Stockholm incident: Lorry rams people

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 08:10 am
From the BBC, this is still breaking news.

Quote:
A lorry has driven into a store in central Stockholm, killing at least three people, Swedish media say.

Shots have also reportedly been fired.

Swedish police said a number of people were injured, and they are treating it as terrorism.

The incident occurred on Drottninggatan (Queen Street), one of the city's major pedestrian streets, just before 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39531108

saab

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
Sweden is the country, which has taken in most refugees per capita and done a lot for them to feel welcome. Of course mistakes has also been done.
There is no reason for this hate, especially as by an attack like this, probalby
not only white, blond, blueeyed Swedes are hit.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:07 pm
@saab,
It's always innocent people who suffer. It struck a chord over here so soon after the Westminster attack with similar tactics being used.

There's never a good reason for crap like this.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 12:17 am
Sweden already has controls at the borders, but will now have even more.
Of the EU countries, which are allowed to have, border control Sweden checks the most and catches the fewest.
Only 3% of illigal immigrants are caught at the border.
But what does bordercontrol help, when it is a Swedish citizen who did it?
What they really want to catch, are the Swedes or whatever who returns back from IS and want to continue fighting in Sweden.
With border controls a country usually kept its criminals within its border.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:10 am
@saab,
It was a British citizen who committed the Westminster attack. All this stuff about immigrants is nonsense stirred up by racists.
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:30 am
@izzythepush,
It is not only your citizenship - it is your background, your political ideas, your
criminal sides, the hate to people differnt than you are.
In the case from Stockholm the man, who got arrested, is from Uzbekistan and sympazises with IS.
What he was doing in Sweden- no idea.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:33 am
@saab,
The Westminster guy was a petty criminal with an axe to grind, Jihadi violence was a useful vehicle. I bet the Uzbeki the custody has a similar background in petty crime. (Although that's just me speculating.)
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:01 am
@izzythepush,
The Swedish police never say too much, when a criminal is not a Swede.
This guy according to the news I just heard is married and has four children and a steady job and never talks about politics and religion.
That does not mean a thing - you learn when you can say things and not.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:18 am
@saab,
Our police are similar, releasing too much information can jeopardise the trial.
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:46 am
@izzythepush,
Police work is one thing.
Political Correctness something else.
If the police is looking for a Swede, he will be described by how he looks. How tall, hair colour etc. and what dialect.
If it a non Swede especially from outside of Europe. Dark hair / black hair is ok and brown eyes and how tall. But skin colour, bad Swedish or with an accent
was no no. It is slowly changing.
I think it is a fair deal that anybody the police is looking for can be described the way he or she looks like. It is simply equality.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:11 am
@saab,
Well yes, but don't they have him? And I saw his photo on the BBC website before he was apprehended.
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
As far as I have understood the man on the picture is not the guy.
The man from Uzbekistan looks like him. It looks like the right man was caught
thanks to brave Swedes or what ever, who followed the driver of the truck as he tried to escape and then got in contact with the police.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:40 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
thanks to brave Swedes or what ever, who followed the driver of the truck as he tried to escape and then got in contact with the police.

Agreed
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:14 pm
@izzythepush,
The police have got six more Uzbekistans, who might have been involved too in the Stockholm incident.
We have to wait for the result.
To my great suprise I just read that there is a relative big and well organized group of Uzbekian islamistic extreems in Sweden
en relativt stor och välorganiserad grupp av uzbekiska islamistiska extremister i Sverige. –
saab

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:11 am
@saab,
Today is Palm Sunday - a very important day in the Coptic Church - like Christmas Eve for us.
About 36 people died in Egypten when two different churches were blown up and at least 60 injured.
Who was behind is not clear.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 10:39 am
@saab,
I used to have a friend who was Coptic, though not from Egypt - Eritrea instead. I wonder how the Coptics are doing there..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 11:33 am
More details, Briton who died in attack named. (BBC website, so British orientated.)

Quote:
Stockholm police said the suspected attacker, arrested later on Friday, had previously been sought by authorities for deportation.

He had sought residency in Sweden in 2014, but his application was rejected last year. He had expressed support for extremist organisations including the Islamic State group, police said.

While he was known to security services, he was seen only as a "marginal character", Sweden's National Police Commissioner Dan Eliasson added.
Meanwhile, a second suspect has been placed under formal arrest.

Reuters news agency said it was on "a lower degree of suspicion" than the first suspect.

Police have interviewed more than 500 people over the incident, Sweden's TT news agency reports.

Thousands of people have gathered in a square in central Stockholm on Sunday for a vigil against terrorism.
A British man killed in the Stockholm lorry attack has been named as 41-year-old Chris Bevington.

Two Swedes and one Belgian also died in the attack on Friday, when a hijacked lorry was driven into a store.

His family said they were devastated by the "untimely and tragic death" of the "wonderful husband, son, father, brother and close friend to many".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39544482
saab

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 11:43 am
In Norway a 17 year old Russian, who lives with his asyl seeking family
got caught with a home made bomb.
There was also a bomb in the truck in Stockholm.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 08:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Thousands of people have gathered in a square in central Stockholm on Sunday for a vigil against terrorism.

They chanted, USA stop your terrorism, UK stop your terrorism, ...
saab

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 09:52 pm
@camlok,
Would you please provide a video with that chanting?

The 9th of April Manifeestation against terrorism.
It was a peaceful manifestation on Sergel´s Square with just one message:
Love and care! No political points, nothing but pure charitable. Bring with you candles and positiv statements, hold hands and show the world whom we are and what our values are

The 21st of January there was a anti-Trump demostration also on Sergel´s Square. There they might have chanted. But not in connection with the terror attack.