ARTIST RESIDENCIES......WHERE WOULD YOU GO?

shepaints

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:00 pm
Soda and CI thanks for the refreshing responses........

Not looking for love since my aka is "she'sattached".......

.....the Hamptons appears to be a haven for artists...... Many of the big names have had studios there.......From a Vanity Fair
article 2000

Basically, artists want to be someplace where artists are appreciated...............

Reason enough for a residency.....................
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 10:24 pm
shepaints<

Here's a second vote for Santa Fe.

A friend of mine who supports herself as a painter tells me that the reception of visual artists and artistic ideas there is unequaled.

Another friend who lives there and works in another profession says Santa Fe and its vast collection of diverse artists have made her pick up her own brushes and acrylics. She and I went to college together, and she had no interest in art until she moved to Santa Fe.

If you seek a vast metropolitan area in which to thrive, San Francisco and New York City are often preferred.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 10:37 pm
The very things worth painting arent in Santa fe anymore. its like setting up shop in atlantic City to get a feel for the ocean.

The economy is a saprophytic one of selling to tourits. i lived their when I accompanied my Uncle who was a geologist back in the 50s and 60s. As a little kid, I saw scenes and vistas that today are all full of yuppie mini mansions that crap up the vistas. i get real sad evevry time I go to Santa aFe . its all phony now.
The secret places are the old rust belt towns that havent fixed up their old factories and wharves. this fascinates me, its so ugly that its neat.

2 years ago we rented a place in DOver Foxcroft me and had enough stuff for years worth of subjects. The decaying fishing towns along themAine coast are picturesque, interesting and a step away from being restored into a dISNEY vison of New england fishing towns , so Id move up the Me coast from Machias North and put in and paint and sculpt and write.
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 07:47 pm
Shepaints: I thought you meant artist colonies. There is a book on this. As far as living soem where that it is possible to make a reputation that takes more thought.I f you have already lived and worked in a big city. You could go to a small town and your big city status will help you in the boonies.Robert Hughes wrote an article sometime ago to the effect that you can't start out in New York any more as it is too expensive. You mentioned the Hamptons? Do you have that kind of bread?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:40 pm
art residencies
Just discovered this thread. Frankly, with the internet--especially the art section of a2k, AND if we ever learn to share works cybernetically (did someone once mention our own gallery?)--there is plenty opportunity to exchange ideas and works. I would like very much to know many of you personally and watch you actually work, but that's not practical. A2K is the next best thing.
0 Replies