desperate teen seeking advice

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:38 pm
im having a hard time here....my brother just got into the naval academy, which is like harvard to my folks and im a junior in HS starting to look at schools. For the past few months since my bro has gotten in....all ive heard was how proud they r of him, everything about him. I am not overexaggerating when i say i have gotten totally ignored for months now. If he wants the car, he gets the car, if he wants to go out, he goes out...i get ignored and brushed off, my plans get broken to coincide with wut my brother wants to do. None of the colleges ive looked at are good enough to my parents...they constantly talk down about them. Not once have they offered to take me anywhere to look at schools either.

Things have been hard lately for me, aside from this, my social life has went down the drain...my ex hates me, my friends ditched me, and all i do is work to get my mind off everything now. I hate being home cause i hate having to put up with being treated like i am lower class to my brother. IDK what to do anymore...i cant talk to my parents about it, cause im just not open about things like that, but idk wut to do, ive slipped into a state of depression and im feeling so miserable...please help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
Bob, You're in a tough environment. But, guess what? I had three siblings that did well in school, and I was always the black sheep of our family. One example in grade school was my older brother always got gold stars and the American flag on his report card. Mine said "ci fights too much!" My mother never encouraged me to do well in anything - never mind any support. When I graduated from junior high school, I told her I needed a white shirt to wear for my graduation. She gave me a torn shirt, so I didn't go. To make a long story short, I barely graduated from high school - probably in the lowest five percent of our class. A couple of years later, I volunteered into the US Air Force. My life changed. I subsequently earned a degree in accounting, and worked in management for most of my professional career. I married a wonderful, intelligent woman, and we raised two sons we are both proud of. My wife graduated from high school, nursing school, and college with honors. I retired early, and I enjoy world travel. Who would have thought that my life would become so wonderful. So my message to you is don't give up. Prove to yourself that you can accomplish what you set out to do. You know what? I've had a pretty great life. I'm now 69 years old, and I look back in awe.
0 Replies

mike145k

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:08 am
grow up jealous
listen be happy for him cause with the world the way it is he could go to war any minute so be nice and you have to do better you need to study harder ,stay away from boys who steer you the wrong way and dont give up stop being jealous and grow up ok Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:57 am
MrBob--

Depression can get a life of it's own and make your life dangerous.

What is happening to you isn't fair, but if it makes you feel any better, it happens to a lot of people.

Since your parents worship your brother so much--what is your relationship like with him? Could you talk to him? Developing a good relationship with him may help you in several ways.

If not, I think you should confide in a school psychologist/counsellor. They may have some ideas for you on how to talk to your parents.

I wish you felt like you could talk to your parents. I don't know how things can get better if you don't at least tell them how you feel.

Could you ask their advice on choosing a school? Maybe if you make them think you're interested in their opinion, they will soften? Start a conversation with dad or mom about their college experience. Just attempt to cultivate a closer relationship with your parents and your brother....but the support of a school counsellor would still be beneficial to you.

Let us know what you decide to do ,and how it goes.
0 Replies