If This Is What We Are Doing To Our Own Soldiers, I Have ?'s

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
Pummeled MP sues Pentagon. Soldier was impersonating unruly Guantanamo detainee in training
David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times

Saturday, June 18, 2005

A U.S. military policeman who was beaten by fellow MPs during a botched training drill at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison for detainees has sued the Pentagon for $15 million, alleging that the incident violated his constitutional rights.

Spec. Sean Baker, 38, was assaulted in January 2003 after he volunteered to wear an orange jumpsuit and portray an uncooperative detainee. Baker said the MPs, who were told that he was an unruly detainee who had assaulted an American sergeant, inflicted a beating that resulted in a traumatic brain injury.

Baker, a Persian Gulf War veteran who re-enlisted after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, was medically retired in April 2004. He said the assault had left him with seizures, blackouts, headaches, insomnia and psychological problems.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Lexington, Ky., Baker demanded reinstatement in the Army in a position that would accommodate his medical disability. He said the Army put him on medical retirement against his wishes.

"Somebody has to step up to serve, and I still want to serve," Baker said Friday in a telephone interview from his home in Georgetown, Ky.

A Pentagon spokeswoman declined to comment, saying she had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss pending litigation.

The Pentagon first said that Baker's hospitalization after the training incident was not related to the beating. Later, officials conceded that he had been treated for injuries suffered when a five-man MP "internal reaction force" choked him, slammed his head several times against a concrete floor and sprayed him with pepper gas.

Baker said he had put on the jumpsuit and squeezed under a prison bunk after being told by a lieutenant that he would be portraying an unruly detainee. He said he was assured that MPs conducting the "extraction drill" knew it was a training exercise and that Baker was an American soldier.

As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code word, "red," and shouted: "I'm a U.S. soldier! I'm a U.S. soldier!" The beating continued, he said, until the jumpsuit was yanked down during the struggle, revealing his military uniform.

No one has been disciplined or punished for the assault, said Baker's attorney, T. Bruce Simpson Jr. Simpson said the Army's Criminal Investigation Division told him last month that it had completed an investigation and had referred it to the Army's legal section for review. A CID spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

Baker receives $2,350 a month in military disability benefits, plus $1, 000 a month in Social Security, Simpson said.

Separately Friday, the Pentagon announced that a subsidiary of Houston- based Halliburton had been awarded $30 million to build an improved 220-bed prison at Guantanamo.

Kellogg Brown and Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va., is to build a two- story prison that includes day rooms, exercise areas, medical bays, air conditioning and a security control room, according to the Pentagon. It is to be completed by July 2006.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., issued a statement criticizing the deal, calling Halliburton the "scandal-plagued former employer of Vice President (Dick) Cheney." Lautenberg has sought hearings into the contracts awarded to Halliburton for work in Iraq.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 871 • Replies: 15
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:16 am
Quote:
Baker said he had put on the jumpsuit and squeezed under a prison bunk after being told by a lieutenant that he would be portraying an unruly detainee. He said he was assured that MPs conducting the "extraction drill" knew it was a training exercise and that Baker was an American soldier.

Where was the Lieutenant when the training exercise was taking place?

If this was "training" where were the trainers?

Does it sound to anyone else like maybe this guy was being punished for something else?

Why would they be "training" at Gitmo? Shouldn't they be trained before they get there? I mean, c'mon. I understand on-going training, but you could train me for this job in 30 days and it wouldn't require beating the crap outta someone hiding under a bunk.

Why did the MP's not stop when hearig the code word? Didn't they know they were in training?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:03 pm
Beware of Dog
"Beware of Dog."

When the owner (or keeper) of a vicious dog posts a warning sign on his fence or door, the owner assumes that intruders are amply warned and venture at their own risk. This is an erroneous assumption.

Owners or keepers are liable for personal injuries or death caused by a domesticated animal in their care when the following can be proven:

The animal possessed a dangerous or vicious propensity abnormal to its class.

The owner or keeper knew or should have known about the animal's dangerous propensity.

The animal's dangerous propensity caused personal injury or death.

When the owner or keeper posts a "Beware of Dog" sign, the owner (or keeper) demonstrates that he knows about the animal's dangerous propensity. The owner or keeper has demonstrated his culpability if he sets that animal loose upon society and the animal injures or kills.

The U.S. military police officer (Baker) was given a "code word" to halt activity that was causing him injury. The article states: "As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code word, 'red.'"

Why was it necessary to give this man a code word in the first place? This demonstrates that the military (the keeper) KNEW that MPs possess a dangerous or vicious propensity when handling "uncooperative detainees" and that this propensity can cause injury or death.

Knowledge = Culpability

"Beware of MP."
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:11 pm
Excellent analogy, Debra (as usual) and another great question that I hope gets answered.

I was actually surprised this was even reported.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:14 pm
"Beware of MP." That says it all.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:43 pm
Shocking, yet beginning not to be. How people can condone and defend this stuff I'll never know.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:47 pm
Re: If This Is What We Are Doing To Our Own Soldiers, I Have
squinney wrote:
Pummeled MP sues Pentagon. Soldier was impersonating unruly Guantanamo detainee in training
David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times

Saturday, June 18, 2005

A U.S. military policeman who was beaten by fellow MPs during a botched training drill at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison for detainees has sued the Pentagon for $15 million, alleging that the incident violated his constitutional rights. . . .

LEGAL POINT: People cannot sue the Pentagon for alleged violations of their constitutional rights!

Therefore, I don't understand the basis for the complaint (plaintiff's lawsuit against federal government) as stated in the article. It fails to set forth a claim upon which relief can be granted.

Baker cannot sue the PENTAGON (the federal government itself) for an alleged violation of constitutional rights. (Sovereign Immunity--you can't sue the government without the government's explicit permission as set forth in a statute.) Waivers of the Government's sovereign immunity, to be effective, must be "unequivocally expressed."

In a Bivens action, however, Baker may sue the individual MPs involved (in their individual capacities) for excessive force (unreasonable seizure) in violation of the Fourth Amendment. (Baker may NOT sue the MPs in their "official capacities" as government agents because this would be equivalent to suing the government itself and is not allowed unless Congress has "unequivocally expressed" its desire to waive sovereign immunity.)

See BIVENS v. SIX UNKNOWN FED. NARCOTICS AGENTS, 403 U.S. 388 (1971)

However, a lawsuit against the individual MPs is unlikely to be successful. See, e.g., SAUCIER v. KATZ et al.

Quote:
The initial inquiry is whether a constitutional right would have been violated on the facts alleged, for if no right would have been violated, there is no need for further inquiry into immunity. However, if a violation could be made out on a favorable view of the parties' submissions, the next, sequential step is whether the right was clearly established. This inquiry must be undertaken in light of the case's specific context, not as a broad general proposition. The relevant, dispositive inquiry is whether it would be clear to a reasonable officer that the conduct was unlawful in the situation he confronted. . . . If the law did not put the officer on notice that his conduct would be clearly unlawful (unconstitutional), summary judgment based on qualified immunity is appropriate.

Apparently, the MPs were led to believe that Baker was an "uncooperative detainee," and it has not been clearly established that detainees have any "constitutional rights" against unreasonable seizures that can be enforced in federal courts. The MPs are probably immune from suit.

I don't think any claim based on alleged violations of constitutional rights will be successful. I think a claim under the FTCA (Federal Tort Claims Act) would be more appropriate. The FTCA explicitly waives the federal government's sovereign immunity under certain circumstances. Under the FTCA, Baker cannot sue for intentional tort (assault and battery), but he may sue the Pentagon for negligence (negligent supervision of the training drill). It was foreseeable that Baker could be injured--that's why Baker was given a code word for his protection. The military (Pentagon--federal government) was negligent in failing to ensure through proper supervision of the training drill that Baker's use of the code word would be effective to prevent injury.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:15 pm
More info from earlier reports of the incident follow. Looks like this actually occurred in 2003 and the LA Times is just getting around to reporting on it. Maybe something is happening legal wise to prompt the LA Times report at this time?

I'm seeing several contradictions within the reporting (uniform under orange suit/ uniform off, and suing gov/ can't sue government.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/02/60II/main652953.shtml

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/8773855.htm

Her it says hewas wearing "parts" of his uniform under the orange.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/may2004/guan-m29.shtml
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:20 pm
If this guy's willing to stay in after the treatment he got from his own men, he needs a psychologist.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:32 pm
This explains the legal action a little more. Maybe Debra can help with the legal points pro and con? (I'm hoping)

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=3461970&nav=EQlpavcL

snippet

Quote:
Georgetown (AP) A former Kentucky soldier injured in a military training exercise at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, is suing to be reinstated into the Army.

The lawsuit, filed by Sean D. Baker in U.S. District Court in Lexington, also asks that he receive compensation for a traumatic brain injury, which has caused seizures.

Simpson has asked that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of the Army Francis J. Harbey, who are both named in the suit, expedite a criminal investigation to determine culpability for those responsible for the January 24, 2003, beating.

"He really identified with being a soldier, it provided him a lot of self worth," Simpson said Friday. "That was stripped away from him. Sean Baker does not have a whole lot to look forward to." He said Baker is taking nine medications each day.

Simpson acknowledged that the lawsuit by Baker faces a potential legal hurdle _ the Feres doctrine, which prohibits military personnel injured in the course of duty to sue the government.

But Simpson said with the right kind of facts and evidence, that could be overcome.

According to court documents, Simpson alleged that members of the 303rd Military Police Unit were not told that they were participating in a drill.

Lt. Shaw T. Locke convinced Baker to wear an orange jumpsuit for the drill, even though Baker said he was uncomfortable with that. The lawsuit said Locke told him "everything's going to be fine." Baker said the team stormed into the cell and twisted his legs and attempted to shackle him. His head was slammed to the floor and he was choked. The team stopped only after Baker shouted more than once, "I'm a U.S. soldier!" and a code word.

Baker, bleeding and vomiting, was taken to the Guantanamo Hospital, where he was visited by military officials who assured him that there would be a complete and thorough investigation, the lawsuit said.

The U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Command launched an investigation into the matter last June. Simpson said that investigation was completed earlier this month and he was told it is currently under review by the Judge Advocate's office.
Information from: Lexington Herald-Leader

Bold is mine to highlight key points.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:37 pm
FTCA
But see:

BOLDUC v. U.S.

Quote:
The "law of the place" provides the substantive rules to be used in deciding FTCA actions. 28 U.S.C. § 1346(b)(1). The phrase "law of the place" refers to the law of the state in which the allegedly tortious acts or omissions occurred. See Meyer, 510 U.S. at 478; Castro v. United States, 775 F.2d 399, 405 (1st Cir. 1985) (per curiam). Federal constitutional or statutory law cannot function as the source of FTCA liability. See Meyer, 510 U.S. at 478 (holding that "the United States simply has not rendered itself liable under § 1346(b) for constitutional tort claims"); Sea Air Shuttle Corp. v. United States, 112 F.3d 532, 536-37 (1st Cir. 1997) (explaining that there can be no FTCA jurisdiction where the challenged government conduct has no parallel in the private sector and the asserted liability arises from a federal statutory or regulatory obligation with no comparable common law principle under which private persons would be held liable); Zabala Clemente v. United States, 567 F.2d 1140, 1149 (1st Cir. 1978) (establishing that "even where specific behavior of federal employees is required by federal statute, liability to the beneficiaries of that statute may not be founded on the Federal Tort Claims Act if state law recognizes no comparable private liability"). It follows that the appellants cannot premise jurisdiction on the rule of Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963), (6) but, rather, must look to Wisconsin law and must identify in that body of jurisprudence a basis for holding a private person liable in tort for acts and omissions comparable to those committed (or, at least, allegedly committed) by Agent Craft. See Davric Me. Corp. v. U.S. Postal Serv., 238 F.3d 58, 64 (1st Cir. 2001).

Hmmmmm...the training drill was staged at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. There is no "law of the place." This probably explains why the government prefers to locate detention centers for detainees (or "enemy combatants") anywhere but in the United States: Unaccountability.

Baker is screwed.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
Does that get more complicated by the fact the the US governemnt is "renting" the place? Or make no difference at all?

(I believe it is being rented/lease, if my memory serves. That may not be the exact term to apply to the US / Cuba agreement)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:06 pm
Quote:
Lt. Shaw T. Locke convinced Baker to wear an orange jumpsuit for the drill, even though Baker said he was uncomfortable with that. The lawsuit said Locke told him "everything's going to be fine." Baker said the team stormed into the cell and twisted his legs and attempted to shackle him. His head was slammed to the floor and he was choked. The team stopped only after Baker shouted more than once, "I'm a U.S. soldier!" and a code word.

This is terrible that this happened by accident to a soldier, but is this the way we do things now?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
And some claim the Red Cross Report was over the top...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:20 pm
Yeah, and those supporting this administration is trying to tell us our soldiers wouldn't do that to the inmates in our prisons.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:20 pm
According to them, they never ate so well.
0 Replies