The Patriot Act hits home

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:23 pm
Last week, I met with my broker to discuss my retirement fund investments. The changes I wanted to make required me to fill out a new form required by the new Patriot Act. The new 6 page form replaced the previous 3-page form. It's questions went far beyond those previously ask. It demanded a history of my life: marriage status, past employers, family members, how many years had I had been saving money, and other personal questions. I was astonished and confounded by the apparent lack of relevance to what I was proposing to do: change some of my investments.

Analysis of the Patriot Act:
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/Terrorism_militias/20011031_eff_usa_patriot_analysis.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:55 pm
Thanks BBB for sharing one of the "details" that many will miss since there is a "war" to draw attention...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:35 pm
That's outrageous. Also has nothing to do with patriotism.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:37 pm
Was there anything that would have defaulted you to that status? race,sex or something like that? Just wondering.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
Just standard question under the veil of Patriot Act
Nope, just standard common actions in changing investments - same form required by everyone doing any investment business, I think.

Really shocking the depth of the questions.

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:06 pm
The Patriot's Act is patriots act like the Holy Roman Empire was holy, Roman, or an empire.

We'll get past this assault on intelligence and our freedoms.

Next election -- these creeps are outta here.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
Wonder if that means in account maintenance of accounts or what? I've made several (many) stock trades in one account this year, and nothing. A friend did say that his drivers on renewal of CDL's do have to do more when transporting hazerdous materials.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:22 pm
There has been a hazmat endorsement on CDLs for a long time, husker. There could be valid reasons for tightened requirements. On a retirement account, I can't see a basis for this type of questioning.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:43 pm
I know about the endorsement, I'm just saying they've added a lot to getting the endorsement now, for me I only have a passenger endorsement, so I'm not troubled yet.
0 Replies