What do you worship?

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 02:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Cat fleas are the worst. about two years ago they suddenly became immune to the treatment I'd been using.

The one that does work isn't cheaper.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
You must be right, that kitty quickly spread fleas all over the house. I had two dogs and two cats and everyone had to be treated (this time at the vet) and the whole house treated. We took a vacation, boarded the animals and the entire house was fogged or whatever it is they do.. When we got home, one flea jumped up on my son's leg...determined little bugger...fortunately that was the last flea, never had any more.....but now, I do check.....those fleas were a nightmare.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 02:58 pm
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 03:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
The redshirt guy is so annoying...how does one make peace with that?
Glennn

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 06:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
When I was a very young child, I valued nothing specifically. I liked candy. Shortly thereafter I came to value the means to the candy; specifically my mother, the bringer of candy. Shortly thereafter I came to understand the means by which my mother acquired the candy--money. And in no time at all, I came to realize that money was the means to all things desired. And so it was that money became the foundation of my world; survival depends on it. But I was quite ignorant as to who was master and who was servant.

After my stint serving money, I came to value knowledge. The kind of knowledge I valued was the kind that would bring everything together in a meaningful way so that I would know the conclusion. I wanted to be able to wrap my mind around the whole thing. Religion was my first stop. It offered a conclusion--an answer to the question: why. It offered both the beginning and the end. And that conclusion was sweet and simple--no rough edges. God made you; God likes this; God hates that; so do this and don't do that. But that wore off soon enough, and I was off to the next stop.

New Age. Enter the Urantia Book. That was certainly interesting. Next came a book called Seth Speaks. That was certainly interesting. Then a book called A Course in Miracles came to me. That was even more interesting. It has been a long time since then, and I can't help but think that all of these arrivals into my life were constructed in a way that compensated for my hopeless, programed mind. Today I'm pretty sure of it. However, I have to leave room for doubt because as that most articulate man, Eric Weinstein, in the video you've provided has stated, purity is not such a great thing. Everything he's saying is basically what I've come to over the years.

Rather than go on, I'm going to go back and finish the video. I have fifty minutes left. You are right about the red-shirt guy. At about the ten minute mark, I found myself thinking: where's a Klingon when you really need one.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 02:09 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
where's a Klingon when you really need one.

Laughing

The Redshirt guy is a couple of Universes away from ever understanding Eric, I'll give him a C+ for at least honestly trying to...anyway the way he openly spoke about learning guitar to get laid, and other similar precious gems he dropped off during the conversation were cringy and nerve recking too say the least! What I love about Eric is that he kindly tried his best nonetheless!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 08:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
So finally we arrive at the opening question, what is it deep down your personal mode of being that your worship? Are you aware of your own self worshiping? Or do you believe that some of us can do well with nothing to worship about? If so why and how?

I’m a theist, so there’s that.
But along the way I picked up the common idol of Family, probably because I didn’t have one in the usual sense. It took almost sixty two years to break the addiction.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:32 pm
Almost forgot.

BMWs
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 03:04 pm
The Cosmic Muffin.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 04:37 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I was raised a Catholic. At about 30 I began to look about me at all the inequities about me and lost faith in religion, politics, government, and people in general. At the age of 84 I worship nothing. I had a southern baptist aunt tell me I was going to hell because I was catholic. If there is a hell i guess she was correct.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 01:39 am
@RABEL222,
Well, at least for a while for me teaching I guess, for those who did it spontaneously, it was worth worshiping!
Natural teachers, not necessarily those in school, just the sort of people that share their knowledge kindly, not just with their peers who do understand them easily, but that are eager to teach less bright people too, those who want to engage with Humanity and don't let go, aren't they worth a little bit of "worshiping"?
Personally I have veneration or a sort of reverence for natural teachers as they really want to improve the World.

Now the big Metaphysical problem for me is what to teach that is true and it's not ugly... No one should teach the road to madness out of kindness.
Over the years I have come to lose a sense of meaning for us the Sapiens species, not in the Religious sense mind you, but just at large, I am at a loss in our place in Reality...so I have nothing to teach now but white lies and some trivial facts about Nature...
I don't truly try to teach anymore. I am proud nonetheless I never lectured others since I was a child, (although I did lecture presumptuous people) I use to explain how to make something work when others were in trouble. And I was very happy doing that at the time.

Probably some of the A2K'ers around will get mad at me for saying what I am about to say, but honestly, the question for me now is WHAT and HOW MUCH should one teach...how big is the glass that one should fill?
An infinite glass has no purpose...

I guess I have yet to learn pragmatism myself, I was never a pragmatic person
and that is perhaps my biggest flaw in life.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 02:10 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
For those who did miss the point let me ask you:

1 - Should one teach aggressive marketing techniques, advertising, and mass manipulation? How to make fake news?
2 - Should one teach how love can be weaponized?
3 - Should one teach Shun Tzu or the Prince?
4 - Should one teach how to make a bomb or a gun?
5 - Should people learn to be sharks or should people learn to be grasers?

The easy answer is that people should learn ALL, but there is indeed a thing that is called dangerous knowledge, and I am not sure we can handle it as a species in the long run without devastating everything around. Perhaps devastation is just evolution at work...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 02:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Perhaps a good principle, maxim, ought to be, teach how to "decrease entropy" in the system and not how to raise it...
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Ahhh, come on Fil, Own It.
Me, Izzy and vikorr was just talk'n about this the other day. I just knew I wasn’t the only one living the 'Only sane man in an insane world' scenario. I have no idea how common it is, probably because some bullshit 'humility' thing prevents us from say'n stuff like that.
It is a bitch being an autonomous back patting and/or back stabbing being. But how the **** else are you going to get anywhere? If I were one to make resolutions, I’d tell myself to stop stabbing myself in the back.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:50 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
At the age of 84 I worship nothing.

Come on, we both know that's bullshit. Whatever you value the most is what you worship. I know you have values.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:57 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:

The Cosmic Muffin.

One of the many artifacts of 'Family'.
Something to lure you in.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 07:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You can't understand politics if you haven't read The Prince. The knowledge used to enslave humans can be used to free them, or to keep them free, by allerting them on the trics of the powerful.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 08:11 am
@Olivier5,
Never tempted to worship politics, but Uncle Sam came close in my younger years.
Tribalism is a big thing lately.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 08:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Tribalism is a big thing lately.

Yes, and humanist ideals are being ridiculed.

I'm okay with tribes, as long as they don't ask me to join one. As Brassens once sung, beyond four people we're only a bunch of cunts.

(Le pluriel ne vaut rien à l'homme et sitôt qu'on
Est plus de quatre on est une bande de cons.
)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 11:07 am
@Leadfoot,
The Cosmic Muffin has been around a lot longer than 'Family'.

0 Replies