Is it patriotic to dissent?

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:36 pm
I support our troops, and I wish them well and hope no one comes to harm. But I do not support the policies of the administration. There has been such a total disregard of any other opinion but their own, and we have now been led into a war that I feel is not justified, is not needed, and is ignoble.

I feel I am patriotic. I love my country, I think it can stand for greatness, I think it has done great things. But I dissent from the policies of this administration. Isn't this part of living in a democracy? Can you only be patriotic if you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,420 • Replies: 23
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:38 pm
i seem to oft repeat myself but patriotism is defending your country from your government.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:07 pm
It is not unpatriotic, mammaj.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:08 pm
I voted with you two.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:03 am
um, the fifth vote is mine. however i am not a u.s. citizen, so i don't know if i should have sneaked in. but since my government has joined in against mine and most of my fellow countrymen's wishes, i felt the question applies to me just as well.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:43 am
I started a tread some time ago: True Patriotism
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:52 am
Since I was born and raised there I say it's not unpatriotic at all to only want what's best for you're country ;-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:55 am
My local newspaper is called 'The Patriot'. I don't like it at all, but since it is the only dily here ...

Re 'patriotism' the situation in
Quote:
[...]Germany, of course, is radically different. To love Germany is to love its history, its culture, its political and economical system, the government's institutions, the whole enchilada. Obviously, Germany's history cannot be loved, and so it is a pretty safe bet that someone wearing a shirt with a German flag on it is either a soldier or a foreigner or a neonazi. At best, it is considered to be in bad taste to claim that one is proud to be a German. http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/us-d.html#nationalism
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:59 am
hmmm...
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:04 am
every country got its black pages in history. An American with a tattoo or T Shirt with an indian on it? bad taste?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:09 am
true. but germans got it tough. americans were not accused as a group on the basis for collective guilt for the annihilation of native americans and other tresspassings against humanity. but every single german was considered guilty after the war. hard to shake that one off.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:59 am
Patriotic to dissent?

Well, firstly I regard patriotism as basically pretty stupid. Because I am born on one piece of dirt I am supposed to think it better than other pieces of dirt that I would think better than the piece of dirt I live on now if I had been born there? Give me a break! I think we are sort of programmed to identify with our countries as a sort of extension to our more natural clan or tribe loyalty. It is a program I can do without.

Having said that, I DO live in a particular place, and I want it to be a good place for me and other people and people to come, so I am prepared to invest a fair amount of my energies into it. Unless I am stupid enough to think my country perfect, there are gonna be things I wanna change - therefore, if I have any independent thought at all, I am going to dissent at times. On my particular piece of dirt this is valued a reasonable amount of the time - it gets called freedom of speech and the democratic process and such - I consider it my duty to dissent sometimes, as long as I am reasonably lawful and don't use violence.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:13 am
Very well said dlowan and I share those feelings.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:17 am
Thank you Gezzy - I am sure many will not!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:20 am
Frolic
I suppose I would be considered one with bad taste because I wouldn't think twice about wearing a t shirt with an indian on it and as far as a tatoo goes, I always wanted some type of tatoo that represented something indian, such as a spirit stick. I've always had a huge heart for indians and was always facinated with their culture and respect.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:22 am
dlowan
what you feel is all that matters ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:25 am
Sh!t, I read the question wrong (unpatriotic) and voted the wrong answer.

The no vote should be a yes vote.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:30 am
Hmm - on this occasion it is what I THINK as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:31 am
Hmm - on this occasion it is what I THINK as well.

Nemmind, Wilso!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:31 am
We got you correct vote now Wilso, and that counts ;-)
0 Replies