ACK! Can't Leave My House!

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
msolga wrote:
I assume they live in the wild? How come they're moving in on Bella Dea's home?

Someone is feeding them. As soon as I walked out they came at me doing the "feed me" routine. Then when I tried to leave (and came closer without food) that's when the adults started hissing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:24 am
Better call the Council, hey, Bella Dea? I've got this feeling they're not going to leave of their own accord!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
msolga wrote:
Could it be that their own environment has been encroached on by humans & development??

No . . . just like the racoon and the coyote, they have left their natural haunts to take advantage of what is offered in human habitations--waste food, ornamental ponds--hell, traffic stops and backs up for miles on the roads here as goose, gander and gaggle of goslings sedately stroll across the road. They've got us figured out pretty well.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
I like the image if miles of traffic lined up to allow the feathered family to cross the road, Setanta. ...as they slowly navigate their way toward the next fix of McDonalds or KFC .... (What next: obese geese?) Laughing But it looks like these critters are becoming quite aggressive & taking over! At Bella's place, anyway!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:37 pm
You have a little problem with territorial rights.

Unfortunately, geese don't understand "share"--except for goose droppings.

Shewolf has the right idea. Be bigger, noisier and more visibly vicious than any honking, hissing goose.

Have you asked your homeowners association (the no-dogs people) for help?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:36 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Have you asked your homeowners association (the no-dogs people) for help?

Noddy took the question right out of my mouth as I was reading this thread.

We have quite the population of Canada geese in a nearby large park with a lake. They can be a big nuisance. Never mind all the droppings that they leave. Quite the health hazard and terribly messy to walk around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:49 pm
I've been thwarted by one goose not letting me by, but, eek, not thirty. I was wearing shorts that day, and it kept biting my knees. At the time I was laughing and not scared. I didn't want to hit it... eventually ran around it.

Here in north north, the canadian geese stop at the Humboldt Bay marsh areas and I haven't seen them line up at McDonald's... yet.

Their pecks can hurt. At least don't wear shorts as you charge toward your car while banging pot lids (hah, pot lids). I'd call your complex office too...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:26 pm
Run at them, flapping an umbrella (open, close, open, close.....Mary Poppins on Redbull).....that should scare the buggers!

If not, have a slice of bread handy. Show it to the boss Goose, and then frisbee it away into the distance, as long as it is not in the direction of the car......AND RUN LIKE HELL!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:30 pm
Good grief, Girl... you do have the wildlife problems. I'll be real interested to hear how this one turns out. Meanwhile, even if it isn't raining, I'd be carrying an umbrella. Adequately wielded and opened quickly to scare them ought to definitely help. Worse comes to worse, just bash one or two with it! (Though be careful, these critters are apparently protected by Federal law! see this website: The Geese are back on Campus!)

I've been mobbed by geese but never felt truly threatened so I can't speak from experience except that loud noises and looking big always seem to make them more wary.

A capgun might do the trick, too, or some of those Fireworks "Pops" that explode when you throw them on the sidewalk. We have an "AirZooka" purchased from the Edmund Scientific catalog which makes a creepy noise and also sends out a large puff of air which I would try if this were happening to me. It definitely alarms the dogs, the horse and annoying squirrels. It's a little difficult to get on target, but once you've got it aimed properly... well, it makes every animal I know try to find someplace else to be. It doesn't hurt them, but they just find the invisible puff of air disconcerting -- sort of like you've reached over and patted 'em.

Here's a photo -- the thing costs about $15.
http://scientificsonline.com/images/250/30{}30604-66A.eps.JPG

I see that Edmund Scientific now has a mega-zooka for an additional ten dollars that looks even more effective:

Quote:
From the makers of the original AirZooka, the all new MegaZooka! The newest "fun gun" that blows a harmless mega-ball of air towards any object or person!

The MegaZooka is SUPER-SIZED and can be used in two ways: the all new single air blast trigger action which allows you to cock your MegaZooka in position while waiting for the air assault to begin or the semi-automatic pull power action! Either way, it really blows 'em away!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes next week.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:58 pm
Well? How's it going? Did you try the umbrella?

I liked Lord Ellpus's idea of using a bread decoy, though I might opt for a bun instead 'cause you could toss it further.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:36 am
Actually, I haven't seen them in a while. There is crap all over my sidewalk so I know they are there, but I must be missing them. If I do see them, I will definitly try the umbrella or bread tricks and let you know! Thanks everyone. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:26 am
They are back! But the babies aren't babies anymore so we can actually look at them without them freaking out. Here is one of my geese friends...he was just standing there staring at me so I snapped his picture.

http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/5933/goosefriend5oa.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:27 am
And these are his friends!

http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/6117/geesefriends9sp.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Your good neighbor policy paid off--in part because the geese aren't computer savvy and their grasp of the English language is limited.

Share your dominion.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:40 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Your good neighbor policy paid off--in part because the geese aren't computer savvy and their grasp of the English language is limited.

Share your dominion.

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:49 pm
Those are sturdy looking geese, all right.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
I'd just say shoot them but they are protected as migratory waterfowl (foul). Fricking things are pests plain and simple. A cat won't help, but even a small dog will chase them.

The real solution is to promote goose as a cheap, easy to find/kill, renewable protein source.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
Not too small a dog.

A lot of those geese are over 25 pounds and think nothing of attacking dogs that are comparatively defenseless. Now, a nice lil Jack Russell or Border Collie would be good to have to nip and herd those feathered buggers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm
In my experience geese will run from anything that barks with teeth. Even little tiny rat dogs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:31 pm
If you have access, try this. Shoot/spray them with a hose.
0 Replies