American English Vs. British English

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:06 am
Being an Australian, I use Australian English, which basically is British English with a few uniquely Australian words. I personally prefer British English. What do you Americans have to say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 739 • Replies: 8
No top replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:07 am
I'm Australian myself and in my opinion TV Lover, I think that the Aust english and UK english are far far different in terms of accent.

as for personal preference - I am all for the original UK english. A man could woo me with a UK accent alone. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:37 pm
TV lover, welcome, and I noticed that you didn't include cockney. Really doesn't matter to me as long as I can understand what a person is saying.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:42 pm
Canadian english is a mix between the two, almost American though.

Colourful... eh?

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that South African English sounds really different?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:46 pm
Actually, American is almost Canadian, eh Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:01 pm
Ive noticed that simple sentences , said in Manchester English are really funny.

Like at a dinner with some colleagues , (most of whom were UK or Scottish---PS NOBODY UNDERSTOOD THE SCOTS < THEY WOULD TALK AND WED ALL SORT OF JUST STOP FOR A FEW SECONDS, NOD, AND THEN GO ON LIKE THEY NEVER SAID ANYTHING, )
Anyway, back to dinner, We got talking about cooking hedgehogs and one fellow, full of Whatneys Red Barrel said

"<<URP>> Do you not eviscerate the hedgehog before cooking him?"
Now if an American would say that , itd sound sorta pretentious, when the Englishman said it, it was funny and we all waited for an answer.
English can give you directions to a town over a cell phone and it would be quite funny.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:05 pm
whenever I read a post by Lord Ellpus, I always play it in my mind in his proper patrician dialect. Im in stitches, the combination of the accent, the references , and his mastery of the bleedin obvious is enjoyable.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:17 pm
farmerman wrote:
whenever I read a post by Lord Ellpus, I always play it in my mind in his proper patrician dialect. Im in stitches, the combination of the accent, the references , and his mastery fo the bleedin obvious is enjoyable.

My sentiments exactly.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:23 pm
East Virginia and deep South accents are quite different, too, as are Yankees vs. Georgia.

Here in Florida, there are so many different cultures, that one never pays attention to any accents. To me, they are all delightful, even when I can't understand what they're saying.
0 Replies