cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 10:50 am
ehBeth, sure I remember Byron's reviews....very cool! For future reference, my e-mail and phone are public, so its [email protected] and 416-963-9675. Cheers! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 11:04 am
The next project for me is: smoked ham hocks, white beans, mirepoix stuff and some watercress....think I know what I am going to do, but open to suggestions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:08 pm
Staring down the watercress. I only know a few things to do with it, so will have to do some thinking.

soooooo was it too cool to have Byron autograph the book 'to another food god' !? hehehehehehehehehe
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 07:58 pm
ehBeth, that sounds way cool Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:43 pm
K, think I have sussed it out....nix on the watercress, I have free samples of truffle puree in the fridge Very Happy

Gonna make a stock first, from the ham hocks, then use that stock to cook the beans. This way, the hocks won't get bean flavour or bean detrituts on em.

Beans gonna be nice and smoky cooked in that stock...then, the cooked hocks: double-fry for ultimate crispness of the skin, serve on top of the braised beans with a drizzle of truffle vinaigrette around it for a fancy little "pork 'n beans" appetizer Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:03 pm
<thud>

well there sure is a difference between truffle puree and watercress as a possible ingredient!

is there room for me at your sideboard with a large spoon?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
ehBeth, I will let you know how it turns out...will be serving it up as an amuse bouche tomorrow night Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:51 am
I'm a good audience. I can be very amused. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:21 pm
OK, decided to just reheat the pork tonight and served it sans rind with the beans, and the truffle vinaigrette, to which I added just a touch of honey, to add sweetness to the smoke....one of the guests said it was "inspired" Very Happy To quote Hannibal Smith: "I love it when a plan comes together." Apparently, I may be catering the client's wedding now Cool
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:12 am
Help-spaghetti sauce
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:32 pm
What kinda sauce Wilso?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 04:12 pm
Hmm, tonight, it is time to use up that pesto I had in the freezer, and the truffle paste/sauce samples I got from Italy that are just starting to bloom....wanted a chicken, but all sold out. Then a sad little 3-rib pork roast looked at me and said "Please take me home....nobody else will, and you are only cooking for 2". Well, who could resist. I just mixed the pesto with whatever was salvageable from the truffle samples, rubbed it on the outside of the roast, popped on a little coarse sea salt and black pepper, and just roasting now as I type and go through tax receipts....what's cool is that garlic is always the first thing to go aromatic, then the basil, then the truffles...wonder what it will be like when it all amalgamates together?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:22 am
I've got some grilled salmon. Was thinking of putting it in pasta. Any ideas?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:37 am
My first thought is to saute some shallot or onion in olive oil or butter, deglaze with some white wine, reduce, add cream, bring to a boil, turn heat down, let simmer until slightly thickened, stir in the salmon and a handful of finely cut chives at the last minute, just to warm through. Season with salt and white pepper and top your pasta with it.

If you are not fond of cream, I might suggest cooking and cooling a bit of cool looking small pastas, mix with lots of fresh greens, the salmon and a sprightly vinaigrette, like raspberry, or a fruity red wine vinaigrette.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:44 am
Yes! I was thinking of something creamy. Would you think something like penne would be a good choice for the pasta?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:31 am
Thank you Cav. Made it last night and it was great. One thing though as I was cooking, I realized I bought 1/2&1/2 by mistake instead of cream. Used it and it tasted fine. Can't wait to try it with cream next time!

My husband thanks you too!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 10:59 am
Thank you fealola, for reviving this thread! You will love it with cream!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:01 am
This thread is such a great idea! I get bored with the same old same old.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:07 am
Found some slightly squishy but not off mini potatoes for $1.00 a bag at the market. They roasted very nicely with lots of garlic and herbs, and olive oil. Served them with some massive pieces of braised beef shank, and steamed some baby bok choy left over from a catering.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
condiments
Cav, what would you do with the following condiments I have in my refrigerator?

Pear preserves,
Quince jelly,
Vidalia Onion jelly,
Peach Butter,
Spiced Tomato Jam,
Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce.

BBB
0 Replies