Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 08:27 pm
Have you ever heard of resignation syndrome? It's an oddball rare affliction that has predominantly hit former Balkan states turned political refugees in Sweden (though it's supposedly can be found in other countries but not to the same extent).

Quote:
Resignation syndrome (also called traumatic withdrawal syndrome or traumatic refusal, in Swedish: Uppgivenhetssyndrom) is a dissociative syndrome that induces a catatonic state, first described in Sweden in the 1990s. The condition affects predominately psychologically traumatized children and adolescents in the midst of a strenuous and lengthy migration process.[1] Young people develop depressive symptoms, become socially withdrawn, and become motionless and speechless as a reaction to stress and hopelessness. In the worst cases, children reject any food or drink and have to be fed by feeding tube.[1] The condition could persist for years.[

I only found out about it because of the Oscar nominated Netflix documentary short, Life Overtakes Me (2019).

A little more context:
Resignation syndrome: Sweden's mystery illness

glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 10:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I haven't heard of that, but I bet we will be learning a lot more as the kidnapped children taken from their parents at the border become more visible.
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 12:02 am
@glitterbag,
Hardly kidnapped. Would you rather we gave each kid a bottle of water and turned them loose in the Mexican desert?

While I am not following this issue closely, my understanding is that the Trump Administration has placed these children in foster families and they are now being raised as Americans. Why would they be expected to suffer any trauma from that?

It was Obama who liked to throw kids in cages.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:40 am
@oralloy,
Why would you say such a repulsive thing. Being raised in foster homes???? It is glaringly obvious (as you admit) you are not following this issue closely. Were you raised in a foster home? These children (who have committed no crimes) are ripped away from their mothers and fathers AND YOU THINK THEY ARE BEING RAISED AS AMERICANS????? You think it's alright that children without an American birth certificate can stay and be safe. That's moronic and cruel....Tell me again what you claim your IQ is........right.
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:52 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Why would you say such a repulsive thing.

What repulsive thing?

glitterbag wrote:
It is glaringly obvious (as you admit) you are not following this issue closely.

Since it is true, I suppose it stands to reason that it might be obvious.

glitterbag wrote:
Were you raised in a foster home?

No.

glitterbag wrote:
YOU THINK THEY ARE BEING RAISED AS AMERICANS?????

I'm not really following all this border nonsense, but it seems like I heard somewhere that the Trump Administration placed these children with American foster families.

glitterbag wrote:
Tell me again what you claim your IQ is........right.

I'm getting pretty tired. But I'll address any follow up posts tomorrow when I wake up.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:10 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I haven't heard of that, but I bet we will be learning a lot more as the kidnapped children taken from their parents at the border become more visible.

Kind of a digression to my thread (not too much appreciated).

AS for my initial thread post? I may have misunderstood a quote from a doctor on the documentary. It seems that Uppgivenhetssyndrom or Resignation Syndrome can basically be found in Sweden (though similar disorders with similar symptoms can be found elsewhere).

Quote:
As of today, Resignation Syndrome has only been observed in Sweden, but symptoms resembling the syndrome have been recorded in other contexts such as Nazi concentration camps in World War II.

Source

But this Buzzfeed article says it can be found in Australia.
Australia's Child Refugees Are Suffering A Rare Psychological Illness Where They Withdraw From The World
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:04 pm
@oralloy,
glitterbag wrote:
YOU THINK THEY ARE BEING RAISED AS AMERICANS?

oralloy wrote:
I'm not really following all this border nonsense...

Yet you think you know what is actually happening?

These children are being separated from their own families, at the border! Arriving in a new place is traumatic enough. Being torn apart from their still living family, is, one step closer to death. Either physical or mental or by abandoning all hope and landing on a road of crime.

Further, placing the children in foster care does not give them citizenship. That involves many other things.

Additionally, the current administration has admitted having screwed up so completely, that they in many cases, have no idea which child belongs to which parent/guardian from whom they were parted.

oralloy wrote:
...when I wake up.

Near as I can tell, you never have! Your alleged IQ, is worthless as it hasn't given you any capacity to care!
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:29 pm
@Sturgis,
TsarStepan sees this tangent as an unwanted intrusion in this thread, so I am posting my reply to your post in the "contemporary events" thread:
https://able2know.org/topic/355218-3987#post-6952255
Sturgis

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
Threads often divert. I found nothing wrong with glitterbag's post (sorry tsarstepan, for me it tied in with your thread).

And I am not going to toss my words on this topic into another thread, unless it truly becomes late breaking news there.
0 Replies