps.
It depends on her activity level.
Im pointing this out because her sleep pattern changes quite a bit. For the most part se is sleeping just as she should.
If your 1 1/2 year old is getting about 14 hrs sleep, like drewdad said.. that is the normal range. How they get into that range is up to them.
If it is less or more then tell your doc. If not, waiting for your next appointment is fine as well.
My other questions would be...
what is the childs history? Any medical problems?
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:13 pm
Well we are going through another stage now lol it's called teething. He's got all four molers coming in at one time so he is not in the happiest of moods and he has an ear infection. Due to these things The sleeping has slowed way down. As for his medical history I have no clue. I just know that him and his brother were horribly abused there for now in my ome. I finally got him in to see a doctor and they are going to do tests cause I also noticed that he seems to space out at times. I know I come on here and ask maybe what seems like really dumb questions but I didn't get my own little girl till she was 2 and I have taken care of other kids but you know how that is you take care of them for a few hours and they go back to mom. In this case They don't go back they are with me 24/7 and I have to figure out what is "normal" or what isn't. And frankly I don't know half the time so I come on here cause I know most of these parents are pros at this and i'm freakin out if he's leaking to much lol I feel best asking or coming to the "pros". Learning every day from different people. I love this place for that reason. I dont' feel so alone.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:21 pm
as I was saying, another dumb question. So this kid is teething all four back teeth as I said. do teathing rings still work for them? He has all his front teeth in place and I was worried that maybe he could break the ring. You know those with the liquid inside that you can freeze?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
yes , I know the kind you are talking about.
If you are worried about that, then just throw some of his small plastic toys in the freezer. Same concept.
It doesnt have to be a water filled toy. Anything that is cold and hard enough for him to get a good ' chew' by all means.. put it in the freezer.

What I have seen and heard from lots pf people is that teething can cause some pretty strange things. Some babies sleep for very long periods of time. Some loose sleep at night. Some dont eat. Some eat more then before.. Some babies.. you wouldnt even notice the diffrence.

Given that this child has come from an abusive situation, the excessive sleeping may be a coping mechanisim that will take a while to break.
Insecurity in children, as I have read about, causes them to over sleep, not have an interest in eating, and even some 'cold symptoms' . Many MANY things can be going on.

If the child was abused , then there is the HUGE possibility that he was not FED properly and could be lacking in his physical growth, be prone to sickness more then other children... the list can go on and on.

Someone mentioned before to keep a journal of sleep patterns... If you have the ability, I would keep a journal PERIOD.
This will be a tacky thing to say but-
I would keep a journal for liability purposes in this case. An abused child THAT young, may not show signs until later in life. You dont ever want anyone to point to you for it..
The second reason is , if the child was badly abused, and things DONT show until later, your notes will help a doctor treat him properly and correctly the FIRST time if anything does show up.

Im probally preaching to the choir here.. ;-)
You are no stranger to fostering children.
Dont ever feel like your questions are stupid.
The stupid questions are the ones that are NOT asked.
;-)
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
Thanks shewolf. Actually I do have a journal for each kid for just that reason. I had lacked in it and I'm glad you said some thing I'm starting it again. all your advice has been very help full. thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:39 pm
D_B--

Not only do you ask sensible questions, I get the feeling that you will act on good answers and down the road pass the information on.

Your questions are a pleasure.
0 Replies