Bible interpretations

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:45 am
This is something i would like to know more about. I have seen a few examples of this, where the bible, through its many translations, has had words changed. for example, in greek, the word "logos" can mean either "word" or "ratio". When translating to english, they picked word, because it seemed to fit. but what about what it was meant to say. Anyone have any thoughts, or more examples, of this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,548 • Replies: 76
No top replies

SN95

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:46 pm
The hebrew word "naggar" is translated in the bible as 'carpenter.' However, another meaning of the hebrew word is 'scholar' or 'learned man.' So it could very well mean that the bible originally meant Jesus was not a carpenter but a learned (enlightened) man, which really makes more sense to me.

In another thread I talked about the "camel passing through the eye of a needle" parable in which the word camel was a mistranslation for rope. Camel used in this context makes no sense, however, a rope passing through the eye of a needle makes the parable more coherent.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:36 am
Very wise. :wink:
0 Replies

MiTHoS2

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:50 pm
SN95 wrote:
In another thread I talked about the "camel passing through the eye of a needle" parable in which the word camel was a mistranslation for rope. Camel used in this context makes no sense, however, a rope passing through the eye of a needle makes the parable more coherent.

There was(or still is, I'm not sure) a place in Jerusalem that was called the 'eye of the needle', it was a way through the wall, but it had a kindof low 'overpass' so in order for a camel to pass through it, it had to crouch pretty low, which was near impossible to get the camel to do so. That is where that comes from, I believe.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:30 am
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:22 am
Oops, looks like someone beat me to it...
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
Myself, I don't see what's great about the versions, as I believe they are fabricated or drocinated. Very intelligent scholars put together scrolls to make up the KJV, and that's what makes it gods true word.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:16 am
SN95 wrote:
The hebrew word "naggar" is translated in the bible as 'carpenter.' However, another meaning of the hebrew word is 'scholar' or 'learned man.' So it could very well mean that the bible originally meant Jesus was not a carpenter but a learned (enlightened) man, which really makes more sense to me.

The New Testament , which details the life of Jesus, is not written in Hebrew. It is in Greek.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:45 am
Jesus built his shrine in the altar of his own heart thats why hes a carpeter and a learned man at the same time.
Hespent 14 years in travelling (iran,afganistan,Tibet,India)from his 16th birthday.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:50 am
It doesn't much matter if words are interpreted reasonably or unreasonably...or whether or not the translations are accurate.

Whenever Christians see anything in the Bible that they don't like...they rationalize it away anyway.

The Bible...especially the New Testament...is a joke.

A horrible, menacing, degrading joke....but a joke nonetheless.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:52 am
As to the "eye of a needle"...here is an excellent site discussing the issue:

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/Franklin4YAHWEH/camelthroughneedle.html
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:55 am
The new testament is full of esoteric truths and details for a person who understands it symbollicaly.It is otherwise possible to understand it sentimentaly,not correctly,as ordinary men, prisets and popes do usually.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
shiyacic aleksandar wrote:
The new testament is full of esoteric truths ...

Same thing can be said for Mein Kampf.

Quote:
...and details for a person who understands it symbollicaly.

Same thing can be said for Mein Kampf.

Quote:
It is otherwise possible to understand it sentimentaly,not correctly,as ordinary men, prisets and popes do usually.

I don't even know what the hell this means...but I'd be willing to bet there are many who would argue that the same thing can be said for Mein Kampf.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:55 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
It doesn't much matter if words are interpreted reasonably or unreasonably...or whether or not the translations are accurate.

Whenever Christians see anything in the Bible that they don't like...they rationalize it away anyway.

Go ahead, Frank. Broadbrush the Christians again. They're ALL....................and you're unhappy if they can't answer your questions the way you want them to.

Most Christians realize that they do not understand everything about God or the Bible. Never have and never will.

(Most people realize that they do not understand everything about literature or language or history or science or music or human relations or......... Never have and never will.)

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's a joke.

You got questions about the Bible? Good, me too. We may never know or understand the answer to our questions. But very often, we may. But not if we approach at the outset with an assumption that "the Bible is a joke", "a cartoon God" is portrayed, etc.

Anyone vain enough to think that they SHOULD be able to understand everything about God --- is just that, vain.

That is not the same as saying we cannot understand anything about God.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:47 pm
Jesus built his shrine in the altar of his own heart thats why hes a carpeter and a learned man at the same time.
Hespent 14 years in travelling (iran,afganistan,Tibet,India)from his 16th birthday.
And you were there, I suppose?
Frank Apisa wrote:

Another example of meticulous research by Frank.

The bible was written so that people of superior intelligence would have no advantage over ordinary folks when it came to understanding. That's fair, isn't it? You don't need a priest to learn about God's purpose for the earth and your responsibility toward Him.

The fact that ignorant and lazy people have been willing to appoint arrogant people as priests who subsequently have literally raped their flocks is not the fault of God.

Really smart guys like Frank don't understand that.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:19 pm
The Evolution...especially the Darwin Theory...is a joke.

0 Replies

petros

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
All religions must take responsibility for the suffering in the world. Instead of teaching salvation, religions are creating pockets of imprisonment. They have created strife and conditioned people. But this is coming to an end. From now on, schools, colleges and universities will help people discover where thoughts and ideas come from, that we are all connected to the Almighty and that we do not need scriptures to experience our true Selves.

Very Happy

Those schools misinterpret things and treat ancient documents that were not copyrighted as their sole property. What a silly and gullible eagerness.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:42 am
neologist wrote:
And you were there, I suppose?
Frank Apisa wrote:

Another example of meticulous research by Frank.

The bible was written so that people of superior intelligence would have no advantage over ordinary folks when it came to understanding. That's fair, isn't it?

Gimme a break.

That is such a bunch of horseshyt, even you shouldn't be spewing it.

If anything...the best guess is that the Bible was written to justify what was being done at the time the writing was being done.

They had slaves...so they had their god tell them that owning slaves was okay.

When people did things outside the ordinary....they stoned them to death...so they had their god tell them that stoning people to death for not being ordinary was okay.

When they defeated an enemy...they slaughtered the men and took the children and women into slavery....so they had their god tell them that slaughtering defeated enemies and enslaving their issue was okay.

Quote:
You don't need a priest to learn about God's purpose for the earth and your responsibility toward Him.

Oh really!

It is obvious that you do not even know if there is a God...so it makes no sense for you to lecture on how a god would reveal it purpose for the earth or any responsibilities it has for humans. And even if there is a God...it makes no sense to suppose it has a purpose for us...or any desire to impose responsibilities on us.

Quote:
The fact that ignorant and lazy people have been willing to appoint arrogant people as priests who subsequently have literally raped their flocks is not the fault of God.

No...and it is too bad that ignorant, lazy minded people still want to dabble in fairytales. But so what?

Quote:
Really smart guys like Frank don't understand that.

Well I know enough to know what I know...and what I am guessing about...and I have the integrity and honesty to acknowledge that.

Too bad you don't. This would be a much nicer discussion if you did.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:10 am
I'm sorry not to be nice, Frank. But I did invite you to the barbecue. Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
neologist wrote:
I'm sorry not to be nice, Frank. But I did invite you to the barbecue. Laughing

Oops.

Yes....I saw that...and meant to respond but didn't.

I go to any party to which I receive an invitation.

I tend to party hard...and have been know to leave in an ambulance. (Riding in the back with IV's working!)

If that doesn't bother you....I accept.

Lemme know where and when.
0 Replies