The Patriot Act: Boon or Boondoggle?

Baldimo

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
ehBeth wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
The only ones that seem to be afraid and paranoid though are liberals.

Brandon and Baldimo are liberal?

Kewl. I didn't know any before.

~~~~~~~~

The whole redefinition of libertarian going on in this thread is intriguing. My poli sci profs would be, to be polite, puzzled about where people get their knowledge.

How did I get involved in this?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:58 pm
dyslexia wrote:
this quote from Fox certainly leaves me puzzled;
Quote:
He is one of the more liberal Republicans being more libertarian than Republican.

My general understanding is that Libertarians are more conservative than ordinary republicans.

A liberal conservative is still a conservative. Is that thing where all conservatives must all march in beat or else they somehow lose the keys to the executive bathroom? Why can't a conservative be allowed to have degrees of conservativeness? By saying he is a liberal conservative by no means imaginable make him a liberal.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
The only ones that seem to be afraid and paranoid though are liberals.

Brandon and Baldimo are liberal?

Kewl. I didn't know any before.

~~~~~~~~

The whole redefinition of libertarian going on in this thread is intriguing. My poli sci profs would be, to be polite, puzzled about where people get their knowledge.

Neither appear to be afraid or paranoid of our government. How do you figure they are liberal?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
Libertarians are liberal? Libertarians are basically Republicans without the religious right influence (not that there aren't religious Libertarians); like Republicans, Libertarians tend to be pro-business and anti-tax/anti-regulation/anti-big government--i.e., they're big fans of free market capitalism. They once were more generally tilted towards individualism and individual freedom (they favored free-market economics, but it wasn't the focus), but at some point most of the ex-hippies got nudged out and it became more focused on promoting capitalism. However, they tend to be a bit more extreme than Republicans, which is probably why they're a small party with little influence (as I recall, most Libertarians tend to vote Republican).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:54 am
DrewDad wrote:
Oh, wait. He's a Republican in Texas. He is a liberal.

The point of this joke, by the by, is that often in Texas one only has a choice of voting for a Republican or a Libertarian.

Also, it seems that the definition of liberal is one who votes against the Republican party line. I guess the Republican party has trademarked "conservative."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:08 am
Zell Miller could be considered a conservative Democrat.
0 Replies