Bible interpretations

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:41 am
Joe Sixpack and his family are at the lake until just before Labor Day. Can't throw a decent party without him. So it looks like Labor Day. I'll keep y'all posted.

And I will try to be nice.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:45 am
Do keep me posted.

Don't try to be nice.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:14 am
Mein kamph was inspired by a sick person and an very egoistic,evil man-Hitler.
His book is full of false statements and greedy pretentions...
This man was obssesed and possesed by evil.
Under this obssesion He tried to conquer other countries for selfish interests and thus prevail as the supreme "furer".
His success was very short because evil never defeats goodness in eternity.The success of an evil mind lasts very short.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 04:25 am
There is no difference between the belief of a four year old in her imaginary friend and a forty year old's belief that his life is guided by a supreme being of some sort. They are both suffering from comforting delusions, both possessed by reassuring, but imaginary, beings. Humankind would have been much better off if the first time someone said "I heard the voice of God." the surrounding folks had all said "Balls to that." and helped push him over a cliff.

Here it is, all the rest is voices:

Be honest.
Love truly.
Learn more.
Teach all.

No supreme beings drifting in and out giving one group of blue-assed temple builders permission to smite another group of equally addled minded group of tree worshippers. No one thinking their particular, and very spiffy, version of Great One Who Doesn't Seem to React Particularly Logically to Our Prayers is better, or spiffier, than any other WhoDooYouThinkIam and thereby gives them the thumbs up to bomb subway cars. Where else would humans get these odd ideas?

Not from:

Be honest.
Love truly.
Learn more.
Teach all.

Okay.
Now back to wondering if the words in the Latin Vulgate reflect the meaning of the Douay-Rheims:

nihil sub sole novum nec valet quisquam dicere ecce hoc recens est iam enim praecessit in saeculis quae fuerunt ante nos

What do you think?
Joe(what an ass)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:22 am
Wow! When I told Joe Sixpack that Joe (pompous) Nation can quote Latin, he asked "Is this Joe (believe me because I'm smarter than you) Nation a priest?

I said "A priest! you really ought not to insult him without getting to know him first."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
He is a priest.

But they don't use Latin in the masses they say in his church.

Isnay on the AtinLay and urntay that rusifixcay over.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
aughlay, aughlay, aughlay
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:03 am
All this time I thought I was famous for having a great ass, now I find out it's because I am a great ass.

Joe(maybe I should stop doing this)(?)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:28 am
We love you, Joe. And you are also welcome at the barbecue. Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:50 am
There's food somewhere?

(I'd like to apologize to whomever for hyjacking this thread,)

Joe
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:39 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
There is no difference between the belief of a four year old in her imaginary friend and a forty year old's belief that his life is guided by a supreme being of some sort.

Your post is a gelatinous mass of opinion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:57 am
real life wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
There is no difference between the belief of a four year old in her imaginary friend and a forty year old's belief that his life is guided by a supreme being of some sort.

Your post is a gelatinous mass of opinion.

Joe packs more information into each sentence he writes than you do in a dozen posts, Life.

And he has a fabulous sense of humor.

I cannot wait to see what he does with that "gelatinous mass of opinion" bullshyt.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:58 am
If "bullshyt" offends you, Life...please change that word to "straight line."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:29 am
I'm thinking about changing the name of my blog to gelatinous mass of opinion. I like it. I like saying it --gelatinous mass -- oh boy. Thanks for the idea.

Ideas and opinions, that's all we've really got, all of us. Some of us use a different gelatinous mass to acquire, inquire, shape and form those ideas and opinions. They help us to comprehend real life, real life.

Joe(There is so much irony in that last sentence, it weighs a pound.)Nation
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:47 am
gelatinous mass of opinion- genious pissin foam on a lot Smile

-fly on the wall
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:27 am
real life wrote:
SN95 wrote:
The hebrew word "naggar" is translated in the bible as 'carpenter.' However, another meaning of the hebrew word is 'scholar' or 'learned man.' So it could very well mean that the bible originally meant Jesus was not a carpenter but a learned (enlightened) man, which really makes more sense to me.

The New Testament , which details the life of Jesus, is not written in Hebrew. It is in Greek.

I'm well aware. What's your point?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:49 am
SN95 wrote:
real life wrote:
SN95 wrote:
The hebrew word "naggar" is translated in the bible as 'carpenter.' However, another meaning of the hebrew word is 'scholar' or 'learned man.' So it could very well mean that the bible originally meant Jesus was not a carpenter but a learned (enlightened) man, which really makes more sense to me.

The New Testament , which details the life of Jesus, is not written in Hebrew. It is in Greek.

Surely, you jest. http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/rofl.gif
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I'm thinking about changing the name of my blog to gelatinous mass of opinion. I like it. I like saying it --gelatinous mass -- oh boy. Thanks for the idea.

Ideas and opinions, that's all we've really got, all of us. Some of us use a different gelatinous mass to acquire, inquire, shape and form those ideas and opinions. They help us to comprehend real life, real life.

Joe(There is so much irony in that last sentence, it weighs a pound.)Nation

Glad you like it. Haven't copyrighted it, so feel free. It really bears no resemblance to the Catholic liturgy of nearly the same name, but they might give you a bad time about it.

As for ideas, I like 'em. Opinions too, and I've got plenty, as anyone who's talked with me knows.

But they are not all we have really. There's also facts. And besides facts there is knowledge and experience.

If I have met you, I will not be able to "prove" it scientifically the next day. There is no empirical method that will reproduce our meeting that will satisfy a group of inquiring scientists.

But it is a fact and is part of my experience. I now know you, if only slightly. How then is that type of knowledge communicated and validated?

If a person knows God, you may not be able to "prove" it empirically, but you certainly cannot disprove it either for the same reason. That type of knowledge is not validated in a "scientific" way. So if we limit ourselves to "science" , then there are scads of things that we will not "know".

Real (I'd like to see Joe go for the Guiness Book of Records for the longest parenthetical in his signature. I don't know if he has time to do this but it would be fun to see him try and I would certainly cheer him on. I promise not to try to outdo him, 'cuz I'm gonna be busy.) Life
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:28 am
neologist wrote:
SN95 wrote:
real life wrote:
SN95 wrote:

Surely, you jest. http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/rofl.gif

Yeah what you said.

(I've been waiting a while to say that.)

I wish I had all the cool smilies that Neologist has.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
Smileys available here:

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/smilies.htm

and here:

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/smiley2.htm

Use the image tool on your post. Copy properties and paste.

They may be copyrighted by (unknown) owners, so don't use commercially. Cool
0 Replies