Bible interpretations

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:17 am
Faith can come only by association with the godly, by studying the lives and experiences of godly persons. An individual who has faith in God must put his faith into practice. By believing in God and yet ignoring God's utterances and commands, you are contradicting yourselves. Faith is not a cloak to be worn outside for deceiving others. Devotion and prayer should not be for the sole purpose of obtaining something or fulfilling some desire. It should be for the sake of the Soul (the inner divinity) and for the sake of the bliss of becoming one with the Lord.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
shiyacic aleksandar wrote:
Faith can come only by association with the godly, by studying the lives and experiences of godly persons. An individual who has faith in God must put his faith into practice. By believing in God and yet ignoring God's utterances and commands, you are contradicting yourselves. Faith is not a cloak to be worn outside for deceiving others. Devotion and prayer should not be for the sole purpose of obtaining something or fulfilling some desire. It should be for the sake of the Soul (the inner divinity) and for the sake of the bliss of becoming one with the Lord.

"Faith"...the way religious people use it...is horseshyt.

Essentially they make a guess about something unknown (and disguise the fact that it is a guess by calling it a belief)....

...and then they insist the guess is correct no matter what....

...and call that bit of silly bull-headedness "faith."

It is a joke.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:34 am
Frank, I admire your patience in responding to SA's posts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:11 am
I am nothing if not persistent!

It is one of the qualities that makes me irresistable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:57 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not your humility? Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:58 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not your humility? Laughing

Oh...that too!
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:21 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are a fervent religious individual without knowing it!...
You have a problem with identification,only.
Those that you describe as ridiculous or superstitious,nothing bounds you to associate yourself with these people or to do the same rituals as them.
Follow you own path of intellect and analyze and ultimately your soul will find the way out.It is in the nature of the soul to "escape" from the earthly objective stagnation... :wink:
Nothing is bad in your approach of the Divine,otherwise...
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
I have a question. A lot of people believe that Jesus existed but was not the son of God. There is much dispute about who he really was and what he did. Take the Davinci Code for instance or the Gnostics. The Muslims revere him as a Prophet but certainly not God himself. I'm a Christian but I have been thinking a lot about this lately and having doubts. So I was wondering how you square this with the Bible as Jesus clearly calls himself the Son of God and says that he is one with the father, etc. Do you think these statements were added at a later date for some other reason?

Please refrain from trying to tell me that the Bible is all lies, etc.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:43 am
John Creasy wrote:
I have a question. A lot of people believe that Jesus existed but was not the son of God. There is much dispute about who he really was and what he did. Take the Davinci Code for instance or the Gnostics. The Muslims revere him as a Prophet but certainly not God himself. I'm a Christian but I have been thinking a lot about this lately and having doubts. So I was wondering how you square this with the Bible as Jesus clearly calls himself the Son of God and says that he is one with the father, etc. Do you think these statements were added at a later date for some other reason?

First: Davinci Code is fiction. It is not meant to be anything else.

There is no reason not to take the New Testament at face value. Everybody "adds something else" at one point or another to everything. But, the religion of Christianity is based on the writings of men who claimed to be inspired by G-d. The Church then parsed through these various writings and decided which ones accurately potrayed what they conceived of as the religion of Christianity.
You either accept this as the truth or you don't.
If you believe that Jesus is G-d; he died for your sins; and if you believe that, you'll have everlasting life, then what does it matter who added or subtracted from the religious writings? You would simply use them as a tool to further examine how to get "closer to G-d" and strengthen your beliefs.

Now, my personal opinion is that Muhammad may have been touched by G-d, but that the result of this "touching" resulted in some serious abberations.
I also happen to think that it is possible that Jesus was "touched" by G-d, but that his being "touched" was radically altered by a Roman Church that needed to incoporate its own world view into Christianity.
Whatever Jesus was, I am reasonably sure that he was not G-d.
Nonetheless, if you believe that he was, go for it. Just don't kill anyone.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
John you seem sincere,I advise you to read the articles on this site the most serious and the most sincere of all:
http://www.shareintl.org/
Very Happy
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

There is no reason not to take the New Testament at face value. Everybody "adds something else" at one point or another to everything. But, the religion of Christianity is based on the writings of men who claimed to be inspired by G-d. The Church then parsed through these various writings and decided which ones accurately potrayed what they conceived of as the religion of Christianity.
If you believe that Jesus is G-d; he died for your sins; and if you believe that, you'll have everlasting life, then what does it matter who added or subtracted from the religious writings? You would simply use them as a tool to further examine how to get "closer to G-d" and strengthen your beliefs.

Now, my personal opinion is that Muhammad may have been touched by G-d, but that the result of this "touching" resulted in some serious abberations.
I also happen to think that it is possible that Jesus was "touched" by G-d, but that his being "touched" was radically altered by a Roman Church that needed to incoporate its own world view into Christianity.

Thank you. I know davinci code is fiction but many people believe the essence of the story. Could you elaborate about the abberations from Muhammad?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:50 pm
shiyacic aleksandar wrote:
John you seem sincere,I advise you to read the articles on this site the most serious and the most sincere of all:
http://www.shareintl.org/
Very Happy

That's some pretty deep stuff. So is all that based on what Benjamin has said? How do they have all this information? I've never heard about this before but I do kinda believe that all religions are guided by the same thing.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

Thank you. I know davinci code is fiction but many people believe the essence of the story. Could you elaborate about the abberations from Muhammad?

I have noted this elsewhere, but the long and the short of it is:
Mohammad proclaimed a new religion based on revelation.
He based his revelation on the G-d described in the Torah and the Christian new testament. He proclaimed individuals such as Moses and Jesus prophets, like himself, of this one G-d, which he proclaimed was the Allah of the Arabs.
Simple enough so far.
However, he also proclaimed that the texts, the Torah and the new testament, were corrupted and the followers of these texts were corrupted and that the texts really didn't say what the followers thought they said; they said what Mohammad said they said.... Which was completely different and even opposite of what the texts that he claimed that his new religion of Islam were based upon.
In other words, Mohammad's "revelation" was that the other religions were wrong unless they believed in what Mohammad's interpretations of there text was....
Now, this is fine. Who cares?
However, it is seriously inconsistent with logic.
For instance, the Jews did not proclaim that the Egyptian religion or the Canaanite religions or whomever, were mis-interpreted. They simply said "They are wrong. Lock, stock and barrel. The pagans simply made it all up or got sucked in by demons and are worshipping wrongly."
The Christians said: "the Jews were right, but we've got the new revelation now that says our guy is the culmination of all the Jewish scriptures."
Muslims take the Koran and interpret it to mean that even though the Jews and the Christians were right, they were totally wrong. No Chosen People; No Son of G-d; No religious basis for their beliefs, except....
All of Islam is based on Judaism and Christianity.
Confused? Well, so are they.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:53 pm
I see your point, although we did just get done discussing how scripture probably was changed and re-interpreted.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
John Creasy wrote:
I see your point, although we did just get done discussing how scripture probably was changed and re-interpreted.

Absolutely.
But if I tell you that the US Constitution never mentioned slavery and that the 3/5 clause meant 3/5 of a Native American Indians because it says Indians in the passage where it is mentioned and it does not mention black slaves, therefore, it must be talking about Indians, you might say... "Uhh, no."
Or you might agree with the above interpretation.
But logic and precedent says that the above interpretation is wrong.

("Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several states which may be included within this union, according to their respective numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons, including those bound to service for a term of years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.")
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 03:30 pm
John Creasy wrote:

Read Proverbs chapter 8 and think about who might be talking.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:40 pm
neologist wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

Read Proverbs chapter 8 and think about who might be talking.

That sounds like someone who could be the Son of God, but didn't King Soloman write the proverbs?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:54 pm
When Solomon says he was ". . .produced at the beginning. . .", he can't be talking about himself. He is quoting words inspired of Jesus.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:49 pm
neologist wrote:
When Solomon says he was ". . .produced at the beginning. . .", he can't be talking about himself. He is quoting words inspired of Jesus.

that sounds reasonable, are you sure?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
John Creasy wrote:
neologist wrote:

that sounds reasonable, are you sure?

John, referring to Jesus in the book of COLOSSIANS, 1:16-17, it says, "For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him: And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist [hold together]. "
0 Replies