Elementary Principles of War Propaganda

frolic

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:33 pm
Over 70 years ago, British diplomat Lord Arthur Ponsonby (1871-1946) wrote in his book Falsehood in Wartime about the perennial propaganda claims of wartime leaders. Belgian historian Anne Morelli has recently shed fresh light on Ponsonby's analysis, distilling his findings on wartime propaganda into 10 principles as follows:

1. We do not want war;
2. The other side is solely responsible for the war;
3. The enemy has the face of the devil;
4. It is a noble cause that we defend and not particular interests;
5. The enemy commits atrocities knowingly; if we make unfortunate mistakes, it is involuntary;
6. The enemy uses unauthorized weapons;
7. We suffer very few losses, while the losses of the enemy are enormous;
8. Artists and intellectuals support our cause;
9. Our cause has a sacred nature;
10. Those who question our statements are traitors. (8)

Lies and prejudices promote war, and war in turn promotes lies and prejudices.

Bush read the book.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,044 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:19 pm
Excellent, frolic.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:00 pm
These are about forms not about contents.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:03 pm
I would believe Bush read the book, if he were capable. Which he's not. But I bet Karl Rove has read it!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:24 pm
Every language has a structure, every sentence follows a grammar.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:34 pm
I'm sure Bush read the book (I read it in French and i dont know if its available in English. So that means Bush speaks French? No, someone read the book for Bush)

Now some examples:

Quote:
We do not want war

Bush is always saying Saddam is causing this war and that he is a peacefull man. Saddam has chosen the path of war, not the US

Quote:
The other side is solely responsible for the war;

Saddam has chosen the path of war, not the US. Saddam did not want to disarm and therefore he pust pay. Saddam did not aswer positively on the ultimatum,....

Quote:
The enemy has the face of the devil

Saddam is the devil on earth. He tortures, gasses people and kills for fun.
Moesjarraf is a puppy and good for his people? Sharon is good for the Palestinians?...

Quote:
It is a noble cause that we defend and not particular interest

We fight for peace and stability in Iraq. This is not a war for oil. We want a bright future for Iraq and the Iraqi people.Its just coicidence that US intervenes in coutries with economic and/or strategic bonusses. Why is Africa left on its own? And its also just coicidence that the last stronghold of autoritarian rulers in the region is Kuwait. An ally of the US, Why dont we bring Democracy there? And why dont we bring democracy to Pakistan?

Quote:
The enemy commits atrocities knowingly; if we make unfortunate mistakes, it is involuntary;

The bombing of the civilian air raid shelter back in 1991 was a terrible mistake. Saddam slaughters his own people.

Quote:
The enemy uses unauthorized weapons;

Saddam has ABC weapons. Like the US doesn't have those weapons. Whats the difference? Suicide bombers is unauthorized? And what about US airforce bombers bombing cities and installations 10.000 feet high, safe in the cockpit? Anonymous warfare without the smell of death and devastation? and that is authorized?

Quote:
Artists and intellectuals support our cause;

Look We are right=> Even Tom Cruise is supporting us. Like Tom Cruise is Merlin the magician, and he has the power to decide whats good and right!! Come on! He is an actor!

Quote:
Our cause has a sacred nature

"And may God continue blessing America" "God Bless America" "This is a crusade to root out evil"... Like God wants to be associated with a war where thousands and thousands civilians get killed? Do you realy think God support people killing eachother?

Quote:
Those who question our statements are traitors.

"If your against us you better join those cheese eating Monkeybrain Frenchman." "You're not patriotic if u dont support our men fighting for us" This our men fighting for another man's cause!!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 04:57 pm
A propaganda is a form of strategies of a zero-sum (or negative-sum) game of war. It should be read embedded in the framework of the game relevant.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:01 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
A propaganda is a form of strategies of a zero-sum (or negative-sum) game of war. It should be read embedded in the framework of the game relevant.

Does this mean something, or am I just obtuse this afternoon?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:04 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
satt_focusable wrote:

Does this mean something, or am I just obtuse this afternoon?

Zero sum game of war means the losers get nothing and the winners take it all.

But how to embed the propaganda war in it? I hope i get enlighted!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:10 pm
frolic..
A study of a form of the propaganda must be your theme in this thread. I merely say that a fruit of the study must be applied flexibly in the situation.
(I have one message in the reply above: a game of war is possibly a negative-sum game, which is no need to emphasize as it is obvious, remembering that in the course of the game multiple of lives are going to be lost.)
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:11 pm
The zero-sum game is closely associated with the realist paradigm, or i in the case of Bush, neo-realist. Realists belief the worldsystem is a system of anarchy. And you have to pursuit your own objectives, no matter what the other states do. Diplomacy is one instrument for gaining a state's objectives, but ultimately the key instrument is military force.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:16 pm
Negative-sum game.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:41 am
The speech the US President George W Bush has made on TV is again a good example of war propaganda!

Some examples!

Quote:
"My fellow citizens, at this hour American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger.

Quote:
"To all of the men and women of the United States armed forces now in the Middle East, the peace of a troubled world and the hopes of an oppressed people now depend on you.

Quote:
"The enemies you confront will come to know your skill and bravery. The people you liberate will witness the honourable and decent spirit of the American military.

Quote:
"In this conflict, America faces an enemy who has no regard for conventions of war or rules of morality. Saddam Hussein has placed Iraqi troops and equipment in civilian areas, attempting to use innocent men, women and children as shields for his own military; a final atrocity against his people.

5. The enemy commits atrocities knowingly; if we make unfortunate mistakes, it is involuntary;
6. The enemy uses unauthorized weapons;

Quote:
A campaign on the harsh terrain of a nation as large as California could be longer and more difficult than some predict. And helping Iraqis achieve a united, stable and free country will require our sustained commitment.

"We come to Iraq with respect for its citizens, for their great civilization and for the religious faiths they practice. We have no ambition in Iraq, except to remove a threat and restore control of that country to its own people.

Quote:
"I know that the families of our military are praying that all those who serve will return safely and soon.

"Millions of Americans are praying with you for the safety of your loved ones and for the protection of the innocent.

"For your sacrifice, you have the gratitude and respect of the American people and you can know that our forces will be coming home as soon as their work is done.

7. We will suffer very few losses, while the losses of the enemy are enormous;

Quote:
"Our nation enters this conflict reluctantly, yet our purpose is sure. The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder.

Quote:
"We will meet that threat now with our Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and Marines, so that we do not have to meet it later with armies of firefighters and police and doctors on the streets of our cities.

"Now that conflict has come, the only way to limit its duration is to apply decisive force. And I assure you, this will not be a campaign of half measures and we will accept no outcome but victory.

"My fellow citizens, the dangers to our country and the world will be overcome. We will pass through this time of peril and carry on the work of peace. We will defend our freedom. We will bring freedom to others

Quote:
"And we will prevail.
"May God bless our country and all who defend her."

9. Our cause has a sacred nature;
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:28 am
Results will tell everything, now that a war has begun.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:54 am
I know propagandas are often crucial for the situation. (Books on my bookshelves tell that.) This time propagandas are for Bush, clearly.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:58 am
In the past, those who failed to understand a dominant propaganda had a fate to be subdued to the one who led the action. Humans have a long history, very long history.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 04:05 am
The Bush propaganda is a failure. too obvious and a see-trough all the way. The Americans are the only buying his crap. And thats because its very hard for the average American to get some objective information. Selfcensorship by the Newsagencies because they dont want to get punished or get labelled "unpatriotic". I find this a very tragic evolution. CNN or the Iraqi TV? Is see not much difference. Luckily the internet is a sollution for the educated few. I read an article the webservices of BBC world get more and more american visitors. Sadly most Americans speak only Engllish so its hard for them to get to more European, more objective information.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 04:15 am
A propaganda that appealed inside of the (to be) dominant group often had a power in history.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 07:01 am
The foreign secretary of GB, Jack Straw, today said that the overnight missile attacks had been on "command and control facilities" in Iraq and blamed Saddam Hussein for having "triggered the conditions" for war.

Straw follows rule #1 and #2!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 07:22 am
Very familiar sight of the history. Have you discovered anything new?
0 Replies