ACK! Can't Leave My House!

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:47 am
So when I first moved in, I thought the flock of geese living at the complex were cute. Oh how I wished they would come and hang out by my house with their babies. HA! This morning, all 35 of them decided to eat out at my place and they trapped my on my porch! The babies, of course, didn't mind me being there and wanting to get to my car but the adults hissed at me! And even when the others moved on down a bit, one of the adults stood in front of my porch and "kept guard" so I couldn't leave. Now, my question is this...how do I get them to go away when I need to leave? I don't mind them there any other time but when they keep me from going to work it gets a little annoying. Help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,878 • Replies: 48
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:53 am
Bella Dea

Admit it: You are in the wars!

Gastric ailment & ferocious geese .... Simultaneously, apparently! Shocked
I've lost track, but wasn't the ANT problem yours, too? If so, what can I say?: You are a Marked Woman, Bella Dea! Beware, beware! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:54 am
Yes, the ants came after me too....I am a wildlife magnet!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:54 am
If you don't react, they will make it their territory. I am assuming these are Canada Geese, as they are the burgeoning problem in residential neighborhoods. Contact the local (probably municipal) animal control agency immediately ! ! !
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:56 am
I don't want anyone to hurt them though....Yes they are Canadian Geese.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:59 am
I doubt that the animal control people will attempt to kill them, i was thinking in terms of ways to keep them away. They are very aggressive and very ill-tempered. You should do something right away.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Looks that way, my dear! Maybe wildlife likes you? Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
Setanta wrote:
I doubt that the animal control people will attempt to kill them, i was thinking in terms of ways to keep them away. They are very aggressive and very ill-tempered.

I know, which is why I was afraid. I know that they will chase me.

The complex I live in put down grass seed around our townhome so that's why they have come over to me now..they've discovered a buffet! How would they keep them away?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:01 am
msolga wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I love animals...but not the ones that will chase me down and peck me to death. Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
When you walk out of your home, carry a sheet or blanket with you . Hold it up in front of you as you walk. They will turn thier attention to it since it is shorter then you are . Let them try to peck it as you hold it far enough away from you that you are safe, and make your way to your car .

Slam some pot tops together. Large noises SOMETIMES scare those boogers away.

Or, get a cat.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
Bella Dea wrote:
msolga wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I love animals...but not the ones that will chase me down and peck me to death. Shocked

Oh, I can understand this! Maybe some sort of exorcism is necessary? Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
Canada Geese have become a real problem in North America. If my sweetiepie shows up, perhaps she'll have some ideas. She hates 'em.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:08 am
Setanta wrote:
Canada Geese have become a real problem in North America. If my sweetiepie shows up, perhaps she'll have some ideas. She hates 'em.

They are a sort of bird vermin, Setanta? Interesting ....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:09 am
Get a dog - one of those bird dogs - they will chase those geese away.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:10 am
I can't have a dog....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
msolga wrote:
They are a sort of bird vermin, Setanta? Interesting ....

That is what they are becoming. The adults are the size of domestic geese, and can be quite intimidating.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:13 am
I assume they live in the wild? How come they're moving in on Bella Dea's home?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
Just as has the racoon and the coyote, the Canada goose has learned to exploit the human environment. I once worked at a shopping center where an old lady would buy the discounted day-old doughnuts and throw them out in the parking lot for the birds. In no time at all, the gulls from Lake Erie who winter here and the Canada geese were fighting over them, and Animal Control had to be brought in to rid the place of agressive birds.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:17 am
Does spraying water at them work?
from a garden hose ?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
Setanta wrote:
Just as has the racoon and the coyote, the Canada goose has learned to exploit the human environment. I once worked at a shopping center where an old lady would buy the discounted day-old doughnuts and throw them out in the parking lot for the birds. In no time at all, the gulls from Lake Erie who winter here and the Canada geese were fighting over them, and Animal Control had to be brought in to rid the place of agressive birds.

Could it be that their own environment has been encroached on by humans & development??
0 Replies