3
   

Women Are Not Trash...Women Are NOT Disposable

 
 
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 05:48 am
@neptuneblue,
I argue that facts are more important than political ideology. That means that if you present facts... I accept them.

I don't understand how your copy and paste is relevant to the discussion. We all agree that women are more often victims of domestic violence and sexual violence then men. But, this is a thread about violence in general.

These are facts that are well established. Women are more likely to be a victim of sexual violence. Men are more likely to be murdered. They are both true.

neptuneblue
 
  3  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 05:52 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
But, this is a thread about violence in general.


I disagree. The OP's header unequivocally proves this is a thread about violence against women.
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 05:53 am
@neptuneblue,
Take that up with Glitterbag.

If you make claims that there is violence against women -- that's factually correct, but not helpful in understanding the issue without context.

If you make claims that violence against women is increasing-- that's politically correct, but it is not factual.

If you make claims that there is more violence against women then there is against men -- that is simply incorrect.

When you say that there is more sexual violence and domestic violence against women than there are against men, and that we should take fact-based approaches to address this as a serious problem -- then I agree with you and facts back you up too.

Facts matter.
neptuneblue
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:02 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You are lying, Neptune. And again, the fact that you want there to be more violence against women explains everything.


Women are disproportionately affected by IPV, SV, and stalking.

• Nearly 1 in 5 women (19.3%) and 1 in 59 men (1.7%) have been raped in their lifetime.

• Approximately 1.9 million women were raped during the year preceding the survey.

• One in 4 women (22.3%) have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner, while 1 in 7 men (14.0%) have experienced the same.

• One in 6 women (15.2%) have been stalked during their lifetime, compared to 1 in 19 men (5.7%).

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs-fact-sheet-2014.pdf

Yes, facts DO matter.
maxdancona
 
  0  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:07 am
@neptuneblue,
Ok. My point is that facts matter as facts whether or not they support any particular political ideology.

I accept facts even when they don't fit my ideology (and I can give several examples of this). Hopefully you do too.
neptuneblue
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

glitterbag wrote:
The sentence you are nit-picking is gender neutral.


You said violence is increasing. The facts say it is decreasing. You were factually wrong.

That is hardly nit picking. Facts matter. Violence against women, and violence in general, are both going down. I would hope this good news makes you happy.


Rachel E. Morgan, Ph.D., Barbara A. Oudekerk, Ph.D., BJS Statisticians

September 10, 2019 NCJ 253043

This report is the 46th in a series that began in 1973. It provides official estimates of criminal victimizations reported and not reported to police from BJS's National Crime Victimization Survey. It describes the characteristics of crimes, victims, and offenders.

Highlights:

The number of violent-crime victims age 12 or older rose from 2.7 million in 2015 to 3.3 million in 2018, an increase of 604,000 victims.

The portion of white persons age 12 or older who were victims of violent crime increased from 0.96% in 2015 to 1.19% in 2018 (up 24%), while the portion of males who were victims increased from 0.94% to 1.21% (up 29%).

The rate of violent victimizations not reported to police rose from 9.5 per 1,000 persons age 12 or older in 2015 to 12.9 per 1,000 in 2018, while the rate of violent victimizations reported to police showed no statistically significant change.

The number of violent incidents increased from 5.2 million in 2017 to 6.0 million in 2018.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6686
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:19 am
@neptuneblue,
This is silly Neptune. You are Googling for just the facts that seem to support your political ideology. You are here to win an argument, rather than to reach an understanding of what the facts actually say.

I accept what you just posted as factually correct, and from a reputable source.

I don't know what point you are trying to make, if you looked at the data from each year out of the last 10 years (as I already posted) you will see that this is a pretty small uptick while the general trend is down.

I am not going to argue with you over the facts. When you are right you are right. In 2018 there was a slight increase in violence.

It is also true that the violence has decreased a huge amount over the past 25 years and that (even with the slight increase last year) we are at historic lows.

If you are looking to argue for arguments sake, I will get bored quickly.
neptuneblue
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:31 am
@maxdancona,
You're free to leave the thread any time you want. It's not like you'll change your mind about any facts regarding violence against women.
maxdancona
 
  0  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:32 am
@neptuneblue,
I agree with you regarding violence against women.

Why do you want me to change my mind? Are you just looking for an argument for argument's sake?
neptuneblue
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

In all serious I think that outrage feminists have a problem with facts that contradict their narrative even when it is good news. Neptune and Glitterbag should be happy that violence is going down rather than sticking their heads in the sand.

I guess good news isn't appreciated by people who live in a continual state of entitled outrage.


Again, Max, you disregard the seriousness of the facts showing violence in general and violence against women, statistically, has not decreased as your data is outdated.
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 06:52 am
@neptuneblue,
OK good. Now you have made a statement that I can disagree with. The question is not well posed (we need a clear way to get a definitive answer).

I propose the following.

1. We look at the BJS statistics from 2018, 2013, 2008, 2003, 1998.

2. For each year, we will look at the "rate of violent victimization" for women. This is the number of women that were victims of violent crime per 1000 women.

3. We then look at these numbers as the general trend.

4. I know for a fact (but we can confirm it anyway) that rate of crime against women against was significantly lower in 2018 then it was in 1998.

5. I am pretty confident (but I haven't looked at these data) that each of these measurements will be lower in each of these five year periods (i.e. 2018 will be lower than 2013 and 2013 will be lower than 2008).

If #4 and #5 are correct, will you admit that I am right?

If they are wrong, I will openly admit it (and will be glad to have learned something new).


0 Replies
 
Sturgis
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2019 05:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am going to ignore...


The first rule of ignoring is to not respond to the person and post you claim to be ignoring!
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2019 02:15 am
@Sturgis,
That's doesn't work if you're into empty grandiose displays.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

The end of men - Discussion by FreeDuck
Are women a minority? - Discussion by DrewDad
Do Women Sexualize Themselves? - Question by lizaveta
Name the most dangerous woman in the United States - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
Are Women free of Converture laws today? - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
Why are some women attracted to bad men? - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
What can women do better than men? - Question by Robert Gentel
Women through the Ages - Discussion by George
50 Great Things About Women Over 50 - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/15/2021 at 12:00:52