Please help us choose a name

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
Re: Please help us choose a name
Heeven wrote:
Arabella is too close to Aurelia so I didn't pick that one.

I agree with Heeven on Arabella, it's nice but too similar to Aurelia. Also it's 8 syllables if you're trying to get their attention quickly.

I'm partial to Maya but that's because it's my daughter's name (spelled with an I instead of the Y).

I like Grace too. It's not cutsie or trendy and reminds me of someone with "grace and style".

Congrats again! When is the due date?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:20 am
I've always liked Chloe, and Zoe as well, but you have to consider how it flows with the last name too. I mean, Chloe Putz wouldn't work no matter what.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:31 am
Last name doesn't share a common first letter with any of the names.

Due date is August 30th.

I'm not sure how any name would work with Putz. Ima? Ura?

Thanks for all the responses; please keep 'em coming!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 03:13 pm
What do you call Aurelia when you call her?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:25 pm
I voted for Juliana Grace, mostly because "Julia" and "Grace" are favorites of mine. If my son had been a daughter, I would have named her Julia Laurel.

However, I think it's most important to choose a name that goes well with your surname. I understand you may not want to give that out here, but please do consider it.

Out of curiosity, if you choose Arabella, do you expect she would be called "Bella" for short?
0 Replies

sweetcilla

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
I choose Elena Gabrielle it just sounds like it flows together I love it
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:58 pm
Chloe Elena or Maya Isabelle are my top choices.
Naturally, I'd opt for Soda or Smash or something, but that may be just me...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
Don't go by me.

I have started really responding to funky names.
Lucy, Mila (Mee-lah), Sophie, Jemima, Clementine, Gilda,

Plain: Anne, Jane, Elizabeth, Caroline

Fauna is represented: Ivy

The olly's: Polly, Molly, Holly

This list:

Arabella Grace --not together
Arabella Michelle --Michelle is so overdone, IMO.
Chloe Elena --Don't like Chloe. Elena has potential. (eh-LAIN--ah)
Elena Gabrielle--- So don't like Gabrielle gab, gabby.
Juliana Grace-- Juliana was on my list when we were expecting our daughter. That spelling, too. A lovely name.

Common etiquette, I guess--for lack of a better term--may deem two names ending in 'a' to be incorrect, but depending on the 'authority' of the surname, I think Juliana Elena may be quite lovely.

Maya Isabelle-- Maya (bleeck) Mia Isabella??

Anyway, bless her precious, tiny heart. Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:10 pm
I admit to a penchant to like Maya, after Elena Gabrielle, pronounced (oh, never mind). Reminds me of Mayo, a japanese american friend with the Irish name before the very long japanese surname, and Mayo remains in my mind as a sharp and wonderful person. Plus, m'dad's family had history in county Mayo. I know, I know, not the same thing at all as Maya - which also interests me, but is not so personal.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:13 pm
Arabella Sassypants.

I do like Arabella.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:16 pm
I know two Mayas -- one was one of my staff members, a student first, absolutely huge heart, came here from Russia knowing no English OR any ASL (deaf), work ethic that just wouldn't quit, fantastic mom to a brilliant (hearing) boy.

The other is a tiny little adorable tyke in one of sozlet's classes.

Though I know that knowing other kids have similar names can be a turn-off -- we had a last-minute name change when Sylvester Stallone named his daughter what we were thinking of. :-(

Point anyway is that the connotations are powerful -- I have a strange version of a usual name because my parents loved the usual name but knew a little girl who had the name who they couldn't stand -- so they adjusted it a bit. I like it.

Sans connotations, I'd like Juliana Grace the best I think. Definitely like the one-syllable middle names if there are polysyllabic first names -- polysyllabic + polysyllabic is a bit much. (Can you just tell us how many syllables in your last name?)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
Three syllables, emphasis on the first.

FYI, I wouldn't have a problem with you folks knowing my name; it's the lurkers, ya know?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:25 am
Then DEFINITELY on the one syllable middle name. Would tend towards a less-syllabic first name, too, since middle names aren't often actually used, but at the very least not Polysyllabic Polysyllabic Polysyllabic. (Hmmm, Polly...)

One other thing we did is chose two names that are kind of opposite ends of the same spectrum -- figured that if one didn't suit her, she could go by the other. (So far her name has suited her to a T...)

And understood about lurkers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
Juliana Grace.

For 60-odd years I've shared monograms--both names and nicknames-- with my sister and endured the consequent confusion.

Give your second daughter her own initials.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:50 pm
Juliana Elena Baklava.

Yeah. Soz is right. I thought, if you had a monosyllabic surname, the flowery given names would be ok.

A vote for Juliana Grace.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:26 pm
Yes, Juliana Grace is nice. Or how about just Julia Grace?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:31 pm
...Hey. They'll be calling her Jules, anyway.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
Yep. And it sounds dignified, which she'll need when she's a woman.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:36 pm
<smiles> I hink her own dignity will lend dignity to her name...

I already like Arabella Sassypants.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
Elena Gabrielle just rolls off the tongue so nicely and sounds so rich...not monetarily, but in sound.
0 Replies