Tate Modern

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Im going (in theory)to the Tate Modern this saturday, a place ive wanted ot go to for a while, plus its right by The Globe theatre which I think would be fantastic to see.
They are showing a Frida Kahlo exhibition which I hope il get to see.

Has anybody been to the Tate?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,943 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:26 am
Two years ago. The Tate Modern's floor plan is very good, so you shouldn't have any problems with the logistics and ability to see everything there. The Tate cafetaria is a bit small, but with a good view of the river. After you're done with the Tate and Globe, you can walk across the Thames on the pedestrian bridge that takes you to St Paul's cathedral - another place worth visiting. Go to the museum downstairs.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:49 am
Ooh,I will do, all depending on how my feet cope with all that walking(I like walking but havnt done much since i got an office job).
I didnt know there was a museum under the Cathedral!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:03 am
mg, I called it a "museum" but I'm actually talking about the crypt. Nelson and Wren are both entombed there, but most people miss it by not visiting the crypt. I personally think it's significant for Brits and historians that knows anything about these two men. It also has a model of St Paul's that Wren made before he designed what became the final design. I think it would be a shame if you were that close and missed visiting. http://www.stpauls.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerID=23158U6K6iuafSNehqCL1qduCuzYGTGQ
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:55 am
I will if i can, its all up to my tired little feet.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:08 am
As I recall (having visited nearly 30 years ago) there is a "whispering
gallery" on the inside of the dome of St. Paul's and a balcony of sorts on
the outside. I remember coming back inside and seeing a sign directing
one to the stairway. It said "Way Down", underneath which someone had added "upon the Swannee River".
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
We are sooooo wacky over here.

Yep, I saw the whispering gallery on TV years ago when I was a kid.

Id like to visit London more often.Ive noticed there are a couple more museums in the areaa and a boat that goes from there to the london eye so may be a nice thing to do when I go on another trip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
I'm not sure whether any boats stop by the London Eye, but there are piers close to Parliament that has boat tours. I took the one that goes to Greenwich on my last visit to London.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:04 pm
If you are interested in seeing some contemporary art at the high end of the market, be sure to visit the galleries in Cork street and the parallel streets (through Burlington Arcade, which is next to the Royal Academy)

There is usually some really good work on show (for sale there of course as these are the commercial galleries - quite handy if you have the odd £28,000 or so to spare :wink: ), Whenever I go down for a big show at one of the public galleries I usually try to get to the Cork street area as well.

If you google Cork Street and galleries you'd be able to find out what's showing. The Messum gallery is one of my favourites.

Back to the Tate - I loved the Rothko's but was a little disappointed in a lot of the work as a lot is from an era of British art that I don't much relate to. Special exhibitions (like the Kahlo) can be great but I haven't been to see that so can't comment on it.

The private galleries have a booklet that you can pick up with maps and details of work showing at hundreds of galleries in London - really useful and free.

when I went to the Tate last the nice new bridge was in use (it hadn't been for a while because it swayed if too many people were on it at once if you remember! ) but they hadn't put lights on it for shipping and so because of an ancient bylaw with its height there were bundles of hay suspended at intervals, hanging down over the river to warn them! very high tech

have fun Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:39 pm
Wear comfy shoes.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:41 pm
Hey, Vivien, if I ever make it to London, I'll try to email, post, or call ahead and with any luck we could meet on Cork Street and you could show me around.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 03:50 am
Very Happy that would be fun
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:07 am
I didn't mean to leave Material Girl out of the Cork Street Walk..

Ah, well, it was fantasy anyway.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:55 am
keep buying a lottery ticket!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:14 am
Id like a nice lottery win, I can only dream.

Im one step closer to the Tate.
I got the train times the other day and today my brother said he can take me to the station.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 02:39 am
I went to London on Saturday!!Here is my report.

I got the train at 11.26, after over an hour and 12 stops later I was at Waterloo.
I headed in a direction which I thought would lead me to the river(basically I just followed everybody else)and luckily it took me to the river so I briskly walked along in the direction of the Tate.Suddenly I saw the huge tower and there it was this huuuge building!
I went in, queued up for Frida Kahlo tickets which were a very reasonable £10.
It was quite busy so annoyingly I couldnt get up close to the paintings, if I got the chance I felt like I was in the way of other people.I went from thinking she was a good painter to thinking she was rubbish to thinking she was great, she is very good at still life, flowers/animals etc, some of the pictures were heartbreaking as they expressed the pain she suffered from a miscarriage and an accident she had leaving her back broken in 3 places.

Also went to look at some modern art which I thought was pants.Saw some Monets and Dalis which were much better.

Then went next door and saw The new Globe but didnt go in, then went to find the original site of the Globe.Not much could be seen as it was cobbled over but the circular direction of the cobbles showed where it was and there were some information panels there to read.

Then I went wondering down some alleys and saw The Clink museum which was an underground prison which dated back to the 1200's, it had stock, chastity belt and ball and chain.It was very spooky and cramped and would have driven anybody mad!!

After that I went on a short boat trip from outside the Tate Modern(boat service goes from Tate modern to London eye to the original tate museum)got off at the London eye(which is huuuge) I didnt go on it, there was a queue, and saw the Houses of Parliament.After that I was pooped so I went home.

I wore summer shoes which didnt hurt luckily but my legs still ached on Sunday.
Sorry, didnt make it to St Pauls.

My next adventure is to go see a play at The Globe!!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
went to tate modern today

saw the Frida Kahlo exhibition

could she paint?

not very well imo

some of the still lifes were spectacular but the rest was medicocre
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:41 pm
mg

posted that before reading your post

hope the legs are ok now
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:09 pm
I saw Cornelia Parker's exploded shed at the Tate Modern. It was like being at the centre of the universe. Incredible. See it soon (it's being eaten away by woodworm).
Art in progress.

Peace,
E
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
When I think of Kahlo, I see a dark eyebrowed woman. Any connection?
0 Replies