How many planets did Darkseid destroy, and how?

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:37 am
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. According to a little research I did Thanos destroyed 784 planets in the Marvel Universe. I presume he destroyed them all by snapping his fingers with the hand he wears the Infinity Gauntlet on.

Since Thanos is considered to be Darkseid's counterpart in the Marvel Universe how many planets did Darkseid destroy in the DC Universe, and how did he destroy them? Did he use the Anti-Life Equation?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,164 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Darkseid doesn't really destroy planets; he only wants to enslave everyone in the universe under his control, using the Anti-Life Equation.
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Anti-Life_Equation

He was able to do so in the major crossover Final Crisis, when he found the Equation and took over Earth.
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Crisis

Being counterparts in different companies does not mean the characters have the same goals and abilities.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:09 am
@JGoldman10,
What about Galaxus? I always thought he was far more powerful and planet destroyery than Thanos.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
You mean Galactus. What about Brainiac?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
You're right, Galaxus was from something else. That's what comes of posting without checking one's facts first.

Galaxus was a character in Buster comic. Like most British comic characters he appeared as a weekly strip, along with a load of other characters, most stories lasted only one or two pages meaning lots of characters per comic. Generally speaking that's the format of British comics, there's no real character only titles like you have.

https://themagicrobot.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/galaxus.jpg?w=584
As for Brainiac I'm sorry, I don't know the DC canon that well outside of main characters. I always thought Brainiac was a term of abuse. It was also a TV show over here fronted by one of the blokes off top gear. Brainiac, Science abuse, but that's probably not a lot of help.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 03:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Brainiac's usual villainous plans is to:
*go to a planet
*shrink a major city as a sample of the planet
*blows up planet
*repeat.
He did this to collect the knowledge of every planet in the universe. In the process, he has destroyed countless worlds.

He has made attempts to steal Metropolis, but is usually stopped by Superman and the Justice League.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know that. I was asking Izzy if he knew anything about Brainiac and what he thought about the character.

What's the purpose of Brainiac collecting knowledge of certain planets? What does he do with this knowledge and why does he destroy certain planets?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:42 pm
@Rebelofnj,
According to what I read on the Comic Vine forums, Darkseid DID destroy at least one planet, and an entire universe.

Google or Bing "Comic Vine Forums" and "best feats of Darkseid".
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 05:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
Brainiac has a desire to collect all knowledge, and that no one else should have it.

He destroys worlds after he catalogued all he can from the planet. To prevent any new information being made by the planet, he destroys it.

To quote the DC comics website: "For Brainiac, the knowledge he acquires is only valuable if he and he alone possesses it, and no one else."

This is also why he is a major enemy of Superman: because Superman survived Krypton's destruction, Superman has kept Krypton's memory alive on Earth. Brainiac wants that knowledge for himself.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 05:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
I haven't read every major comic appearance of Darkseid, so I don't recall all the times he blew up worlds. He has made numerous attacks on Earth and the world known as New Genesis.

I have read the more recent comics (since 2008) and he is usually depicted as a world conquerer rather than a destroyer. The Final Crisis event and The Darkseid War were the character's most recent stories and both were about him wanting to rule the world and/or universe.

I'm not going to read any forum threads when I have read the relevant comics and I could access the other comics on the DC Universe app.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 05:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What's the purpose of Brainiac keeping a planet's info to himself and then destroying the planet afterwords? That makes no sense.

Does Brainiac see certain planets as threats?

I am trying to make sense of Brainiac's actions and the reasons for them.

What planet did Brainiac come from?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 06:04 pm
@Rebelofnj,
If I posted screenshots or links to screenshots from comics that depict Darkseid destroying any planets and an entire universe, could you tell me what comics they were from?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 06:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
To Brainiac, knowledge is valuable. It becomes even more valuable when the knowledge is limited to fewer people.

By destroying the worlds, he makes sure no new knowledge is being created, ensuring he has collected all knowledge from a world.

"Originally from the planet most frequently named Colu, Brainiac’s artificial mind and body have morphed several times over the decades, but his unquenchable thirst for absolute knowledge, regardless of the billions of innocent lives which might be destroyed in the process, has made him one of the deadliest villains the universe has ever seen."
https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/brainiac/
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 06:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
I probably can identify recent comics, but there is no guarantee. At best, I can identify the artist. If it is an old comic from the 1970s, it is most likely drawn by Jack Kirby.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What does Brainiac do with all the knowledge he collects?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
Since we are talking about cosmic supervillains who destroy things, why does Galactus eat planets?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Brainiac is egocentric. For him, knowledge is power. He wants to keep all the information he collects for himself.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:34 am
@JGoldman10,
Galactus takes the life force from worlds in order to live, and in order for the Marvel universe to continue existing, Galactus must live as his death would create a new Big Bang. Basically, Galactus is a necessary force of the universe.

He normally sends heralds to find planets to consume.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:24 pm
@Rebelofnj,
And do what with it? How does this knowledge benefit him? How does he use the info he collects? Or does he collect info on various planets for the sake of collecting it?

I don't know if this is the right term or not but Brainiac sounds like an obsessive compulsive.

Collecting info on planets for the sake of collecting it makes as much sense as hunting for sport.

Do you understand what I am asking?

Characters, good or bad, have to have a reason for doing what they do. Their motives need to make sense.

The Riddler always leaves clues in the form of riddles for Batman and the Bat Family to solve, like he wants to get caught and thwarted. That makes no sense. That sounds like a big weakness.

Bizarro is a villian in the sense that his thinking is warped and he doesn't realize that he is inadvertently causing more harm than good. In his mind he thinks he is doing the right thing.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:36 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Do the planets the heralds send to Galactus have living beings on them? Do innocent lives get taken because Galactus consumes them along with the planets they are on?

How do the heralds descern and decide what planets to send Galactus?