The Price of Gasoline

Ritajam

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 06:36 am
Do you feel helpless about the war?
You may be unable to do something about the position you have taken on it because you are too busy to take an active part. How about doing something easy and sure to produce results if enough people participate. The prices at the pumps have soared and there is no factual reasons for it other than the perception of the oil companies. They tell us it is because of the impending war but we know that in fact they are fleecing the public.
I received an e-mail that I would like to share and I would like to ask everyone who reads this to decide if this is a worthwhile action. It said that if 3 million people boycotted the 2 largest companies, Exxon and Mobil, they would be forced to lower the prices and following that the other companies would follow suit.
How simple is that? If you share this idea with all the people you write or talk to today and they in turn do the same .....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:56 am
This is an urban legend - see: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm
0 Replies

Ritajam

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:21 pm
It may qualify as an urban legend but I have assurances from near 30 people who will boycot and pass the word along. Thank you Jespah - I appreciate that you took time to respond.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
I do not know how to boycott Exxon. Here in California they renamed all their stations "Valero", and I have no idea if they are actually still owned by Exxon or not.

Haven't seen a Mobil around here either.

Anyone remember Sunoco? Sinclaire?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:01 pm
Ritajam...your idea of boycotting Exxon & Mobil is misguided, in my opinion. The "fleecing" that you allege is happening is, as Jespah alludes to, a myth. Energy prices are swinging pretty wildly due to a variety of things going on in our world. Oil prices today fell by about 8%, for example.
If you think your gasoline prices are too high, the first thing we would need to do is to increase the tax on gas to force consumers to stop buying gas guzzling SUV's and switch to more fuel efficient vehicles and mass-transit for commuting.
I'm not meaning to beat up on you. So here is a novel idea I will leave you with: When you go to the gas station tomorrow, don't fill up. Put only $5-$10 worth of gas in your car. If "everyone" did that, the price off gas would fall.
0 Replies