In a bit of a tough situation..

Malachi

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 04:49 am
Hi everyone,

I'm at a dilemma here, so I'm looking to see if anybody would have any advice online. Firstly, I'm 14 years old turning 15 next March, My parents moved me and my other 3 siblings to France when I was 1 years old, and I have never been to school. My other siblings went to school until around 5 months before I was born, but then my parents chose(for an unknown reason) to "home-school" us. When we moved to France, neither of my parents made any effort to educate any us of at all, regardless of the fact that schooling in France is free for the most part. I've learnt almost everything I know today from the internet, from extremely basic maths to basic life skills, and this is where the the biggest problem is. I currently have no official qualifications whatsoever, due to the fact that I've never been in a school. My goal was to go back to England When I turn 15, but no place will hire a 15 year old without any education. And the more time I spend here in France(my living conditions are literally shockingly bad) the more I feel like I'm losing my mind. This year I started studying for my English GCSE, but there's no way I could do any others, at least in France. So I'm really stuck, and I hope that somebody would be kind enough to give me some advice.

Thanks,
Malachi
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 772 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 09:55 am
@Malachi,
You write very well. So you've got more education than you think you do.

Be that as it may, you can walk out of your house with no supervision, yes?

Then walk to the nearest school, tell them what you told us, and ask if they can help you.
Malachi

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 10:31 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the response Jespah, only problem is, I speak a tiny amount of french, and the schools here couldn’t give a damn. I’ve sort of accepted the fact that there’s no way I could get into the school system, and am more wondering what I could do to make money if I moved back at 15(alone)

Thanks,
Malachi
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 10:40 am
@Malachi,
No. I'm sorry, but I have a lot of trouble accepting that.

I'm not saying you're being dishonest and I am not devaluing your experience. It's more that teachers, at least some of them, are dedicated people who want to help and teach. So ask more people, not just the people in the main office.

And don't worry about not speaking French. English is taught to most -- https://www.expatica.com/fr/education/children-education/a-guide-to-french-education-101147/

I am sorry you have to do this early in your life, but so be it. You need to cultivate persistence in your life. It is a vital life skill, to be able to push for what you want and need.

And then there are your parents. Do they neglect you in any other way? What about your siblings? Have you talked to them?
Malachi

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 03:47 pm
@jespah,
Thanks again, but it is easier said than done. To start from scratch at my age is not something the schools would go out of their way to do. Besides which, if my condition at home wasn't so bad(If I at least had a room), I would most likely study for my maths and Literature. With my nearest town being 3 miles away, and not being able to talk to anybody due to the fact that I don't speak French, I'd do anything to move away faster. My brother joined the British Army and has started basic training today, but he's 18, and he was 4 we moved over, so he had to wait a significantly smaller amount of time here then I would if I wanted to follow him in joining.
0 Replies