source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,274 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:15 am
On the other hand, re Judge Brown, I read yesterday that "In the heyday of liberal democracy, all roads lead to slavery," she has warned in speeches.

Sounds a bit nutty to me, but hey, different strokes for different folks...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
Two comments:

1. The Brown confirmation fight is finished. Get over it.

2. It's time for the Democrats to put these appellate court nominations in perspective. Appellate court judges do not rule on cases all by themselves: they typically review cases in panels of three, so it always takes at least two judges to agree on a decision. Putting Janice Rogers Brown on the DC Circuit or William Pryor on the 11th Circuit won't suddenly allow them to go wild and overturn every New Deal or Great Society statute in the book. Even on the cases that they review they would still need to get one other appellate judge to agree with them or else they'll be reduced to issuing impotent dissents.

In other words, the circuit courts can withstand some ideological outliers: they're procedurally insulated. That's not to say that Brown and her cohorts are outstanding jurists: they're not. But the senate should put greater scrutiny on district court (i.e. trial court) nominees, who actually are the ones who issue decisions all by themselves, and whose decisions are affirmed in the large majority of cases by the circuit courts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Two comments:

1. The Brown confirmation fight is finished. Get over it.

That's good advice, I wish you could get the democrats to follow it in other situations.

For now though, it's important to review the process and to correct what can be seen as flaws in the sytem and to many, Boxer represents some heavy flaws. She has become the very model of a modern major hypocrite.

I am supposing you actually read the article above and read about her comments regarding Ashcroft. What are your reactions to what she said then compared to her latest rampage?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:01 pm
Boxer is a Democrat who acts like a Republican.

Do you have a problem with that McGentrix?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
That's good advice, I wish you could get the democrats to follow it in other situations.

I have no influence over the Democratic Party.

McGentrix wrote:
I am supposing you actually read the article above and read about her comments regarding Ashcroft. What are your reactions to what she said then compared to her latest rampage?

I assume that columnists will, as a rule, shamelessly distort quotations and use them out of context in order to make their targets look stupid/hypocritical/mendacious. Consequently, my reaction was one of bored indifference.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm
Where that only the case, ebrown_p. Instead, Boxer is a Democrat who acts like an escapee from a mental asylum.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:18 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Instead, Boxer is a Democrat who acts like an escapee from a mental asylum.

Right. That's just what I said.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
This is an example of the polite right wing which never stoops to name calling.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:39 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I have no influence over the Democratic Party.

McGentrix wrote:

I assume that columnists will, as a rule, shamelessly distort quotations and use them out of context in order to make their targets look stupid/hypocritical/mendacious. Consequently, my reaction was one of bored indifference.

Are you aware of what Boxer said about Ashcroft regarding Judge White? Do you see what Boxer is now saying about Judge Brown? Do you see the hypocrisy oozing from under her skirt?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm
I only wish some of the male members of the senate had "Bab's" cajones............
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
Me, too. I wonder, if any of them did, would McG object as much as he does to the women?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Are you aware of what Boxer said about Ashcroft regarding Judge White? Do you see what Boxer is now saying about Judge Brown? Do you see the hypocrisy oozing from under her skirt?

I know nothing of Boxer's comments except what is included in this column. Furthermore, I have no reason to assume that the column accurately or truthfully represents Boxer's statements or position. Hence, I cannot take an informed position -- and I refuse to take an uniformed position -- on the supposed hypocrisy oozing from under Boxer's skirts or from under any other article of her clothing.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:15 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Do you see the hypocrisy oozing from under her [Barbara Boxer's] skirt?

I am astonished that you care what, if anything, is oozing from under Barbara Boxer's skirt.

I thought all you conservatives spent all of your time thinking about what is oozing, has oozed or will ooze in the future from Bill Clinton's pants.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 06:46 am
Black people oppose Brown.
0 Replies