20+ hr ER wait, child's appendix bursts

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm
http://www.thelocal.se/44514/20121119/

Quote:
...."The only treatment he received was morphine and paracetamol tablets so he didn't die from the pain," Jesper, the father of nine-year-old William Strömgren, told the Dagens Nyheter (DN) newspaper.

William arrived at Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital in Stockholm last Thursday after suffering stomach pains for days. He was immediately diagnosed with appendicitis, but then nothing happened.

After having his operation repeatedly pushed back by doctors, William's desperate parents were told by the chief surgeon that an operation would only be possible if it was carried out "the old-fashioned way", rather than using a procedure which resulted in less scarring.

"There was only one overnight operating room to handle all of Stockholm's children," William's father told DN.

"I'm convinced that if we hadn't demanded to speak with the chief surgeon we would have had to wait yet another night."......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,305 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 01:12 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The surgical emergency room at the Astrid Lindgren Children’s Hospital is the only surgical emergency room for children up to the age of 15 in greater Stockholm and, therefore, has a large catchment area.
According to Swedish papers, this problem has been widely known ... and is due to reductions which were done by the conservative-right wing Stockholm municipal council.

The DN [Dagens Nyheter] is not only the largest Swedish morning newspaper, but the one, the oposition [Social Democrats, Green Party, Left Party] uses as it's mouthpiece.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:28 pm
Then again the thing might have been mistranslated, i.e. it could be that some ambulance made by Saab or Volvo took 20+ hours to get the kid to the ER.....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:02 pm
@gungasnake,
No. It seems to be correct. It's the only children hospital with an (one) operating room working at night in Stockholm. That's why the left opposition has brought it up.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If things were so much better prior to this right-wing takeover you imply, why did the Swedish electorate give it up, i.e. what went wrong??
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:15 pm
@gungasnake,
In Stockholm, it changed with the 2006 elections. The new Stockholm County Council (which is one of Europe’s largest healthcare providers and runs that said university hospital) started the changes in 2008, reducing staff etc.

I don't know what went "wrong" there. What I do know (from relatives's experiences) is that healthcare there (= in Stockholm Council region) became worse (here: Södertälje Hospital).
0 Replies