Is this Current? Is it Legitimate?

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:30 pm
I received this by email today and was wondering if this was a brand new situation or the same ongoing battle...

Dear Friend:
To the best of my knowledge and ability to verify, this is a legitimate petition. Please read this message and consider responding as soon as possible.

On NPR's Morning Edition, Nina Tottenberg announced that if the Supreme Court supports Congress, it will, in effect, be the end of the National Public Radio (NPR), National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) & the Public
Broadcasting System (PBS). PBS, NPR and the arts are facing major cutbacks in funding. In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce spending costs and streamline their services, some government officials believe that the funding currently going to these programs is too large a portion of funding for something which is seen as not worthwhile.

This message is for anyone who thinks NPR/PBS is a worthwhile
expenditure of $1.12/year of their taxes. The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of support for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our voices heard.

Please add your name to this! list and forward it to friends who believe in what this stands for. This list will be forwarded to the President and the Vice President of the United States. This petition is being passed
around the Internet.

Please add your name to it so that funding can be maintained for NPR, PBS, & the NEA.

HOW TO SIGN: IT'S EASY: First SELECT all of the text in this message,
then COPY and PASTE it into a new email (DO NOT FORWARD). ADD your name to the bottom of the list and SEND it to everyone in your list.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT DUPLICATES. This is being sent to several people at
once to add their names to the petition. It won't matter if many people receive the same list as THE NAMES ARE BEING MANAGED.

If you decide not to sign, please don't kill it. Send it to the email address listed here: [email protected]

<<_http://us.f545.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?
[email protected]&_
(http://us.f545.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?
[email protected]&)

YY=30517&order=down&sort=date&pos=0>>

If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th, etc., signer of this petition, please forward a copy to the above address. This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them.

Send this to everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs
alive.
Thank you!

Judith Ruderman
Vice Provost for Academic and Administrative Services 220 Allen, Box
90005, Duke University
(919) 684-3296 (phone) (919) 684-4421 (fax)

Not only is it current, is it legit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 972 • Replies: 10
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:39 pm
Yes it is legit and I fully expect to get my 1.12 cents mailed to me by the Treasury.

If I want to contribute to the Arts or PBS, I'll write my own check.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:45 pm
E-mail petitions are basically useless. People and groups do print them out and send them to thier congressional reps but they usually get tossed fairly quickly from there.

Thiis one claims that the names are "being managed" but how are they going to do that? I have at least 5 e-mail addresses. If I send it from different addys they have absolutely no way of knowing it's the same person.

The politicans know this as well as that a portion of the people that forward these things don't vote to begin with and non-voters are laughed at in D.C.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:55 pm
I'll add here that I don't know when this e-mail petition wa sstarted but it would seem that the events of June 23rd have made it irrelevant.

A Congressional amendment was passed on the 23rd to restore the proposed cut to NPR/PBS. There never was any cut to the NEA so that part of thier story never held water to begin with. NEA funding is scheduled to increase as it has every year since 1996 and there is another bill proposing to add another $10 million to their budget after the already approved increases.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
I wouldn't give 10 cents to keep NPR alive.

If they can't compete in todays market, they shouldn't exist.

I have no problem spending money on something like the NEA, because at least we get some art for that money. (I don't always understand or like it, but thats a personal thing opinion, not a judgement on the art itself.)

NPR has served its purpose and needs to either find advertisers to support it, or be put to rest with the kerosene lanterns and the steam trains.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:29 pm
Quote:
Public Broadcasters' Tightrope Over Funds

By LORNE MANLY
Published: June 23, 2005

"The Brian Lehrer Show" decided to tackle a topic this week that could hardly be knottier for its radio station, devoting about an hour on Monday to the battle over a possible cut in federal funds for public broadcasters like its own station, WNYC.

About a quarter of the way through the program's coverage, Mr. Lehrer went to a break. On came a promotional spot with Laura Walker, the WNYC president and chief executive, explaining how a bill approved by the House Appropriations Committee could severely cut into the station's annual operating revenue and programming.

When he returned to the show, Mr. Lehrer seemed a bit surprised by the spot that had been broadcast. Chuckling a little, he told listeners, "It's just a coincidence it came up now, actually." Then he turned to the first of two station presidents to discuss how the financing cut could affect their operations - Ms. Walker of WNYC.

That jarring juxtaposition of news programming and self-interested promotion exemplifies the fine line that public broadcasters are walking as they mobilize to combat threats to their financing. It is always a delicate task for a news organization to cover itself. But when the organization in question is financed in part by the government, when the news centers on the prospects for that money and when a station floods its airwaves with spots urging viewers or listeners to contact their Congressional representatives, the undertaking becomes much more challenging.

Public television and radio stations began their outreach efforts to their viewers and listeners last week, after a House subcommittee first approved a measure that would cut funds by about $100 million (25 percent) to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funnels money from Congress to public television and radio. The measure also calls for the elimination of more than $100 million from funds devoted to helping stations convert to digital programming and upgrade satellite technology, as well as the "Ready to Learn" program, which provides money for children's shows like "Clifford the Big Red Dog."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/arts/television/23publ.html

on the NPR site today

Quote:
Proposed Cuts to Public Broadcasting Budget

Last updated: June 24, 2005

We hope the following will answer your questions about public broadcasting funding:
What budget is at stake?

The most significant budget affected is that of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), the organization created by Congress to administer federal funds to help support public radio and television programming, stations, community service, educational projects and technology. Additionally, there is separate, smaller fund for public broadcasting technical projects administered through the Department of Commerce.
What has happened to date?

In early June, in an unanticipated move, a House of Representatives Appropriations subcommittee recommended cutting $190 million from CPB's budget for fiscal year 2006, which begins this coming October. This was subsequently approved by the full House Appropriations Committee.

On June 23, however, when the recommendation came to the floor vote before the full House of Representatives, an amendment to restore $90 million of the cut was introduced by David Obey (D-WI), Jim Leach (R-IA), and Nita Lowey (D-NY). This amendment was voted on and passed with strong bipartisan support: the vote of 284-140 included 87 Republicans and 197 Democrats.
What happens next - and what does this mean now for the public broadcasting budget?

This most recent vote was a major step forward, but restores only half the budget lost through the original subcommittee recommendation. The process to regain the full funding continues as the Senate begins its own review of the budget - commonly referred to as a "mark-up" - beginning July 12.

The Senate will finalize its recommendations in the coming weeks and hopefully will seek to restore the rest of the cuts. When this process is finished, leaders of the House and Senate will meet to negotiate the final budget.
Why is this happening now if the fiscal year 2006 budget was in place?

The Administration has put intense pressure on the Congress to deal with the federal deficit by reducing federal spending, although the House Appropriations Subcommittee and full Committee chose to go beyond the proposed Administration recommendations for public broadcasting cuts.
What does the public think about public broadcasting funding?

According to recent print and electronic media coverage of the CPB budget cut situation, there has been significant public opinion directed to members of Congress encouraging the restoration of full funding for public radio and television.

A 2003 poll taken by CPB showed that Americans strongly support public broadcasting and believe it is worth federal funding. The CPB report determined:

"An overwhelming number of adults in this country (80%) say that they have a favorable impression of PBS and NPR as a whole. Additionally, there are several indicators throughout the survey that demonstrate the extent to which the public values public broadcasting. For example, only 1-in-10 Americans (10%) would say that a per capita expenditure of $1.30 in taxpayer funds is 'too much' for the government to be spending on public broadcasting. Nearly half (48%) say the amount is 'too little' and roughly 1/3 (35%) say the amount is 'about right.'"

http://www.npr.org/about/funding.html
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:47 pm
Pull the cord and let them try and survive on their own like any other radio and TV station out there. Why do they need tax payer money to keep going?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
Looks like you're in that bottom 10% group, Baldimo.
You've got a lot of people to work over.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Looks like you're in that bottom 10% group, Baldimo.
You've got a lot of people to work over.

Who did they ask these questions of? Where they already supporters of NPR and the such? Were these people who even watch PBS or have they just heard of it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
Don't give them a damn thing, Baldimo. Pledge week, ignore them. Mail campaigns, pitch them into the trash. You can do that. Free country.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:49 pm
eoe wrote:
Don't give them a damn thing, Baldimo. Pledge week, ignore them. Mail campaigns, pitch them into the trash. You can do that. Free country.

It isn't free; I still have to pay for it in taxes. It is one of the many things I don't want my tax money to go towards. I can think of a few other things that are more important then public funded radio and "news" channels. Not to mention of crap that is called art. What ever happened the starving artist?
0 Replies