ARTIST RESIDENCIES......WHERE WOULD YOU GO?

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:48 pm
Interested in any info re: artist residencies...... Idea Idea Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,551 • Replies: 24
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:55 pm
Shepaints, welcome back. I am not sure what you meant do you want to know where artists reside - like in clusters? Or do you mean how are they set up to work in their homes and workshops.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:59 pm
Whoops did not read the whole question. Where would I go, hmm, I would like to go anywhere I could have lots of light and lots of room. Famerman seems to have the ideal set up on his farm in PA. Sometimes I think about going home to Colorado or further South West in Texas. But I am here for at least for now and am looking for a place in down town Fort Worth, I would like to have a little gallery and living quarters for above. Right now there are a lot of great places being renovated in down town and they are not to expensive but the neighborhood is still a little rough.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:54 am
I think the artist resides in his or her mind and makes a place to be wherever he or she lands. Sometimes that is not so hospitable. Are you looking for a colony? or a building with a lot of artists in it? Are you looking to move anyway and wondering where artists are????????

Talk more with us, shepaints!!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:29 am
Hi all.....just back from a mini vacation and enthused with my travels.

By artist residencies, I am referring to specific places like the Vermont Studio Centre which receive applications from artists,
writers etc., to rent out studio and living spaces etc. at a minimal
cost for a few weeks or months.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:22 am
http://www.torpedofactory.org/images/water2.gif

The Torpedo Factory Art Center - Alexandria, Virginia

This is one I would consider I have visited many times and it is great. The artists are friendly the there are some good artists in residence.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:19 pm
I went to Vermont Studio Center and would go again in a heartbeat.. the quality of artists in residence is world class, the atmosphere nourishes creativity so well, and the food was great. I looked around at others and haven't seen one I think compares; although there is one out in Provincetown (Motherwell was there years ago) Mass; and I can't remember the name off hand.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 07:05 am
The gallery that I co-own houses 11 working artist studios plus a big common room for meetings, big projects, etc. We put up a new show every month, all modern/contemporary. Last night we sat around and discussed the fine art of procrastination. Three people showed up, but it was fun. There's a lot of energy up there. We share ideas, techniques and push each other to be better than we were a month ago. We are the only gallery that exhibits "museum style." It's been 21/2 years and we're now starting to see an increasing number of "regulars" coming up to find out what has happened since the last show.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:37 pm
Kayla that sounds heavenly to me. How much does each artist have to contribute financially for the use of your facility?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:20 pm
FYI, heres a nice list, and I know Ive seen books with great detail, Im sure you could pick up something on Amazon as well

http://www.artistcommunities.org/members.html

colorific?=Fine Arts Work Center In PTown? its in the list above as well.

I dont think I could choose and I think all have a great value, no matter where they are. I also think those that combine artistic catagory's are very interesting, and those that are catagory specific are great for learning and expansion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Interesting Discussion Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 04:50 pm
Im always more wired to do work when Im not at home. I use my home studo to redo ideas and set up larger pieces. I like plein air and one place Id love to be a permanent staffer is at Blue Hill Maine's center for arts (I forget the actual name)

We own some small properties in Lancaster and sometimes(in between tenants and repainting time) I like to work on city scapes from a house .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 07:27 pm
I've put the artistscommunities site on the Helpful Links but didn't check if the previous places were mentioned on it. Will check and add those if they aren't...ah, perhaps later tonight. I have scads of emails and a racking cough.
Whine!!!

(Luckily I think distraction, as in a2k, is a perfect antidote...)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:19 pm
I prefer working on some aspects at home creatively after the images are 'done' so to say, I guess actually being out and about taking shots is the most creativity but, making them 'artistcally perfect' Wink is done at home at my own whim of creative juices flowing.
Lately I have really enjoyed going to the old studio barn <other than freezing> and sitting with the customers to design everything as well. And I wont enjoy the day that is soon on its way when I wont being going there anymore, my thoughts are ... gosh, what shall I do with myself? How can I? I might just camp out there on occassion if I need a lift but, Im certain that the next year will change it so dramatically that I dont think it will be the same.
I have gone to a couple of group events, and although informative and interesting, I could live without them. Around ehre they tend to be...a bit off really is the only way I can explain it.
I had a friend who had studio space in a co-op here in Mass, and it was a fabulous place, you could feel the creativity flowing everywhere..probably helped that its an old factory, and has that charm about it already but, being around so many others, and having a common goal, that is a fabulous feeling. Certainly doesnt hurt.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:17 am
I believe there are many, many artists in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico where they also have residencies.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:24 am
Quinn.....like you, I would probably do my best work AFTER the residency, but certainly being in a new place surrounded by creative people ideas and opportunities refreshes, provides impetus, energy.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:52 pm
The studio rents range from $90 to $300 a month depending on size. Over half of the studios have windows that face Main St. Because we are upstairs in an historic building, our walkin's are not as numerous as the other galleries, but tend to be more knowledgeable and alert. To give you an idea of the usual atmosphere, today's activities ranged from matting and framing for a show at the center for adults with developmental disabilities, gezzoing, painting, listening to Randy Newman greats and conversations on Outsider Art, abstract Southwest Art, Morman baptism, the war, how to cut glass and Tom Eyen's play "White Whore and the bit Player." Pretty good for a Saturday in the birthplace of Thomas Kinkade.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:50 pm
Kayla that sounds like the place for me I hope I can find something like that here in Fort Worth the birth place of B*** S***, nah, just kidding but they do call it Cow Town.
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:35 pm
The trouble with artist residencies : one, your spouse usually has to qualify.2 , will it really help your status as an artist.?The best thing to do is to get a grant or some financial support.If the art colony doesn't pressure you to socialize ,than that is a plus.Most of the great art wasn't created in a collective.Although we see that currently that is a direction some are taking in Milwaukee, Chicago, California. Gorky once held a meeting in his studio to discuss the competition of a titan like Picasso. He suggested they form a collective , nothing happened after this suggestion.The Wurlitzer foundation in Taos is supposed to be good. They give you a house or apartment. Yaddo may help your resume you are selected because ,you are believed to have merit as a creative person. Macdowell you can apply. There is a book out on this question, try the library.Over the years , most artist relationships don't last . I used to keep in touch with fellow artists. Some I now hate and some hate me.A lot of artists have romantic problems. Rothko had two bad marriages. Kline's wife was institutionalized.So if you are looking for love and companionship there look out.Sorry to take on such a negative tone. Studies on scientists have also shown that solitude was a sphere that had more creative moments.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:49 pm
I didn't read through all the posts, but it seems Santa Fe, NM, and Mendocino County in Northern California are ideal artist residency areas. Wink c.i.
0 Replies