Serious lack of interesting jobs!!!

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:41 am
Once again im moaning about how naff my job is.

Ive just looked through a job site.I typed in the things i was interested in, nothing I could do came up(they all involved working with computers which Id like to get away from).Plenty of IT, secretarial, CAD,manager etc jobs

Eventually I gave up and typed in things like butcher, ghost, stripper and monster.
There were a surprisingly large amount of jobs in the monster section!!Sadly no stripper jobs tho.

Im just wondering where all the interesting jobs are.Id like to do something creative.
Are all these jobs given to overseas countries where they churn out goods for 5p a day??!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,401 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Charli

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:53 pm
Interesting jobs depend on . . .
Here in the United States . . . sometimes interesting jobs depend on education and experience. "Doing" sociology, teaching, and/or being a technical publisher are almost never boring. At least, not for long anyway. But they all need a few years of education to start with. And some years of "slugging it out" to arrive at a level of job satisfaction.

Decide what job you want and, within reason, what you might be good at. Then, go for it! Good luck!!! Smile Smile Smile
[/color]
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:46 am
There are plenty of boring times in most jobs. However, if you are generally doing what you like, or working towards what you like, it's not so bad. E. g. I really despise working on perl scripts, but I do a lot of other things at my job so I just grit my teeth when it comes to perl and then the rest of the time I'm fine.

Keep in mind, too, that many duller jobs often have to be gone through before you get to the good stuff. You can circumvent some of that by getting a good education but there are many things that only senior people do. Consider the life of a trial lawyer. Most newbie lawyers are not given complicated trials on their first day (although many DA's offices and criminal defense firms will often spring a bunch of tiny trials on an unsuspecting new lawyer, just to put their feet to the fire). The complicated trials go to senior attorneys. Why? Well, it isn't to diss the junior people, it's because the client(s) have to have good, competent representation. This is a part of the ethical rules that lawyers have to abide by. You can't just give a difficult trial to an employee because they're bored. You give it to them because they can do the job.

Same with doctors. Interns stitch wounds and lance boils. They hold compresses down to create pressure and they insert nasogastric tubes to get ODs to vomit. But they don't handle twelve-hour brain surgeries. This is because they aren't yet competent to do such things.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
I've been searching Craigslist daily for a while now (3 weeks?). It has led me to a ton of amazing jobs. I'm currently doing two and trying to win an essay contest (we'll see, I won one last year tho so it's somewhat possible).

I use the search word "telecommuting" and then search as many cities as I have time for -- usually start with New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. London has had some really interesting stuff, too.

You gotta look long and hard though -- not saying that if you go to the London section of craigslist voila, there will be your dream job.

And I definitely agree with Jes that a lot of times the more interesting jobs require a bunch of drudgery afore they get to the interesting part.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:10 am
I just looked at craigslist co.uk and up came a pic of a naked lady!!I think the address may be something different for over here.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:57 am
MG - describe your ideal job? What do you think you would be happy doing and might have a talent for?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:05 am
For years I have been into designing clothes and attempting to make them.I have a few folders full of ideas.
But recently thats gone to the back of my mind and ive got into making greetings cards.I like to use wood/metal(soldering)swarovski beads/gold leaf/scrapbooking etc.skills are limited tho.

I just know I need to do something creative.
Ironically the idea of having 'bit' jobs designing clothes for a theatre doesnt appeal to me.Unless Galliano or McQueen want to retire and let me take over I have no chance of getting in tothe fashion industry and even then there is no guarantee Il enjoy it.
Can you imagine getting a job youll think youll love and realising its just as dissapointing as all other jobs!!
The greetings card thing I could do,maybe even make the ideas into pictures.I hear ebay calling.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:27 am
Yes, be careful what you wish for.

I spent years working in Hi-tech/finance and now I'm a garden designer. Love it most of the time, but can't say I work less hours.

I'm not sure about greeting cards. I thought that industry was having a hard time competeing with email.

Do you just design or can you sew? If you can do the sewing and pattern making you could offer original creations. Many people have a dress idea in their head, but can't make it for themselves. Original one-of-a-kind wedding dresses are a big thing. Especially if the woman is not a first time bride. Dresses for the second (or third) time around are not as pouffy and many women want their own vision of a dress instead of what the magazines are showing.

When I first got out of school I placed a "situation wanted" ad in the NYTimes basically listing my abilities, education (art history/business) and interests. I got a call from a man opening an art gallery and he hired me to manage it .I stayed for five years, it worked out very well until he became ill and moved back home to Italy. You don't have to put in a phone number just a PO Box. It will screen out the less desirable offers.

Off to work - I'll check back.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:38 am
Ive contacted fashion/sewing companies.One was very unhelpful and was a dead end, he had no enthusiasm for the job he was trying to promote.
LAst year I was in talks with a lady who had her own fashion business and was looking for a dressmaker,we talked alot and it looked promising but i havnt heard from her since December.Id did lots of research and found Id have to start up my own company if that had gone ahead which would have meant working out if it was financially worth it, plus Id have to insure my workplace as it would be seen as business premises etc i dont really have the space to do that kind of thing, Id need a big workroom.Im completely disheartened and have gone off the idea.

I see what you mean about greetings cards competing with emails but i believe there are still people who are interested in the personal touch.Maybe older/religious people prefer them and it could take off around christmas time with certain themes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:21 am
Here's craigslist for London:

http://london.craigslist.org/

Found this, for example:

http://london.craigslist.org/tlg/75506088.html

(Looks suspicious to me, but just an example of what's out there.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
Thanks,that was the site with the naked lady.I clicked on the pull down list at the left side, but went to the correct bit this time.

I shall keep looking.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:04 am
Hi, thanks, I had a look.
As I was reading it I felt I should be getting on with drawing a design to fax off to a company Ive found so Im getting on with it so I can make my fortune and take over the world!!Mwohahahahaa.
0 Replies