Why All The Budget Cutting and Slashing? Show Me The $$$

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
This week we've dealt with slashing funds for public broadcasting.

The House Appropriations Committee gave initial approval to a spending bill that includes $1B in cuts to HHS and Labor Department, nd yet another cut in funding for Medicare. (Source)

The Education Department; a nutrition program for women, infants and children; Head Start; and homeownership, job-training, medical research and science programs all face cuts in 2006.

The administration and Congress are preparing to take back $125 million previously appropriated to aid workers who suffered disabling injuries in the rescue and recovery operation at the World Trade Center site.

Last Thursday, the House Appropriations Committee beat back by a vote of 35 to 28 an attempt by legislators from New York to pass an amendment that would have left the funding in place. (Source)

Even our soldiers and veterans are being squeezed. (One Reference)

So, my question is this: Why is practicaly everything BUT Defense being cut? What happened to all the corporate tax breaks that promised more tax revenue? What happened to the growing economy and job market that was to generate tax revenue?

Why is funding STILL being cut for critical programs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 611 • Replies: 11
No top replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:19 pm
Two answers:

Privitization of everything and 300 billion spent in Iraq.

TTF
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
Skinney doesn't know that the cutting and slashing won't last. The Democrats cry that the deficit is crippling this country and demand that it be lowered. However, hyopcrites like Barack Obama moan that the "military facilities" in Illinois are essential to the maintainance of a strong America.

Baloney--Obama is just the same as most other Democratic hypocrites. He calls for deficit reduction but says it can't be reduced in Illinois.

The think factory also shows his depth of understanding with regard to Economics. He moans about 300 Billion. I am sure that he does not realize that 300 Billion is slightly less than 3% of our GDP which stands at around 11,000,000,000,000. He is also not aware that the deficit in the last year of World War II was LARGER than the total GDP for that year.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
Ya got a problem with your "Q" key, Massagatto? Or are you breakng the rules by calling names?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
http://www.cbpp.org/6-4-03tax.htm

BUSH TAX CUTS TO SEND REVENUES, AS A SHARE OF GDP, TO LOWEST LEVEL SINCE 1959...

And that was 2003. Will have to see if 2004 improves or not, but doesn't seem likely given more tax cuts since then.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:37 pm
Names? Oh,yes, sQuinney. I am sorry. You will have to forgive me. I once knew of a lady named Skinney who was married to a moron from North Carolina. I regret the error.

But back to business, Squinney. Are you aware that one of the reasons that the revenues AS A SHARE OF GDP may be low BECAUSE THE GDP IS GROWING SO FAST? The GDP is now at Eleven Trillion dollars.

Are you also aware that the government's ability to finance its debt is tied to the size and strength of the economy?

If we had a GDP of 22Trillion instead of 11 Trillion, the tax revenues would be ever lower as a share of GDP.

There are many good books on Economics, Squinney. I sugges Dr, Thomas Sowell's "Basic Economics" as a good place to start.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:51 pm
Seen it a hundred times, Squinney. They slash budgets, tighten our belts for us, and when we ask, it's the same old story. "It would have been so much worse, if we hadn't acted quickly."
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:05 pm
You may be right, Roger. On the other hand, you may not be right.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:57 am
House Approves Cuts

Quote:

$806 MILLION CUT to No Child Left Behind? Sounds like they are not just leaving children behind, but slamming the bus door in their faces.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:23 am
chiczaira wrote:
Skinney doesn't know that the cutting and slashing won't last. The Democrats cry that the deficit is crippling this country and demand that it be lowered. However, hyopcrites like Barack Obama moan that the "military facilities" in Illinois are essential to the maintainance of a strong America.

Baloney--Obama is just the same as most other Democratic hypocrites. He calls for deficit reduction but says it can't be reduced in Illinois.

The think factory also shows his depth of understanding with regard to Economics. He moans about 300 Billion. I am sure that he does not realize that 300 Billion is slightly less than 3% of our GDP which stands at around 11,000,000,000,000. He is also not aware that the deficit in the last year of World War II was LARGER than the total GDP for that year.
So.. Chic.. Which cereal box do you get your information from?

According to the US budget tables located at the OMB website
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf

Table 1.2 would be the relevant one.

US GDP in 1944 and 1945 was 209 and 211 billion Total expenditures by the Fed govt in those 2 years as % of GDP was 43.6 and 41.9. The deficits were not even close to being larger than the GDP for those years.The expenditures didn't even equal 50%. The deficits as % of GDP for those 2 years were 22.7 and 21.5. 1943 had a larger deficit as % of GDP and that was 30.1.

Then you compare the deficits from those years to the spending in Iraq alone. A rather silly comparison since it ignores all the other deficit spending in US today. US deficit spending in 2005 was 3.5% of a $12.227 trillion economy.

It looks like you didn't get a single number right Chic. But what else is new?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
And lets not forget how we are shortchanging our veterans

Veterans Affairs needs $1B for health care
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
Just read about that Parados.

Guess the administration doesn't support our troops, despite what they say from the other side of their mouth.

Still wondering what happened to all of the revenue and job creation that was supposed to be generated by the corporate tax breaks.

Is there a chance that "trickle down" means "tinkled on?"
0 Replies