Heran Chaban

http://www.spokaneschools.org/lewis_clark/artcollection/art/originals/366.JPG
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:30 am
Saur's Dictionary of artist biographies (AKL), Munich, Leipzig:

His fathers name was Chabanian
different artist names
Armenian painter, graphic artist, illustrator (books), caricaturist (newspapers).
1887 Erzurum (Turky)
1939 Nantes (France), suicide
Came 1894 to Paris with his parents, first pupil of his father.
1911-1913 Ecole des arts decoratifs Paris.
Landscape painter (France, Belgium, Netherlands), portrait painter.
(AKL 18, 1998, 39, 40)
0 Replies

trochisque

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:53 pm
hello
see here a photo of an etching of Heran Chaban
JP B
mattssu2004

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:52 pm
HI)
i have a painting named sunset glow by heran-chaban... not sure what it's worth, any idea? was givin to his maid by him and then from her to my family, anyways pls let me know if anyone finds out ty vm
Anglais

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:11 am
Heran-Chaban
I have a Heran-Chaban print of what appears to be a French or Belgian country scene with a line of trees receding into the distance across a field. Bought in London.
0 Replies

ollie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:03 pm
@kathybabs,
A French painter and caricaturist. Born 1887 Died 1939
0 Replies

daveb8147

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
@kathybabs,
I have been searching for information on this artist for about 10 years. What you have listed is pretty much all I've learned about this artist. There are a few of his prints in the US. I believe that you have a print and that a school board in WASHINGTON STATE has another print. I have seen a copy of your print on the internet somewhere.
My great grandmother bought a signed and numbered print from him in the late 30's. My print is a french windmill with sailboats and a harbor in the distance. It's a night, with an irridescent moon that just glows. I found an art bulletin board a couple of years ago and posted a description of my print and found someone in Holland who also had a signed and numberd copy of this print. My number was lower than his. It seems that you either love his work or you don't . I'm the only one in our family that loves or likes this print.
I called The Print Shop in Philadelphia during my search and they had not heard of this artist.
All I can say is that you should keep searching and you will find more about him. You might find others who own a copy of your print.
Sglass

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:14 pm
try artnet.com. you can buy a limited membership but it might be worth it if his work has any value.
0 Replies

porbit28

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 04:14 pm
@daveb8147,
Dave:

I have what appears to be a print signed underneath by him. The upper left has the following inscribed "Copyright Les Artistes Modernes 1929 - 5 Rue Scribe Paris". It always has been framed so I don't know what is on the back. It is a port scene with 3 windmills, two sailboats, a small steamer and a man in a row boat - but does not appear to be a night scene. It does not have a moon. I love it. Peter
[email protected]
0 Replies

rickkelley

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:59 pm
@mattssu2004,

Well - - this is certainly a late reply, but I am a fan of Heran Chaban, and can tell you what little I know - - .

I have three of his prints, one large signed and numbered - - a harbor scene, with a skeletal ship wreck half buried in the sand and people walking on the beach. The other two are smaller - - hand signed, but not numbered. After buying the first one, the larger one, at an estate sale I started tracking him on e-Bay.

"Sunset Glow" is by far the most famous. There are many reproductions around, and they come up on e-Bay regularly, so it must be an open edition - - not especially valuable unless hand signed with some indication that it was part of the original issue. If , by chance, it is "the" original watercolor from which the reproduction stones were carved, it could be quite valuable. (Real long-shot there)

Two small water colors that claimed to be 'original water colors' came up for sale a couple of years ago, with a "buy-it-now" price of $30 or $40 - - . I wasn't fast enough to get them, and have been sulking about it ever since. Other than those two, I haven't seen any that claimed to be "originals".

Being one of those "hopeless romantics" I probably read more into his work than was ever intended. Heran was a suicide, which may have accounted for the use of dark colors - - - still, he managed to get some very nice skys and moonlight on water.

Like a previous poster said, he's not for everyone.

Bob Dean

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:22 am
Thanks for the information on this painter. I recently purchased a print by Heran Chaban titles "Low Tide". The print is signed in pencil on the lower right side and has the # 50 printed in pencil on the bottom left side. Anyone have additional information on the painting? Note - the print is in good shape as is the frame which looks original. The matting seems a little faded. Is it ok to replace just the matting or best to keep it all original?
0 Replies

JoAnn Henderson

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
I also have a watercolor by this artist. It is a harbor scene with a windmill on the right side and two sailboats. There is a smaller row boat in the foreground. I've had the picture for years. It was my mother's great aunt originally. She was born in the late 1880's and lived a relatively privileged life in Florida. It is signed.
0 Replies

QeM

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:20 pm
I have a painting called High Tide Titled Maree Haute # 116 By Heran Chaban does anybody know how much this painting coats
bnewcol

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 08:24 pm
@daveb8147,
I have a painting of his, it is beautiful. It reminds me of one of my favorite hiking spots on Vacouver Island. It has trees on a prominant point looking out over the water. you can see a reflection on the water of either sun or monn, but you can't see a sun or moon. My parents had it and were wanting to get rid of it, so I grabbed it. It is signed by him, with no # 136. It is large, framed, watercolor with pen marks. It has a stamp in the lower left underneath and says ___ Ad Valker (?) Paris, it's hard to read. Upper right says copyright 1928.
0 Replies

Renardoux

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:16 pm
I have two lovely prints of water scenes, one with an arched bridge and the other with mansions on the edge of a river. Both are signed in pencil and in what appear to be the original frames. Found them long ago (over 25 years), probably for peanuts in an antique shop or garage sale. Where can one find visuals od his workds. nothing I have seen so far includes photos.
0 Replies

Tisha Bradley

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 12:39 pm
@rickkelley,
I think I have an original, I bought it at a yard sell for 8.00$ it was some sort of fund raiser for a community center. It has a small rock ledge on the left side with some tree's on them overlooking some low water rolling into the shore with a small island that seems to go out into the water a way's and some dark looking clouds. Signed in the lower left hand corner A. Chabanian This watercolor looks like it is on panel or something. So old looking and depressing. Everyone asked me why I bought it and I said I am not sure it bought me...Lol. I love it. Tisha
0 Replies

latesurfer

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:48 pm
@daveb8147,
I also have a painting by Heran Chaban named An Evening Breeze.
Signed by Heran Chaban of 2 sailing ships and a small row boat with 1 or 2 men in the boat. It is a moonlit scene. I have no Idea what this is worth. can anyone help me out on this. . In the frame it measures 19"x15". and just the
print 8" x 12". I also have another etching but I haven't figured out the name as of yet. looks like Dave could be Tonbasch I have to work on the name to get it right. it is of a wind mill with the sign All Points Vue and is also signed Moulin Debray? on the spelling 1860
0 Replies

judith L

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 12:07 pm
@trochisque,
I'd like to see it...Judy Tuttle..would you show it? or am I missing it?
0 Replies